Feature-packed with smart ideas and offering the sport's latest shape in the entry-level segment, the Starts make learning to windsurf and planing in the straps easier than ever.
The original Start from 1999 was the board that changed windsurfing from a difficult sport to learn into a sport that you could learn in just 60 minutes. Many of its features continue in today's Start:
- Super wide shape: therefore ultra-stable.
- Full EVA deck: makes the Start comfortable and fun to ride on.
- Convenient carry handles
- Beginner footstrap positions
Other features are new, with each new generation of Start boards over the last eight years bringing in new ideas and evolving the concept to continue to make windsurfing easier and easier to learn and teach.
Ultra-stable and also fun
- More glide thanks to longer shapes with a low, slender rocker that makes getting on to the plane smooth and easy.
- Early planing: the extra-wide tail of the new Starts allows them to plane early and easy. The quicker you get planing, the quicker you get hooked.
Smart deck design
- Contour deck: Normally, a deck is mostly curved towards the outside edges. This means that the strap positions need to be out on the edges to be comfortable, but then getting into the footstraps is very difficult. If the straps are positioned closer to the board's centre line, the deck will be flat and uncomfortable. With Starboard's Contour Deck, specially shaped recess makes the deck comfortable when the straps are positioned inboard. This makes it easy and natural but also comfortable use the more advanced footstrap positions.
- The extra thick rail section in the middle of the board adds extra stability. The deck is totally flat in the area where entry level sailors will walk around the first hours onboard.
- Colour coded deck: different colours on the deck indicates both ideal foot positions and sail positions: for uphauling, for medium-power-zone and for more-power-zone. Makes learning and teaching much simpler.
- The third generation Clipperbox system is the easiest and most functional daggerboard system ever. Its clip system is super smooth and easy to operate, it's totally sand-proof, strong and reliable.
- The rubber lips on the bottom are back-plated with L-shaped plastic strips. This totally prevents any water from gushing through the daggerboard case when the daggerboard is retracted and board is planing. For the first time, you can feel the efficiency of a non-daggerboard board in a board with a daggerboard system, so learning to plane becomes easier than ever.
- The new Clipperbox daggerboard 570 also features a stronger handle fitting and a new rake angle that is less upright than before, providing a more forgiving and directional ride. Molded in a more flexible plastic, the new daggerboard is lighter and provides more lift making the board livelier upwind.
Integrated nose protector to protect the board from mast impacts.