PDA

View Full Version : iSonic with no-cam?

nicolo.piccolomini
2nd March 2011, 02:27 AM
Hi. As i was thinking of buying an iSonic later on, i was thinking is it ok if the sails i use on it are no-cam freeride sails?

mark h
2nd March 2011, 04:07 AM
Ideally, full race sails are best, but free-race twin cam sails also work great (even for weekend club/national type racing). Really depends on which freeride sail you plan to use. New performance no-cam sails like Point 7 ACX will be great with the iSonic (provided your not over powered club/national type racing etc), other performance sails like Tushingham T-bird will also be good. What sail were you going to use?

MOP
2nd March 2011, 03:55 PM
Hi!

Will severne ncx 8.0 and severne turbo 9.2 work ok on an ultrasonic 147?

SeanAUS120
2nd March 2011, 05:35 PM
Actually, nearly all the development for the P7 AC-X was done on iSonics (and RRD X-Fires). If you aren't racing or want massive wind ranges out of one sail size, no-cam sails are so much more fun, lighter and easier to rig. Every brand makes a no-cam sail - you can't really go wrong.

For sure they will work on the Ultrasonics as well. Might not go as fast as a locked-in, fully-cambered race sail; but they are a LOT easier to waterstart and nicer to rig.

I would think the 9.2m would be a nicer choice than the 8.0m for lightwind blasting, but if you have both, that's a nice combo and will give you a lot of range on the UltraSonic.

nicolo.piccolomini
2nd March 2011, 10:43 PM
ye i use a north x-type performance no-cam sail so i believe that it should work out as you said.
would the north natural crossover sail work well aswell then?

mark h
2nd March 2011, 11:11 PM
Nic
The X-type will be fun with an iSonic, no problems.

Sean
Interesting to hear that the AC-X development was done on the iSonic. After my long love affair with Northsails, P7 are the first brand ever to tempt me to be unfaithfull:) even if it means buying a set of masts. Im also waiting to see what develops with the P7 MvM speed sails as these, (I guess) will be super quick.

Farlo
3rd March 2011, 12:28 AM
Hi Nicolo, I have some doubts about the Natural. You may have a lot of drag In big sizes and not enough grunt in small sizes. Some years ago I got its ancestor (the Tonix). It was not suited at all for slalom boards and I promptly changed it for a no-cam freerace (the excellent TransAm which I still use). IMHO those freemove/crossover sails have much less wind range and much less speed. Not sure they are anything good.

nicolo.piccolomini
3rd March 2011, 02:05 AM
Hi Farlo, are you sure about the natural? because i just bought it last week and although im going to use it for the first time next week i checked all the reviews on it and said that it was much more performing (this of course talking about the 6.2< versions as they have an extra batten and cross-batten) than its predecessors. i totally agree with you that its not a performance sail but i was thinking that with a freeride board it could be quite well performing. the one thing that is true is that below 6.2 it is not performing, and this was agreed upon by online sail revews.

Farlo
3rd March 2011, 09:21 PM
Hi Nicolo, I took the Tonix 5.8 because I had already the TransAm in 7.3 and I thought that in higher wind a freemove sail around 6 mē would do a similar job. But it was not the case. The design is different in big sizes, indeed, and the Natural may be greatly improved compared to previous versions. You have to try. But I keep thinking that no-cam freerace sails: Naish Sprint, NS X-type, Severne NCX and the like are better options on a pure slalom board like iSonic.

davide
3rd March 2011, 10:21 PM
Hi. As i was thinking of buying an iSonic later on, i was thinking is it ok if the sails i use on it are no-cam freeride sails?
Ciao Nicolo,
I use cams sails with my slalom gear, but this year I got a 6.0 HotSail Speedemon as a cross over toward B&J. I am pretty sure that in terms of pure top speed the difference will not be that much with my 6.0 GPS. I am not sure with sails bigger than, say, 7.0, although Pritchard handily won the Ventana challenge with a 8.5 twin-cam freeride Ezzy sail on an Isonic. I suspect that for recreational/racing-at-local-level the most important factor is sail size, rather than yes/no cams. Cam sails got much simpler to handle but a full on race sail is still an hassle, especially if you dunk it. So maybe a narrow luff pocket twin cam is all you need as a compromise.

nicolo.piccolomini
4th March 2011, 03:10 AM
ok thanks everybody. by the way farlo as soon as i get an opportunity to use my 6.2 North Natural 2011 i'll let you know how it feels and performs .