PDA

View Full Version : which fin can l use

Unregistered
21st July 2011, 03:57 AM
Hello friends. Please help me. l have formula starboard 147 and point-7 ac-2 8,3.
Which lenght fin is the best for this board and this sail (8,3) ? l use fin 64 cm but l have feeling that this fin is too long. Thanx for your answers.

Remi
21st July 2011, 07:40 AM
Hi Unregistered,

For Formula racing is actually to small, but if you use only for reaching, it's another game. I was using this board for Speed Crossing in moderate winds and was using 62 and 10m. But remember on this particularly board the tail width is more important than the size of sail and will be difficult to go under this to get good performances.

All the best

Unregistered
21st July 2011, 02:01 PM
Thank you Remi
l was using sail 10 and fin 64. That was good combination but now l'm surfing at one place with stronger wind (around 18-25 knots) and l am using 8,3. Everything is ok (speed etc) l have just one problem. Board goes too much in the wind direction. Because of that l thought that l have too long fin. Or maybe wrong must position? What do you think about fin 56 with this sail? Thank you once again. Rene

Remi
21st July 2011, 05:12 PM
Hi Rene,

I didn't experiment so small fin on this board, but the best way is to test it. So borrow from a friend a fin of this size and try.

All the best

Ken
21st July 2011, 09:13 PM
Rene,

How much do you weigh? Size/weight will make a difference with fin choice. How long have you been sailing on the 147? Is this your first formula board?

First impressions on a formula board is that they want to go upwind more than any other board, but it doesn't take too long to learn how to bear off on a reach or downwind run. Mast position probably doesn't have much to do with your upwind problem unless you have it all the way back. A center location in the track is good. Slightly forward if overpowered and the nose is lifting and a little back of center for lighter winds and bigger sails.

I raced a 147 for a couple of years and never used anything smaller than a 68cm fin. There were times when a 65 would have been nice to have, but I only had a 70 Deb R13m and a Curtis 68. I also raced in winds over 25-28 knots a few times with sails as small a 6.6 and 7.6.

I am only an amateur formula racer and weight 77kg, but I could was able to manage the board in almost all conditions, with a small enough sail. My best GPS speed on a formula board was on the 147 with a 9.2 sail in flat water with the 70cm fin - 28.3 knots.

sergio k
22nd July 2011, 01:18 AM
I've experimented with diff fins sizes for the last 10+years on formula boards, older /first generation
you could go as low as good 56cm fin for reach runs/ high wind/ rough waters and smaller 8.0 m2 sail,
current generation boards with wider tail-62cm is as low as I would ever go, in my spot even 65 cm
not getting any usage, I've learned that 70cm still works well around the course in 99% of the time.

Unregistered
22nd July 2011, 04:20 PM
hey Ken
l have had this board for 6 or 7 years and l used only 9,8 10 and 11 m2 sails. Always with Deb R13 70cm. Now l have new sails Point-7 and l am trying smaller sails with 2 and 3 cam on the formula. It is easier, faster and more fun. Speed is 46 km/h. With point-7 AC-1 10m2 was everything ok but problem is with 8,3. Problem ???? Not huge problem but you must be more more careful. Nobody of my friends doesn't have smaller fin, because of that l asked here about length fin. have a nice day. Rene

Unregistered
23rd July 2011, 01:57 PM
Thanx Sergio. All the best. Rene