PDA

View Full Version : Phantom 377 -- Please don't do it!

Can 102
9th August 2011, 09:03 AM
I see that you will be coming out with a new raceboard. IMHO, this makes little sense. The raceboard market is small enough already without carving it up more. In Canada we recently held our Master's windsurfing championships. A growing contingent of people (13 in the fleet) were racing the KONA One. Eighteen others were on raceboards with a growing number in an unofficial Starboard Phantom/Severne Raceboard 9.5 fleet. There was significant interest in having more people on the Phantom/Severne set-up. Now you're going to change the board! Certainly in our fleet, no one will follow you. This is NOT Formula! You already have an excellent raceboard. Fleets are NOT big around the world and the economy is tanking everywhere. Why not consolidate your gains? I hear some of you saying "but this is a DEVELOPMENT class". Well, development classes only work when there is enough money to fund that development by continued purchases. Starboard effectively has a monopoly on the market -- RSX is almost dead, Exocets are rarely seen and Mistral, F2 and Fanatic no longer produce raceboards. There is an opportunity to support the Phantom 380 as a class and maybe even as the next Olympic board.

ZedZdeD
10th August 2011, 03:53 AM
Your points are meaningful, but on the other hand it is interesting and important to see Starboard continue to innovate in the area of longboards. We need such innovation to encourage a renewal of longboard windsurfing. I personnaly rediscovered it with great pleasure thanks to the Phantom 320 and am very interested by the further innovations of 295 and 377.

Remi
10th August 2011, 08:09 PM
Hi Can 12,

Exocet also have a new board and this is normal in an open class and very welcome. The concept I make on the 295 and 377 make the Race-Board a lot more Fun than before with a lot more performances. Imagine a board who work better in lighter winds but also who plane almost like a Formula. It was an impossible engineering before this concept, but it came true.
And this can make the Race-Board class really came bigger by interest more people. This class exist since 1988 and their was nothing who really make it more exiting. Their is chance that I will come for the World to show both boards, if you are their you can try and you will see all the picture.
For your information that will be Rsx or and Kite in the JO 2016, so we have time to prepare 2020 and this new concept can be a good base ;)
Have Fun

bushfire.one
11th August 2011, 07:21 AM
This is the ongoing dilemma with a manufacturer trying to innovate - do they not change anything to keep previous customers "happy" knowing that they are on the latest kit or do the try to make the best possible board they can? I suggest the later, otherwise we would be still sailing on Windsurfer One-designs (yes - these are still fun)! :)

By definition a raceboard fleet isn't a one design fleet even if it contains similar boards/rigs, so where Can 102 has indicated that a "de facto" Phantom/Severne one-design fleet has developed and is healthy in his area this should not prohibit the introduction of new kit. I think the only one-design raceboard still being sold is the Mistral One Design, (and soon the Phantom 295).

In our area (Australia) our raceboard fleets consist mainly of old raceboards with a few new ones thrown in, so having manufacturers being active in producing new raceboards is extremely important to ensure the class doesn't die when the old boards finally expire.

It is also interesting to note that in our area the new designs from Starboard & Exocet have not been much, if any, faster than the old designs, but I am looking forward to the time when a new design blows the socks off the old gear - maybe the new Phantom 377 is this board? At the end of the day the best sailor will always win, almost irrespective of the board they are on - in our area anyway.

I will be looking at getting a Phantom 377 asap - the design looks very interesting ( and my existing AHD is in pieces at the moment! :()

Can 102
11th August 2011, 09:39 AM
Remi, you've almost got me convinced, but the prices are almost prohibitive. When can we see more?

ZedZdeD and Bushfire.one, I agree that innovation is important (I bought at the end of the last wave of raceboard innovation -- the F2 Race 380). The fleet here in Canada seems similar to Australia -- old raceboards (F2 Race 380, Mistral Equipes, AHD, etc.). Sails range from 7.5 North Raceboard (yes, that old) to 9.5 Severnes. Very few people went to Formula because of the cost and there are only a few RSX. So, new board designs are interesting. However, with raceboard costs so high, no one is willing to upgrade on a regular basis. There is not much resale of boards, so it is either buy new or stick with the old stuff. Our "one design" fleet will not grow if more of the same board are not available. So, we'll just have different excuses around the bar after racing.

