PDA

View Full Version : Low End - iSonic 101 and 111 - Q for Ian Fox

Sempai
14th March 2007, 05:27 PM
Hi!

I would like to ask Ian Fox the difference in low end planning between iSonic 101 and 111.

I weigh 74 kg, and will be using Maui sails TR-3 7.6.

Is there much difference in these boards regarding low end planning?

Thank you!

Regards,
Mitja

Ian Fox
15th March 2007, 06:50 AM
Hi Sempai,

It's always difficult to define low end planing thresholds accurately, as there are many important variables involved. One of the critical variables is the rider style/technique/energy/determination to get any board going in a given set of conditions.

It's the difference between an "active" rider style (good pumping/planing skills) and a more "static" rider style (stand there and let rig/board/fin pull you onto the plane).

Both styles are very valid - and very common.

In summary, a rider with strong active style will reduce the low end planing gap between the 101 and 111, whilst a rider enjoying the relaxed (non active) style of ride will find a larger gap between the 101 and 111 (especially around 7.5m conditions)
A rider with really good active style could likely narrow the gap between the 101 down to 1-2kts (in the critical 7.5m planing threshold range); the rider adopting a fully "relaxed" style to early planing may find a 2-3 kt difference at that wind range.

(again, there are many outside variables - like water state flat vs choppy, and "quality" of wind in this range that have real influence on any hard numbers)

With a rider wight of 74kg, and moderate skill/energy, you should plane up pretty early on the iS101/7.6mTR3 - and the question deciding between the 101 and 111 could also be influenced by top end control/range.

Cheers ~ Ian

Sempai
15th March 2007, 04:22 PM
Thank you Ian!

According to your info i101 will be just the right choice!

Regards,
Sempai!