PDA

View Full Version : Board overlap: Kombat 97 and Isonic 101?

Unregistered
16th May 2011, 06:19 PM
Hi,

Me: 75kg, straps, harness, waterstarting, some jumping, the gybe is closing in.

I currently have a Kombat 97 (-07) as my biggest board, with a biggest sail of 6.4 (NP Excess). I would like to get som more time on water, and for this I am thinking of a bigger sa il (7.5-7.8), and a board to go with this. Some board overlapping is ok, since there are times that I am only able to bring one board. I have been looking into the Futura 111 or Isonic 101, which both have a rec sail range of minimum 8.0, and still goes down a little below 6.0, which, I guess, would be able to satisfy those less windy summerdays. Looking for models -09 or newer. So far, I have tended to enjoy a board the most when it is equipped with a sail close to its max specification.

Will the Kombat and the Futura be "too" close in behaviour, as they are both (more or less) considered freerides? At the moment I have no plan of selling the Kombat, since it is a very nice companion when the waves start to build, but when there is less wind and less waves I can experience it as a bit "not that funny". Still, with flat(ish) water, and powered up, it also delivers...

Or, should I take the next step and go for the iSonic (maybe one size less than the Futura above)? Would it reward me on those not-so-powered-up sessions with earlier planing, higher topspeed when the waterstate anyway does not invite to "playing around"? I mostly sail choppy/small waves, I have not any "really" flat water, but rather longer or shorter waves.
The iSonic might need another sail with more racing specifications than the Excess, but I might leave that for next year's budget...

Please share your thoughts, and experiences. Suggestions regarding other sizes is also appreciated.

I have been offered a iSonic -10 Woodcarbon for a somewhat nice price, why the priority of my questions have been increased...

BR
Kombat

Unregistered
17th June 2011, 02:56 AM
Have you sorted yourself out yet? If not would you be interested in a isonic 111 and 7.8 Lightning, could also do a 460 75% Tush mast and extension if needed.

BelSkorpio
17th June 2011, 04:06 AM
I have an IS101/2009 and I always become lyrical about this board. I just can't help it.

It is by far the best board that I've ever had, and I've had a few. (SB and others)
It's so versatile, lively, fast, easy and has an enormous wind range.

If I had to choose for a 1 board solution, I would definitely go for this one.

Because I'm 87 kg, it is not the best board in light conditions, although it planes from minimum 13-15 knots with a 7.8m. Normally in these contions I would be on my IS122 / 8.8m which is much more comfortable.
From 16-20 knots the IS101 becomes a rocket still with a 7.8.
From 19 - 25 knots I use a 6.7 sail on it and I feel like in heaven. Rock stable, fast, sharp gybes, really the sweet spot, super !
From 23 - 30 knots I can still use it with a 5.7, but then I prefer my IS87.

With your weight of 75kg, it will even be good in light winds. But be careful. It has only a volume of 97L.
Perhaps an IS111 will be better for you. Ask Ken, he's the same weight like you and has the IS111.

My experiences are on a big lake next to the sea, so fairly flat water.

I suppose that there will be some overlapping with your kombat, but the latter will be better on open sea (bump & jump),