PDA

View Full Version : What tape should i use to fix the grip?

fibrespar all carbon boom
24th February 2011, 02:31 PM
Hi there,
I have a new boom with a few tears in the grip. A friend told me I should tape it up so my question is what kind of tape should I use? Im thinking electrical but is ther a better solution?

Thanks.

Farlo
24th February 2011, 04:20 PM
Electrical tape is a good solution at least. I've been using it for years. Not too visible and doesn't slip. If the tears are too deep, fill-in some soft gum before applying the tape. Two turns will be OK. If it is in the holding area, cut-finish outside down so you won't remove it when sailing.

Ken
25th February 2011, 12:33 AM
The electrical tape I am familiar with is black, with a slick surface and never sticks very well. Duct tape (comes in black) is stronger, more sticky and has a little texture. If the tape where you normally place your hands, it will eventually come off.

Gluing the boom rubber back on with a contact cement will work well too. It just takes some care and time to keep it off the surface that your hands will be on and to let it dry sufficiently before sticking the surfaces together.

Farlo
28th February 2011, 05:50 PM
If the grip is not cut off, then neoprene glue will fix it. However if the damage is where you hold the wishbone, the tears will most probably reopen. Add two turns of (wide) electrical tape. It will normally stick on itself and resist to water quite well. Turn outside down and it should not move. I tend to tear off the grip with my right hand but since I repaired it this way it stayed for years. Black tape always better on black grip, as Ken suggests.