Bananentiger
11th August 2011, 02:31 PM
Is it possible to share more pictures of the board with us?
It looks interesting from the top, but do not see the rest.

rod_r
11th August 2011, 04:10 PM
......" I think the only one-design raceboard still being sold is the Mistral One Design"......

The Kona One is a one design class ISAF approved raceboard, and is doing well

Remi
11th August 2011, 04:38 PM
Hi Bananentiger,

Soon it will be possible, thanks for your patient

All the best

Sailboarder
11th August 2011, 07:20 PM
There are several International One-design classes that are active :

Bic T293
Starboard Formula Experience (only non-raceboard class compatible)
NeilPryde RS:X
Kona One Design
Mistral One-design
RS:One

I have the impression that T293 is the class with the largest fleet of active racers, followed with FE, RS:X, etc... Comments anyone?

There are also active national one-design classes, such as the Bic Hybrid.

Bic introduced the Hybrid because they felt there was a hole between their 293 class and RS:X. Neil Pryde has committed to fill the hole with their RS:One.

Remi, do you see the 295 has a competing class with the T293, or as a follow-up class ?

ZedZdeD
11th August 2011, 09:43 PM
I wish the different windsurfing brands could seat together and define a common one design class, with enough performance to be interesting for seasoned windsurfers, enough accessibility, technical and financial, to concern a broad audience, from the beginner to the most experienced ...

... and think this better than the previous attempts
open -> too difficult, not fun enough in strong wind
long raceboards -> not fun enough in strong winds
tiga -> poor construction, poor performance
RS-X -> too expensive, excessive in all characteristics
Formula -> same as RS-X, plus too fragile
Kona One -> lack of performance, disputable deck design, too long at the cost of fun in upper wind range
T293 -> too short and wide to be interesting enough in light winds
RS-One : maybe interesting, but possibly a bit too short and wide to be interesting in light winds

in my personal opinion the best compromise so far could have been something close to Phantom 320

If each brand tries it on its side, it it difficult to reach a critical mass given the limited size of the market. If they did it together, each one selling the same gear then with own brand and colors, it would be innovative and interesting, a material event and evolution in terms of marketing, and the way to reach the needed critical mass to create a class.

Remi
11th August 2011, 09:59 PM
Hi All

When I start this project 2 years ago it was to close the gap between the Bic 293 and the Rsx, I have one Bic 293 and Bic Hybrid 310 to make my test with kids from 40 to 75 kgs. At the end the Phantom 295 is a lot more fun in any condition with higher performances than the 2 Bic.
Anyway I will be probably at the Race Boards Worlds in Spain with the 2 boards Phantom 295 and Phantom Race 377 to show them and we will see what happen next.
But truly believe that this boards can change the perception of this kind of boards, FUN, FUN & FUN
All the best

ZedZdeD
12th August 2011, 01:38 AM
precedent posts refer to afirst photo of this board, where can we see it ?

bushfire.one
12th August 2011, 06:11 AM
Sailboarder -

There are several International One-design classes that are active :

Bic T293
Starboard Formula Experience (only non-raceboard class compatible)
NeilPryde RS:X
Kona One Design
Mistral One-design
RS:One

Quite right - I mispoke!!:o

Another one for the list is the Windsurfer One Design - this is quite an active class in my neck of the woods.

I suppose I was thinking about what type of boards would race in country/continental/world championships - the above boards - minus the MOD(board only) - would not be seen in these championships. In my area we have a small presence of all of the one-design boards mentioned above, but apart from the MOD, they are just not very competitive in a normal club situation (everyone sailing in the same race/same start). People don't like sailing at the back of the fleet if this position is due to the design of the board (you can't get away from sailor skill though).

We run several races a year based on VYC yardstick which is fun because it "normalises" the board differences of the fleet and the best sailor on the day wins.

