PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasonic sessions, please add to get picture

unregistered
2nd September 2011, 01:55 AM
Ultrasonic owners, please add sessions to this thread to get a better picture about early planning/weights/sail & fin sizes used

Member kg Zeil Fin m/s m/s knots knots
MOP 88 9,2 Race R13 58 7,0 9,0 13,6 17,5
MOP 88 9,2 Race R13 58 5,7 7,7 11,0 15,0
Espen 9,0 Race R13 58 - 10,0 - 19,5
Mcross 88 11,0 Race R13 58 5,1 8,2 10,0 16,0
Hansspeed 88 10,0 Race R13 58 4,6 11,3 9,0 22,0
Crazyed 125 10,0 Race R13 58 6,2 12,3 12,0 24,0
Remi 90 9,7 Race R13 58 4,1 0 8,0 -
Average 4,7 8,4 9,1 16,3

Perry

mark h
7th September 2011, 04:57 AM
http://vimeo.com/28667101

davide
7th September 2011, 10:54 PM
http://vimeo.com/28667101
Nice video! The tune is one of my all time favorites!

Crazyed
9th September 2011, 12:13 PM
ultrasonic;
vapor 10 > fin size 41 cm select s11 elite max speed 67,3 km/h
vapor 8.6 > fin size 39 cm select s11 elite max speed 69,9 km/h

Naturel
9th September 2011, 01:12 PM
ultrasonic;
vapor 10 > fin size 41 cm select s11 elite max speed 67,3 km/h
vapor 8.6 > fin size 39 cm select s11 elite max speed 69,9 km/h

Bravo ! Your speed and size fins are Amazing !

it's not too difficult to have so small fins ?
No spin out with your fins ?

Naturel
9th September 2011, 01:14 PM
Nice video! The tune is one of my all time favorites!

Thank you !

Crazyed
9th September 2011, 02:58 PM
Bravo ! Your speed and size fins are Amazing !

it's not too difficult to have so small fins ?
No spin out with your fins ?

I have no choice for longer fins; because at strand Horst, the water is not very deep on the flat places where I make my runs. It's a different way of surfing, it's more difficult to lift up your board down wind; but I am learning fast to surf with smaller fins. There are a few preconditions to use smaller fins:
1) more downhole on your sail; 2 cm will do it;
2) more wind; the 8.6 for instance 20 > 25 knots, I use the sails overpowered;
3) be care full when accelerating for presure on the fin, most of the times I give presure on the fin when I go down wind.

BelSkorpio
12th September 2011, 03:31 AM
Yesterday, my first experience with the Ultrasonic (carbon) of a friend.

In 11 - 14 knots conditions, I was struggling a lot with my IS122 + 8.8 sail. On and off the plane, not really amused.
Normally I take my formula + 11 sail in these conditions.
Just when I wanted to go and rig my formual gear, I saw a friend with his Ultrasonic.
He had a 62 deboichet cusom fin, don't remember exactly which one.
He allowed me to sail a few racks with it. Lucky me :)
I used my Gun 8.8 Mega XS on it.
Result, ALWAYS on the plane.
Big difference (of course) compared to the IS122

My first inpression when sailing the Ultrasonic, I can describe in 1 word: LIGHT.
The board feels so light. It doesn't feel like a 90+ cm wide board at all.
It planes very early.
It has almost no volume in the nose.
I understand now that it is possible to use the board also in rather high winds, just because it's so light and feels relatively small.

The ONLY thing that I regret is that I didn't make time to rig my 11 sail and try it with real formula gear. To be honest, I have the impression that the board feels too light for this big and heavy sail. It's just an impression, because I didn't really try it.

So all of you out there, please share your experiences with 11+ sails !
I'd like to hear much more of this ...

MOP
12th September 2011, 06:50 PM
Hi Belscorpio

I remember that in the " light wind board" thread startet by Chris N, you said that in order to sail below 12-13 knots you really needed formula and at least 11 ,m sail.

Does US 147 change this picture in your opinion?
for exanple US and 9,5 sail?

Mop

mortadelo
12th September 2011, 08:33 PM
Hi Belscorpio.
I have sailed my US147 with a NP EVo II 10,7 and DEB R16 64 cm. No probs the board copes with the weight. Well up in plane it still feels light. Due to the less volume in the nose Y tend to ride the board with large sails with the mast track setting rather back.
\mn/ Miguel

BelSkorpio
13th September 2011, 01:13 AM
MOP,

With my weight (87kg), there's no way I plane in 8-12 knots without an 11m2. Perhaps from time to time when I catch a little gust, yes. Last saturday, I could plane all the time in 11-14 knots with the US + 8.8 sail, but very marginal, i.e. without power reserve. Such a pity that I didn't try the 11m2.

Mortadelo,

May I ask your weight ?
In what kind of wind conditions are you using the 10,7 ?

mortadelo
13th September 2011, 01:58 AM
Belskorpio,

Mi weight is 87 Kg and the wind condition that specific day was 12-16 knot gusty wind.
I can also mention that just that day we were only tree surfers at that spot. Me, a guy using his formula board and his "biggest" sail (7point 11 m2), and a lady on a kona.....

