PDA

View Full Version : Bjorn wins the PWA Aruba Slalom

BelSkorpio
27th June 2011, 01:47 AM
Ben Van Der Steen 2nd place !!! Gefeliciteerd, Ben !

Going well for the SB riders.

mark h
27th June 2011, 02:35 AM
Great effort from PWA with live streaming and commentory. Great news to see Bjorn and Ben ahead of AA. There will good party tonight:)

BelSkorpio
27th June 2011, 03:23 AM
Yes, really great effort of the PWA.

I really like the live streaming.
Thrilling slalom heats.
Keep up the good work PWA !

nonopr
27th June 2011, 08:05 AM
The legend is back. Serious mistakes made a very tense racing this time.

mark h
27th June 2011, 04:22 PM
Bjorn would have had the event wrapped up sooner if he had not gone to the wrong marker buoy:) Big up to Sara Q, blistering speeds that would put most of the men to shame, well done:)

Unregistered
27th June 2011, 07:15 PM
Does anyone know wich como was Bjorn using?
By the photos, the sail was most of the time a 8.6. What boards he used?
AA on 112, and Gonzo on 121. Taty sailing on 6.6...
It seems that a lot of fast combinations were well used.

Remi
27th June 2011, 07:20 PM
Hi All,

Very happy about the results, just amaising success.

Bjorn was on 107 like Ben and Cyril and Taty on 87!!!!

All the best

BelSkorpio
27th June 2011, 11:44 PM
Hi Remi,

Were the sails 8.6 with the IS107 ?

davide
28th June 2011, 12:31 AM
Hi All,

Very happy about the results, just amaising success.

Bjorn was on 107 like Ben and Cyril and Taty on 87!!!!

All the best
Even more interesting is that I read that Taty was on a 6.6. If confirmed it shows that a light weight (he is around 70Kg, isn't he) can be competitive at the World Cup level with a small rig when a heavy-weight like Bjorn (110?) is using a 8.5. A good reminder for small guys, like me, to work on technique instead of trying to go big.

BelSkorpio
28th June 2011, 01:06 AM
Sure thing.

Don't forget that big sails create also a lot of drag.

It was really funny to see "small" Taty chasing the "big" guys with a sail that looked ridiculous small compared to the other sails. And what a speed. And jeezes, that guy can gybe. At a certain moment I remember him passing two guys with an inside gybe. Also there the smaller sail has the advantage of course. Wonderful to see. I really enjoyed it !
Didn't know he was on a 87. It were of course his conditions. Moderate offshore wind. I wonder if he can still pull it off in higher winds with much more chop.

BelSkorpio
28th June 2011, 01:38 AM
Something that always catches my eye is the span width of Bjorn's harnas lines.
It is huge compared to other riders.

Bjorn:
http://www.pwaworldtour.com/index.php?eID=tx_cms_showpic&file=fileadmin%2Fuser%2Fmain_editors%2Fimages%2Fev ents%2F2011%2FAruba_2011%2FdAY%208%2FA11_ls_A%20Re d%20Bull%20moment.jpg&width=800m&height=800m&bodyTag=%3Cbody%20style%3D%22background-color%3A%23000000%3Bmargin%3A0%3Bpadding%3A0%3B%22 %3E&wrap=%3Ca%20href%3D%22javascript%3Aclose%28%29%3B% 22%3E%20%7C%20%3C%2Fa%3E&md5=6e413922fdda5bc5875d4d2a6b394e89

Antoine:
http://www.jp-australia.com/2011/fileadmin/actionshots/popup.php?get=pwa10-01kor-slalom-aa-01.jpg&info1=Antoine+Albeau&info2=PWA+%2F+John+Carter&r=fileadmin/actionshots/

I've got my harnas lines somewhere in between.

Some riders almost have no span width at all.

Has anyone got something to say about this ?

davide
28th June 2011, 02:30 AM
Something that always catches my eye is the span width of Bjorn's harnas lines.
It is huge compared to other riders.

Maybe it has more to do with fine tuning the length of the line. BTW: both are using fixed harness lines and judging by the few times my Chinook line adjuster got trapped in the harness hook during a jibe I can see why!!!!!

BelSkorpio
28th June 2011, 02:56 AM
I see your point, changing the span width in order to adjust the length of fixed harnas lines.

But the thing is that I always see on every picture/video of Bjorn the very wide span width he uses.

Take also a look at SB's action video of the Isonic:
http://www.star-board.com/SpringSummer2011/products/board_isonic.php

Remarkable.

Deja Vu
28th June 2011, 06:48 AM
BD uses a low boom position, relatively speaking, and a wide harness line position because it works! He must be very comfortable with this set up and you can't argue about how fast he is. I've been following this guy since 1984, when he was just a kid, and it's hard to believe he's still one of the best, if not the best, slalom sailor on the planet -- he's also probably the oldest in the fleet now. What other athlete, in any sport, has been this competitive for a quarter of a century? No one I can think of. They used to call him the "Terminator" and for good reason!

Remi
28th June 2011, 08:25 AM
Hi All,

Bjorn (103kgs) & Ben (98kgs) was on 8.6, Cyril (95kgs) 8.5 on the 107 and Taty 6.6 on the 87!!!

His weight is around 75 kgs of only muscle, it's just and amazing athlete with a very good technique in jibe.

All the best

Unregistered
6th July 2011, 01:57 PM
Bjoern uses wide harness lines because his sails are so unstable.

Winterly
19th July 2011, 04:23 PM
Great effort of the PWA. Very happy for the good news.
Best regards

ghrohrs
19th July 2011, 08:17 PM
Bjorn is amazing

Chris Pressler
20th July 2011, 06:04 PM
"Spotty" just had a new top GPS speed and look how wide placed his lines are. Have a look on the second and third picture on the following article: http://www.continentseven.com/2011/07/19/new-gps-speedsurfing-world-record-at-sandy-point/
Obviously it can be fast placing them wider, if the rest of your setup fits for it. Out of my view it can help to stabilize the whole system of rigg board and rider, especially when the wind is shifty and gusty.

Cheers,
Chris

mark h
21st July 2011, 06:21 AM
Wide haness lines are becoming more popular for speed, definetly seems to help control in super over powered conditions and gusty winds.

I think Bjorn stayed with wide lines because 90's world cup slalom was on less stable sails. Bjorn also uses very long lines and a low boom, and you can see that he puts all his energy/strength into sailing fast.

BelSkorpio
21st July 2011, 02:46 PM
Yes, that's probably it, Mark.

Wider harnas lines probably don't let any (or much less) wind "escape", while with narrower harnas lines you easier open up (although not necessarily) the sail in overpowererd conditions.

It remains strange though that a speed king like Antoine, uses much narrower harnas lines.

Some use almost zero width harnas lines. Take a look at the picture of the Isonic product presentation of SB's web site: http://www.star-board.com/2012/products/boards/index.php?id=isonic

Remi
21st July 2011, 05:07 PM
Hi all,

It's just style stuff, some like very narrow harness line like me also and other like wider harness line and of course their style are different but both of them can go very fast.

All the best