Anyway, a bit off-topic. The new Phantom 377 has several new design area worthy of mention;

the sloping mast track - increasing the leverage when the mast track is in the forward position is interesting. It may indicate that the board doesn't like railing and needs a bit of help? Will it be harder to push the mast "up the hill" and easier to pull to the back? Lightwind railing is always a desired skill so this new feature may help this. In the past I have played around with larger light wind daggerboards to help this (as well as pointing angles). I must admit that the I felt that the Phantom 380 didn't easily rail as the older raceboards (I didn't own one so I'm not an expert here:)) so I am looking forward to see how the 377 performs in this aspect.

the bat wing stern - the most "revolutionary" part of the new design in my view. There have been some whispers of " it won't work" around the ether but I suppose there is always initial concerns for new stuff. I like how the batwing makes the rail line more parallel which should improve upwind ability. How the batwing changes the transition from displacement mode to planing mode is the big question. If the "hump" is reduced then it is a major win and likewise if the transition from planing to displacement is pushed back to lower speeds then this would be another win. My biggest concern is how the board will perform going deep downwind in planing, choppy conditions. The batwing will hold the stern of the board up due to its width and therefore the nose down going over the front of chop - hopefully there is enough nose rocker to prevent plowing into the chop ahead. Narrow stern boards can "sink" a bit in the above scenario to help the nose to keep clear. Wide tailed formula boards have "solved" this problem by having cutouts and/or short lengths and good nose rockers.

lower volume and narrower profile - not really a new design aspect but interesting movement from the 380. The narrower profile will allow better railing and is probably more inline with the winning board designs from the past. The lower volume is probably a good thing for all but the heavier sailor and is probably somewhat due to the batwind not adding much volume. A smaller board should help handling in the windier stuff.

I guess it is fun to discuss what might happen with the new design aspects, but I can't wait to try this out in reality. I wish I were going to the RB worlds in September to see it first hand but I'll have to wait until December to see one here.:)

Remi
12th August 2011, 06:57 AM
Hi All

I will post a video of the prototype of this Phantom Race 377 in action, the wind was under 10 knots.

All the best

Remi
12th August 2011, 08:10 AM
Hi All,

The Video : http://vimeo.com/27605795

All the best

Bananentiger
12th August 2011, 02:22 PM
I do not know why you do not like 380 Raceboards.
I do not know any other board which is capable for most off the conditions:
- Lake or Coast
- Low Wind (up from 2 knots) till High Winds (over 30 knots)
- achievable Speeds up to 30 knots when gong for your own and ~25 knots in races
- Go out Just for Fun or participate in Races (club/league/championship level)

The only disadvantage is the price for the whole material:
- New Boards for 2.500 EUR
- Riggs for 1.500 EUR

Here I see a chance for the OPEN 9,5 Class:
for 600 EUR in Material and ~100 hours of time you can buld your own board of your own design.
Someone offered me last year a custom made Raceboard by Peter Thommen build in 2006 for 2.500 EUR. So custom made and production of small series of race boards are as expensive.

I will wait to see the pictures of the Bat Wing and to understand then the red "lip" of the board. As it looks like that they would like to make the board capable for low and strong wind conditions. The Phantom was a good low wind and medium wind performer.

Sailboarder
12th August 2011, 04:48 PM
Now that I've seen the 377, I understand better where you are going. Hopefully, it will be a success able to become an Olympic class instead of the RS:X. The 295 will be a nice feeder class.

I still see room for an updated 320. With more length and volume than the 295, it would appeal to heavier sailors. Less length, lower cost and a more robust construction than the 377 would make it a practical alternative for recreational racers and freeriders looking for a longboard better than the RIO.

Remi, can you tell us what makes the new designs more FUN to ride than the Bic, and maybe than the Race 380?

Remi
12th August 2011, 05:09 PM
Hi Sailbarder,

The Phantom 295 as you can see on the video is a flying machine. I make also a special dagger Board base on a Formula fin who is soft in the tip who give you more lift and make the board more fun when you are on the rail. On top of that you have the mast position who is higher for up wind non planning condition who give you more leverage to get on the rail and keep it. The board also have a very early planning due to the wider tail and due the lower mast track you get more control for a long board like this. So you push the limit. All this together make the board a lot more Fun than the Bic.

For the Phantom Race 377 is the same concept but more extreme ;)

For 2013 I will probably make and Phantom Race 320 with the same concept.