\mn/ Miguel

BelSkorpio
14th September 2011, 01:05 AM
Mortadelo,

Nice to hear that you find your 10.7 comfortable to use on the Ultrasonic.
Have you already tried with less wind than 12-16, say 8-12 ?
I think that a lot of people (like myself) are also interested how the US behaves in these "marginal" conditions.

Cheers.

MarcoM
17th September 2011, 10:27 PM
Today I got my US147 2012. What a nice looking board :)

I put some pictures with it. I hope I can surf with this board on tuesday with my North sails S-type 9,5.

I'll let you know

mark h
18th September 2011, 12:36 AM
Very nice, I prefer the look and feel of wood more than carbon:)

Naturel
18th September 2011, 02:32 AM
Today I got my US147 2012. What a nice looking board :)

I put some pictures with it. I hope I can surf with this board on tuesday with my North sails S-type 9,5.

I'll let you know

The tail is white not Wood like picture on starboard website !?!

What is the weight of your board?
You 'll see it's a fantastic board

Thanks

MarcoM
18th September 2011, 05:03 PM
Yes you are right the tail is white. maybe the painter liked his work to much :D Also the graffiti on the board is a bit different it is more red then orange. The bottom off the board is grey.

I have measured the weight of the board with the footstraps on it, it is 9,1 kg

MOP
18th September 2011, 09:45 PM
8 m/s US 147 Drake R13 58 cm ncx 8.0. quite choppy: 25 knots

BelSkorpio
31st October 2011, 01:16 AM
Today I've used the Ultrasonic 147 carbon / 2011 / standard drake R13/58 fin, with a 10.9m2 Gunsails Mega XR rig in 8-12 knots.
I want to share my experiences in these ultra light wind conditions.
My weight is 87 kg.
I'm not a professional, but I have about 4 years of formula experience without participating in any competitions.
I'm windsurfing for more than 20 years.

When I arrived at my spot there was only 5 knots of wind.
Too little of course and I was schlogging for almost 1 hour.

Then the breeze kicked in.
When I started planing, I immediately returned briefly to the shore to mesure the wind speed: 8-9 knots average.
A little while later, there came a lot of formula's on the water. Typical "rush fever" :)
If I compare with my formula, I think the formula planes a little bit earlier, not much.
The main reason is the fin, I think. I still need to find a better fin that gives more lift in these ultra light winds.

My worries about an 11m2 sail being too heavy and too big for this board were ungrounded.
On the contrary, an 11 sail seems to fit the board very well.

Planing is very easy and light. The board feels much lighter than a formula.
When the wind picked up to 10-11 average with sometimes peaks to 15 knots, I never felt too much power on the reach.
THe US flies over small chop and when you go downwind you never get the feeling that the nose wants to dive into the chop. No catapult fear nor ankle pressure like on a formula, where you really need to sheet in, on reaching courses when the wind picks up.
Without any doubt, on reaching courses I am faster with this board than with my formula.

BUT ! THe US is no formula, it's a slalom.
I've tried to keep up with a few formula guys. On a reach no problem at all. But when they point sharper, they all leave me behind for dead. They are all also a little bit earlier planing than me. If I had to race them in a typical course race, I would have no chance at all. There is only 1 course, I could compete with them, i.e. the reach course.

Actually, during the ultra light wind conditions, I've had quite a few struggles today with pointing and returning to the point where I left off. This is where my formula used to excell. I wonder if a better fin will help me with this. I was too lazy to go and use my R19/70 fin of my formula on the US. I should have.

So, the big question:
What would be the best fin for these conditions ? Anyone with experience ?

mortadelo
31st October 2011, 02:03 AM
DEB R16 64 cm works find for me with Evo 2 10,7. I haven’t tried it with the 12 yet.

BelSkorpio
31st October 2011, 06:57 PM
Yes, that sounds like a good fin.
Have you tried it with your Evo2/10,7 in very light wind conditions ? (average < 12 knots)

Yesterday I managed to spin out a few times the R13/58 fin when pointing very sharp with a lot of pressure on the fin.

Zitoune
24th December 2011, 09:48 PM
Hello,

Could you please send me some pictures of your hypersonic and your S type 9,5

I have got a Warp F9 9,8...Do you think the S type 9,5 will be powerfull to get planning earlier?

Thank you for your answer.

BelSkorpio
3rd June 2012, 08:45 AM
Yesterday evening, we had again perfect Ultrasonic conditions: 8 (average) - 14 (peak) knots. Typical evening breeze.
I used my 10.9 sail.
Early this year, I bought an older Deboichet R12 / 64 fin which I used now for the first time.

I can recommend the fin to everyone who likes to sail the US147 in very light conditions.
It is a very soft fin with lots of lift in light wind. Free of spin-out and it points very high. Much better than the standard R13/58 fin.