Phantom Race 377 : Volume : 263 ; Length : 377 ; Width : 67 ; Tail : 49.1
Phantom 295 : Volume : 192 ; Length : 294 ; Width : 72.5 ; Tail : 52.5

All the best

Bananentiger
13th August 2011, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the Video.
Now I understand how the "lips" will work. Good idea.

As I belong to the heavy weight sailors, do you think this board will perform better for me than my current F2 Race 380 with only 265 liter?

Remi
13th August 2011, 07:46 AM
Hi Bananentiger

How much is your weight?

Personally I am 92 Kgs and it's work perfectly for me, the distribution of the volume is more efficient on this board and the key who is very important to get planning is not the volume on this board but the tail width and you can see is more wide than any Race-Board on the market, so you can be sure that you will plane very fast compare to the F2.

All the best

Bananentiger
15th August 2011, 05:30 PM
Am a bit more heavy than you.
But I have been using the last 2 years a Mega Cat with 250 ltr and had always diffculties to rail and achieve a constant speed and flow of the board.
With the F2 it is much easier for me to rail and to achieve a constant speed.
Therefore I like the bigger volume and shpae of my F2.

I think I need to test the new board to be able to compare.

CAN 32
20th August 2011, 11:43 AM
If you compare the stats for the Equipe II and the new Phantom 377, there is not a significant difference, with the exception of the wingers on the tail (which were an old [unsuccessful] design used back in the '80's on such boards as the Mistral Pandera). Why would anyone want to buy the new Phantom 377, when it has basically the same size, shape and volume of an already existing longboard that is available in most countries at a quarter of the price? In Canada an Equipe II sells for between $500 to $800 depending on condition. A new Phantom 380 retails for $3100 + taxes. While it's really nice to see longboards being produced once again I really worry that the current manufacturers haven't learned from the mistakes of the past when in the 1980's and '90's the manufacturers nearly killed longboard racing by pricing them out of reach of many consumers (my first Equipe II in 1994 cost me about the same as my new Phantom 380 just did last week!). Starboard has an excellent and successful design in the Phantom 380 so don't jeopardise the small (fledgling) market by making too many changes too quickly while jacking up the price at the same time. If it ain't broke... don't fix it!!! :)

Remi
20th August 2011, 09:19 PM
Hi Bananentiger

The Phantom Race 377 is 67cm wide with 78cm dagger board + the mast track who is 3 cm higher than the deck for up wind, all together this help a lot to get very quickly on the rail despit 263 litters. Hope this help to understand the concept.
Anyway the best is to try ;)
All the best

Can 102
25th August 2011, 09:22 AM
Another typical race night here in Canada -- four races in 5-12 knots. No planing for anyone. How is a 268 litre board going to keep up with a 305 (or more with the new Exocet) litre board?

CAN 32
25th August 2011, 11:41 PM
Probably best to stick to the 15-20 yr. old Equipe II's, Cats or Lightnings since they are about the same size as the new Phantom 377 and besides they are a lot more durable. I was hit by a 29er that was under a full plane with the chute up, a couple of years ago while racing on my Equipe II at CORK. There was no damage to the Equipe (it just bounced off the 29er) but there was a big scrape up the side of the 29er. I seriously doubt that my new Phantom would survive that sort of impact.

bushfire.one
26th August 2011, 03:45 AM
Sounds like there will be no Phantom 377s sold in Canada!!
I'll post my opinions as soon as I get my hands on one - probably December:D

I must admit that volume isn't everything. I was (at 90kg) quite competitive on my 250 litre Fanatic Mega Cat in the light winds - even against sailors on the Phantom 380. Technique & sail selection/tuning have a large part to play in performance.

Board fragility is definitely an issue. Any racing board made of carbon tends to be fragile and needs to be handled very carefully. The old boards were certainly very hardy - most of the boards in our fleet are still going strong 20 years+ down the track. The most recent of the old boards (e.g. AHD & F2 380) are quite fragile - not many of these left in my area.:(

How many raceboards are you getting to your races? Our season starts in a week's time - can't wait.:)

Remi
26th August 2011, 04:00 AM
Hi Can 102

5/12 knots you can be sure with the Phantom Race 377 will plane in this condition, now for the septic the best way it's to try and Can 32 funny to compare this board to the Pandera but their is absolute not possible to compare this boards ;)
Have fun in this fantastic class

All the best

CAN 32
27th August 2011, 08:34 AM
Sounds like there will be no Phantom 377s sold in Canada!!
I'll post my opinions as soon as I get my hands on one - probably December:D

I must admit that volume isn't everything. I was (at 90kg) quite competitive on my 250 litre Fanatic Mega Cat in the light winds - even against sailors on the Phantom 380. Technique & sail selection/tuning have a large part to play in performance.

Board fragility is definitely an issue. Any racing board made of carbon tends to be fragile and needs to be handled very carefully. The old boards were certainly very hardy - most of the boards in our fleet are still going strong 20 years+ down the track. The most recent of the old boards (e.g. AHD & F2 380) are quite fragile - not many of these left in my area.:(

How many raceboards are you getting to your races? Our season starts in a week's time - can't wait.:)

At my Club, we are getting up to 25 to 30 longboards out to our weekly races depending on wind conditions - less so on really light days. Most boards are 1980's and 1990's vintage raceboards but there is a growing fleet of Phantom 380's which (in it's current form) we find to be very competitive against the older boards. In winds above 15kts the Phantom has a distinct edge especially if the racer is using the 9.5 Severne Raceboard sail. We have 10 Phantom 380's in the Club right now and after the results they have produced this season there is a lot of interest from others in this board.

Our season ends at the end of September, but so far we've logged 50 races since the beginning of May. Hopefully it'll be windy until the end of Sept.

For me the Phantom is great since I am over 180 pounds and the board planes that much earlier than my Equipe II does. I'm very impressed with the 2011 Phantom 380 and see the impending changes for 2012 to be more of a step backwards rather than an innovation.

CAN 32
27th August 2011, 08:49 AM
Hi Can 102

5/12 knots you can be sure with the Phantom Race 377 will plane in this condition, now for the septic the best way it's to try and Can 32 funny to compare this board to the Pandera but their is absolute not possible to compare this boards ;)
Have fun in this fantastic class

All the best

Remi, you're right - there's no comparison between the Phantom 380 and the Pandera, since the Pandera was a lot smaller and considered to be a 'funboard'. My point was that Mistral put wingers on the Pandera in an attempt to improve it's performance, an experiment that ultimately failed. I see Starboard's choice to put wingers on the Phantom in the same light as what Mistral did and I don't think that there will be any significant changes in performance in the Phantom 377, compared to the 380 especially considering all of the other changes you are making as well. To me I see wingers on the Phantom as simply a gimmick which will probably disappear in a year or two when they prove to be useless. Starboard needs to stick with a concept that works (the Phantom 380 in it's current form - 2011 version) and work on tweaking it's details like making sure all it's components work (or are assembled) properly when the boards leave the factory.

Look at the legacy of the Equipes, Cats and Lightnings... people are choosing to sail these for a reason and very minor modifications to the shape were made during the time these boards were being manufactured (the only significant changes were in volume). Wouldn't it be nice if 20 years from now people are saying the same thing about the current Phantom 380??

Remi
27th August 2011, 02:04 PM
Hi Can 32
I think the better for you it's to try it and you will see by yourself also it's definitely look like not at any wingers have been done until now. Just for fun I call them "Bat wings", they start from the mast track until the tail. So the board have a very limited drags in non planning condition and this "Bat Wings" help also a lot to get planning because the weight surface is wider than any Race-Board on the market.
Anyway have fun in this class who is my favorite class also

All the best

tonymatta
8th September 2011, 05:40 PM
Why are the two new phantoms not the product menu on the website?

Remi
12th September 2011, 05:30 AM
Hi All,

New video of this Race-Board but this time the production one :

http://vimeo.com/28880323

All the best

gre26
18th September 2011, 02:19 AM
Hey!
I think Remi is pretty much right. No evolution can be made if people don't try new things, new designs. Besides none of us has actually tried that board. And as for those claiming it's like the pandera, it's not. The pandera had wingers, that is an entirely different concept. You know what other board has wingers? Yep, the F2! And time has shown that it doesn't work too bad. Anyway, tha race results will show whether it's a concept to adopt or not. In the meantime I will be enjoying my 2011 phantom 380 which looks so far to be a great board (apart from the super fragile - but then again super light - construction). So thanks a lot Remi for designing great boards and I can only hope you will keep experimenting and evolving the sport further!