Pelegrin
3rd June 2012, 08:21 PM
I can see that sails are getting bigger when using boards lika Ultrasonic. JP was a little bit earlier with JP SLW and I bought it some years ago. I do not want to big Formula sails and I have put my limit just above 9. With TR 4, 9.2 and Gaastra Vapor 7.6 I can manage most winds the board are made for and I don not need a bigger sail. Increasing winds and to big sails are not fun! You are planning anyway in 5 m/s with 9.2 so why get a big Formula-sail when not sailing a Formulaboard?

BelSkorpio
4th June 2012, 10:26 AM
Hi Pelegrin,

With my 87 kg, I probably plane even with my 8.8 in 5 m/s = +/- 10 knots. For sure in a downwind slalom course.

The thing is that I also want to plane upwind in 8 knots average. That also means regular lulls of 6 knots or less.
Therefore, I prefer a 10.9 sail. It's no fun to be off and on the plane, nor to have problems to return to the starting point.
On the other side, I don't like too much freeride sails that quickly overpower me when the wind picks up. I had before a 9.5 freeride/freerace sail which horrified me in stronger winds. I'm far more comfortable with my 10.9 Formula sail than with my former 9.5 sail, despite of the heavier weight.

I guess, it's all about the range and personal preferences.

Pelegrin
4th June 2012, 05:38 PM
BelSkorpio - You did well explaining!!! I did not count with bodyweight and the differense between freeride and Formulasiails.

Anyway I think the mix that US and SLW stands for is fantastic - so lot of fun planning in lightwinds! I was out today in 7-8 m/s with 9.2 and felt I was flying(!).

MOP
7th June 2012, 07:27 PM
Do you think that US gives much better planing than 82-85 cm slalomboard in 5-8 m/s when biggest sail is overdrive 9.5?

What do you think of gybing performance of the US compared to slalom 82-85 cm?

BelSkorpio
10th June 2012, 10:23 AM
Good question. I don't know. I've never sailed an e.g. IS127/137. So I can't compare.

Perhaps Remi or Jean-Marc can answer this one.

My guess is that on reaching courses and typical PWA downwind slalom courses, there will be not much in it. Probably the US needs less pumping. On the other hand, in slightly upwind courses it could be a different story.

If I compare the US and Formula in upwind conditions, I find there is still quite a difference. Formula rules without any doubt.

Pelegrin
10th June 2012, 06:29 PM
Today I was out with 8.0-sail on both JP SLW and Isonic 127 Carbon. The wind made planning with 8.0 but not 7.0. SLW was planing earlier than 127 and planning-speed was about the same.

Stargazer
19th January 2013, 06:43 PM
Dear MOP, yes I do have the same question too .. more even since my weight is 72-75 kg [ no clothes] with a wetsuit ..we are a lot heavier of course not to mention boom/mast/sail.
Is a ULTRASonic no overkill for me .. r would it just work .. is an ultrasonic not only for heavier riders .. do you need as many liters for 75 kg surfer to plane as quick as possible or is the width that makes the biggest difference?
WOuld an IS 127 not better for me. I currently sail a FAnatic ray 145 ltd [2011] with a 9m Maui Sails Titan and it gets big quickly. I just want to plane earlier and have more control in the gusts.
I know formula is the king .. but I wanna have lot's of fun to and a board that serves me well for years to come.

Chris Dimond Aus06
20th January 2013, 10:40 PM
I've been enjoying my new 2013 iS127 and Severne R4 9.2m with a 49 Select. I'm 95kg, and can get planing on this in 9 - 10 knots. With max downhaul, I can still be out there in 15-18 knots+.

13-15 is sweet...

The early planing of this combination for my weight is sensational, and I'm still using it with a 'dodgy' fin. I've got a 50cm carbon Volt on the way for light wind, and also a 46 carbon volt to use with this board and my 7.8 R2 in 15-20.

Stargazer
25th January 2013, 11:51 AM
HEllo Chris,

Sorry for the late reply it has been quite hectic the last couple of days.
Thanks for the info .. the IS 127 surely looks interesting .. it's hard to believe u start planning in 9-10 knots
I'm still in between a really early planner as the US and the IS 127 ... my 7.6 Vapor next to the Maui TItan 9.0 would fit nicely on the IS as well I guess.
I do however think I'm going to have a big overlap between my Futura 111 and the IS127. The US however is particulary well suited for the light wind conditions and as soon as the wind picks up to 4 BF I'll be hopping on the futura.
But planning at 9-10 knots and I weigh 75 kg .. thanks you made the decision just harder :-)
Anyway u turn it .. bothe whether it's going to be the IS or the US they r going to plane faster than the Ray 145 [ although this one planes pretty fast as well]
Is the IS 127 hard to sail and do you really have to actively pump it to get planning ?

Remi
26th January 2013, 09:56 PM
Hi Mark H

Did need something particay to read your video?

Hi all

The 2013 UltraSonic 147 was develop with sails from 7.8 to 12m and think that every weight rider category can have big fun on it.

Have fun

All the best

mark h
28th January 2013, 12:05 PM
Hi Remi,

Mmmmm, not sure why the video is not working. It was made by a guy SB forum guy from La Rochelle, his user was
"Naturel" :)