Remi
18th September 2011, 05:26 AM
Hi Gre26

Thanks and you can be sure that my life motif is to try to produce windsurf more exiting and fast to make you guys happy and have fun
All the best

fin66
20th September 2011, 12:52 AM
Arghh Remi pourquoi !!!! you do so many nice boards, I just want them all ;)

Just had an awesome season in the raceboard class trying to beat Juha Blinnikka. After a 15 year break it was so much fun competing on a raceboard. Still going to continue at least to the worlds in Finland 2012. So I'm going to buy the phantom 377.
But then you desided to finaly put some double chicken straps to the formula, I have to upgrade my HWR. But you didn't stop there, no you developed the Isonic 117Wide, another got to have board....

What can I say, superb products. Been with you since 2001 and the 175 Formula... Suppose I'm going to stay for many years :)

Remi
20th September 2011, 05:52 AM
Hi Fin66

Just try and have a lot of Fun with all this toys ;)

All the best

Joe
26th September 2011, 09:59 PM
Cool idea!

Remi - any guess to when it will plane with a 9.5? (I could plane my Formula 161 with a 10.0 in 9-10 knots with no real pumping -190lbs)

At what speed would you switch from dagger upwind to planing upwind?

More videos would be awesome!

Joe

Remi
27th September 2011, 05:03 AM
Hi Joe

It's still a Race-Board so it will be faster with dagger board up wind but do better up wind than the 380 with out dagger board and of course with dagger board.
With my 92 kgs plane almost same time as a Formula with 11 and 377 with 9.5. Plane in tne lulls much easier than 380. This make a big difference who will help a lot for top ranking ;)

All the best

CAN 32
27th September 2011, 08:12 AM
Hi Joe

It's still a Race-Board so it will be faster with dagger board up wind but do better up wind than the 380 with out dagger board and of course with dagger board.
With my 92 kgs plane almost same time as a Formula with 11 and 377 with 9.5. Plane in tne lulls much easier than 380. This make a big difference who will help a lot for top ranking ;)

All the best

Huh???????

bh2905
27th September 2011, 06:42 PM
has anyone sailed one yet? is there any feed back on the 377 compared to the 380 ?

cheers
bh2905

Remi
27th September 2011, 07:36 PM
Hi Bh2905

The board is very new and first ones will be ship at the end of this month.

All the best

bushfire.one
29th September 2011, 03:49 AM
Hi Remi,

What fins have you used in the Phantom 377? Given the wide tail area when planing I would imagine that there are a lot of possibilities with respect to fin stiffness, twist and rake. In displacement mode the fin interaction with the centreboard is important, rather than just absolute lift.
What fin (depth/area/type) comes with the Phantom?

Thanks

Remi
29th September 2011, 05:05 AM
Hi Bushfire.One

The board is deliver with the Drake R13 52 NR who deliver already good performances but can be up grade with new Drake fins soon, stay tune ;)

All the best

JE-Sweden
6th October 2011, 10:23 PM
Hi there
I am racing the Kona One right now but I am missing adjustable masttrack, footstraps going upwind etc. So I have some questions for you.
How compatible are the 320 compared to 380 or normal long raceboards?
Will the 295 be a One design and soled and branded worldwide?

Best regards
/JE

Remi
7th October 2011, 06:21 AM
Hi JE

The Phantom Race 320 was create to be ultimate board fir the Hybrid Class under 320 but this class is dead since the last Race-Board AGM. This class now is under 310 and the 295 will be in this new class.

The next Youth/Master World we will be present with charter boards and yes this board will sell World Wide and start already.

All the best

JE-Sweden
7th October 2011, 11:07 AM
Hi JE

The Phantom Race 320 was create to be ultimate board fir the Hybrid Class under 320 but this class is dead since the last Race-Board AGM. This class now is under 310 and the 295 will be in this new class.

The next Youth/Master World we will be present with charter boards and yes this board will sell World Wide and start already.

All the best

First of all thanks for a superfast reply!

That sounds great, I hope it will be possible to try one here in Sweden and hopefully buy one too! I love the innovative design and it have adjustable masttrack and upwind footstraps wich I miss now.

Best regards
/JE

Bananentiger
9th October 2011, 07:57 PM
Hi Remi,

will Starboard be on the Duesseldorf Boat Show in January showing these boards,
the new 295 and 377 BatWing?
I assume this is my best chance to take a real look onto them.

Kind regards
Knud.

Remi
10th October 2011, 04:51 PM
Hi Knud,

I don't know yet if APM have them I think they will come with.

All the best

CarlosR
14th October 2011, 03:44 PM
I didn't read the whole thread but I'd like to ask about when are these new raceboard with "bat-wings" coming out. I'm thinking on renwewing my raceboard but it will be costly and have to start saving money from now (just studying engineering doesn't help you swim in money). I would also like to ask if the problems with the 2011 carbon board have been solved, I mean, when left minimally on the sun the carbon delaminates or some bubbles appear and I would not like my 2000€ board to get to that state after one month of use. By the way, been in the raceboard world championship in Spain and these boards simply flew!

Thank you

Remi
15th October 2011, 02:19 PM
Hi Carlos,

We use a new construction on this board to resolve this problems with Biax/Carbon on Deck and on Bottom, so the board will be much more stronger and also lighter. The dagger board also is lighter.

All the best

ZedZdeD
16th October 2011, 03:01 AM
please concentrate on quality of construction, durability, reliability, the 2011 model was already supposed to be a new construction, more durable than the previous one ...

a super light super expensive board which is dead in one year is a good way to definitively disgust your customers

Fanatic UltraCat and other past models were still up and kicking after 20 years, so it should be perfectly feasable, no matter if the board weighs a few reasonable kilograms more, I want my board to be more heavy and more durable

I want to read here that Starboard raceboards are robust, durable, reliable like concrete, not that they delaminate, bubble, become yellow, or, as I experienced personnally with two boards, absorb water

time to review your priorities, thank you

Remi
16th October 2011, 01:59 PM
Hi ZedZdeD,

So the new construction is definitely more stronger than the 2011 models with no more UD 80 who was the problems on this boards, now we are using Biax/Cabon 150g on Deck like the 2011 models but with also Biax/Carbon 100g on bottom, so more longitudinal crack or absorb water.

I am aware like you to make it better so the reason why this new board come on the market to replace the 2011 model and definitely change the image of Phantom Race.

The board will be the weapon and also strong and lighter, so perfect good results in 2012.

All the best

ZedZdeD
18th October 2011, 01:38 AM
sans rapport avec la Phantom,
je signale également un problème avec les footstraps de ma Futura 93 2011,
ils sont réglables par sangle, c'est le bon système, très pratique,
mais ils sont trop longs, même serrés à fond, j'ai les pieds (44 et toujours en chaussons) qui s'enfoncent trop profondément, sont difficiles à ressortir, c'est désagréable et très dangereux

bizarrement, les straps neil pryde à sangle et les straps sideon à sangle sont également trop longs

la plage de réglage n'est pas bonne
merci de régler également ce point important si ce n'est déjà fait pour 2012

Remi
18th October 2011, 02:03 AM
Bonjour ZedZdeD,

Ce point est réglé depuis 2011, les straps ne sont plus à sangle interne.

Amicalement

Joe
7th December 2011, 06:15 AM
Anybody sail a 377 yet?
Are they being shipped yet?
Would love to hear some reviews?

bushfire.one
30th December 2011, 05:12 PM
I collected my new raceboard from Sam at WSnS this morning - it was delivered late yesterday. After closely examining the four boards I selected mine, strapped it onto the roof racks and then drove back to home. Screwing in the footstraps and fixing in the centreboard took about an hour (remember to "soap" the footstrap screws), then off to my local patch of water for a christening! Unfortunately the southerly which has been so sweet this week was on its last legs so I only had 5- 8 knots. Without a raceboard sail (hopefully next week delivery) I rigged up the Severne Reflex2 9.2 and hit the water, knowing I would be underdone in the horsepower stakes, but excited to try the new weapon. After sailing around for about an hour these are my initial impressions;

(1) Nice on water control - easy to tack and gybe (light wind!)
(2) The board rails easily and is stable in different "tilts" - there is more than one comfortable position.
(3) The board accelerates very readily on a gust or pump.
(4) It is easy to pump onto the plane off the wind (even in the light winds) - the wide tail seems to do its job very well.

In my short time on the water I am impressed with the board. Of course this was only in light winds, but I feel it will be even better when the wind is up. I really like the fact that it is not too wide or "volumous" - the dimensions are very similar to my AHD ProRace 380, which was a winner in its time (and probably still is!).

Other things to note;

(1) It is not a light weight board - I measured about 17kgs with every thing on board except a fin - a bit lighter than my AHD. Construction looks very good. Solid and not too fragile.
(2) The centreboard works very well - I was expecting a bit of a battle here, but it rotates quite well (remember to silicone spray the CB before a session). Having said that I feel the centreboard is too low in the housing because it "bulges" the slot flusher when retracted. Some simple spacers should fix that.
(3) The centreboard is 78cm long. The included fin is a Drake/Debouchet R13 52cm.
(4) There is no universal joint included.

All in all I'm impressed with what I got. Testing against other boards begins tomorrow - the forecast wind doesn't look too good though.

http://iycwindsurfingevents.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/One1.jpg

Joe
30th December 2011, 11:28 PM
Hey bushfire - good review.

What is your guess on planing windspeed - 8 knots?

Thanks
Joe

JE-Sweden
30th December 2011, 11:47 PM
Sounds nice! There is something special with raceboards.. More money and I bought a 377 too.
Cant wait untill I get my 295 and spring!

ZedZdeD
1st January 2012, 03:04 AM
I very much hope Starboard will propose a Phantom 310 with batwings and carbon construction next year, to meet the new specifications of the hybrid raceboards definition. That would be a day one buy for me.

JE-Sweden
1st January 2012, 03:53 PM
I very much hope Starboard will propose a Phantom 310 with batwings and carbon construction next year, to meet the new specifications of the hybrid raceboards definition. That would be a day one buy for me.

As I understand the 295 will be the Hybrid for Starboard in the nearest future.

Remi
17th June 2012, 12:41 AM
Hi All,

5 Phantom Race 377 in the 10 first place and 2 in the 3 first place, congratulation to Max and Daniel for their 1st and 3rd place at this Race-Board Senior World Championship!!!!

http://www.raceboard.org/page0001v01.htm

All the best

Sailboarder
18th June 2012, 09:23 PM
Congratulations to you also Rémi. The 377 seems to be a very good board!

Do I understand correctly Max comment about the daggeboard? He would like to have a less powerfull one for windier conditions. Is it possible to use 2 daggerboards within the Raceboard class regulations?

Remi
19th June 2012, 02:01 AM
Hi Sailboader,

Yes it's possible to use 2 dagger board in the Race-Board Class but in this case I give him to try a new Dagger Board who is special light wind one at 82cm with totally new shape. Plan is to make this dagger board in production for 2013 as an accessories.

C6.1 : HULL APPENDAGES
L IMITA TIONS
(a) During an event a maximum of two fins and two centreboards shall be registered and used during an event except when a hull appendage has been lost or damaged beyond repair.

All the best

Sailboarder
19th June 2012, 10:00 AM
The final results shows total domination by Max, only bullets. Were the individual races tight or was he simply much faster?

Remi
20th June 2012, 01:32 AM
Hi Sailboader,

According to report I get, it was really faster with better up wind angle.

All the best

Remi
23rd June 2012, 06:18 AM
Hi All,

http://www.star-board.com/2012/news_events/read.php?post_name=finland-raceboard-worlds-max-wojcik-and-starboard-reign-supreme

http://www.star-board.com/2012/news_events/read.php?post_name=daniel-blinnikka-talks-gear-and-titleisms

All the best

tonymatta
24th June 2012, 08:13 AM
Hi Remi. Do you have a large lightwind centreboard for the phantom295? One person is hoding one in the photo from the world titles.

Remi
24th June 2012, 10:24 PM
Hi Tony,

This one is a Prototype Light Winds Dagger Board for Phantom Race 377.

It will be normally in production for 2013

All the best