PDA

View Full Version : Dahab

BelSkorpio
31st January 2012, 09:20 PM
I've planned together with some friends a WS week in Dahab, Egypt.
It will be the first week of March.
Not the best month I heard, but I really need to get out of this freezing cold country.
It drives me nuts.

Somebody with experience ?
Any comments are welcome.

We will be staying at "Le Meridien",

RAW
3rd February 2012, 05:48 AM
Hey Bel,
Let me know what it is like. Am taking the family there in April/May.
Cheers

BelSkorpio
3rd February 2012, 07:03 PM
Hi RAW,

I certainly will.

SeanAUS120
3rd February 2012, 11:24 PM
Was there in March last year for 2 weeks... sailed everyday on 7.0m powered up... winds 15-25 knots. Perfect time I believe...

BelSkorpio
4th February 2012, 09:25 AM
Hey Sean, great to hear this.

Did you rent the equipment or did you bring your own ?

SeanAUS120
5th February 2012, 07:04 AM
I brought my own gear... as the hire gear places are a bit more setup for freestyle/freeride gear than nice slalom boards etc. But unless you rent a car (which isn't that easy in Egypt), which we did, you end up stashing your gear at the hire centre and paying to do that... so you may as well just rent.

The nice thing about having your own car and bringing your own gear is that you can explore a few more cool spots to sail, than just at the bay where the hire centres are.

Although, you could also end up doing this - http : // aus120.aus120.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/themes/blog/egypt-02.jpg

BelSkorpio
5th February 2012, 08:51 AM
Hehe and with those temperatures over there ...
I'll most probably rent some stuff at the Mistral Club. No starboard :(

Unregistered
6th February 2012, 05:33 AM
Just a word of caution; be very careful when the tide is low. I broke a fin when it hit the corals when I was blasting in full speed. Insurance does not cover the fin (at the Harry Nass Center). Had a few bad cuts on my toes too; wear booties!

Other than the corals, Dahab is probably one of the best places for windsurfing holidays :-)

BelSkorpio
6th February 2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the info.
I always take my booties since I once cut my foot seriously at a sharp stone on what supposed to be the perfect sandy beaches of Fuerteventura.

I suppose that you are talking about what they call the "lagoon" over there.

SeanAUS120
7th February 2012, 04:04 AM
Yes, talking about the 'lagoon'.

Funny you mention cutting your foot at Fuerte... I did the same last year at the PWA event. It's volcanic rock over there and ultra sharp... usually some sharp ones buried in the sand... don't go near the island without crocs on my feet anymore :-/

BelSkorpio
7th February 2012, 05:41 PM
Hey Sean,

Are the air/water temperatures warm enough in March for just wearing lycra ?
Or will I still need a neoprene shorty ?

mario.milhazes
8th February 2012, 04:49 PM
Hi Belskorpio

I was there in March 2010 and had a hell of a time!!!!
Great place to windsurf!!! I rented equipmente at a Harry center (JP/NP) sailed 7 days from 5.0 to 8.0....super flat water!! Take a shortie wetsuit, your harness and some gloves because you will get blisters.

Loved the place, the people and the food!!! Everythig is so cheap!! So out for dinner in Masbat but remember that you have negociate everything out....dont pay the first price they tell you :):)

I stayed in a nice House just behind the hotels line (http://www.dahabholidays.com/) it is owned by a Brit couple, very friendly!!!

Hope to come back soon!!!

If you need more info just ask me.

BelSkorpio
8th February 2012, 05:34 PM
Hey, thanks Mario.

Now you talk about the food.
I've been yesterday to the doctor to ask for pills against bacterial infections as a preventive measure.
Is Egypt still notorious about this ?

windsurftr
16th February 2012, 08:32 AM
nice and warm place :)

SeanAUS120
16th February 2012, 10:38 AM
Food is pretty sketchy ... I just cooked myself every meal because I didn't want to get sick. I'm sure there are plenty of things you can find that won't kill you, but the main thing to look out for is that the water is not so safe to drink out of the tap, so anything that they WASH in water before it's cooked might make you sick... ie, vegetables/fruit etc ...

It won't kill you; just might make your stomach a little sick for a few days ... that being said, most of the British girls I met there who'd been staying there and diving for a few months were drinking the water straight from the tap; they say your body adapts... haha :-/

RAW
16th February 2012, 01:34 PM
Hi Bel,

HEAD Sauns advice!!!

I lived and worked in India for 2 years and travel internatioally on a weekly basis for work. Your body won't get used to the new conditions during such a short trip so always be cautious. Drink UNOPENED bottled water. NO ice in your drinks and go to the busy/ popular restaurants as you will give your stomach a better chance of survival. Would suggest you take some Imodium tablets just in case your stomach is a little delicate.

Hope I am not talking out of turn but want you to enjoy your trip as much as possible.

BelSkorpio
16th February 2012, 09:20 PM
Yep, well I've heard that the Imodium that we know is useless in Egypt. You need something stronger over there.
Let's be careful and only eat cooked food and drink hot tea. :)
It seems that yogurt also helps a lot.
Can't wait to get there. LOL

RAW
16th February 2012, 09:37 PM
Sorry SeanAUS120 for the name change in previous

mario.milhazes
16th February 2012, 10:49 PM
Hi BelSkorpio

Me and my friends went out every nigth for dinner in Masbat and never had a problem. We tried a lot of stuff and i have to stay that first day we were afraid but nothing happend, so i kept on eating out every single nigth.

We met some people that were staying at the hotels and resorts had problems with food intoxications......i suppose itīs because it is cooked and stored in huge quantities.

In the restaurantes in Masbat they made the food on the hour...

Just drink bottled water and dont eat salads and natural stuff that is washed with water. Eat everything well cooked and you wont have a problem.

I have a long term stomach problem, Gastritis, and i am very sketchy to food but had no problem in Dahab.

You and your friends will have a great time!!!! Believe me!!!

Unregistered
18th February 2012, 10:23 PM
A lot of people worry about falling sick while in another country. It's normal.

Although you got to take precautions, what you need to do is also to train your body to take a bit of "dirty" food. People who lives in very clean environment tends to have weak stomach and this becomes a problem when traveling to other countries. I can understand that sportsmen like AUS120 not taking any chance and decided to prepare his own meals after all he was there for training.

I always asked for ice in my drinks while I was in Dahab. My kids ate the ice too and they were ok. (By the way, ice is a precious item in that hot country, you may not get it sometimes).

Egypt's population is growing so how unclean can their food be?
Just look at what Bear Grylls ate for survival! Yes, I believe our human body is quite adaptable and quite capable of self-healing, sometimes (:

Unregistered
19th February 2012, 11:51 AM
Hey, thanks Mario.

Now you talk about the food.
I've been yesterday to the doctor to ask for pills against bacterial infections as a preventive measure.
Is Egypt still notorious about this ?

Every year from 18-24feb Dahab Slalom Week .I've been 7 times there with my family no problem with food in hotel restorans at all.Perfekt wind 20-45 knot ,good organisation,50-70partisipans.

BelSkorpio
19th February 2012, 06:16 PM
OK, thanks. Nice to hear this.
Especially abouth the 20-45 knots. That sounds real good. :)

To change the food subject, how about the water conditions ?
They talk about wavy conditions at the Napolean reef, anyone with experience ?
Just how big are the waves over there ?

BelSkorpio
12th March 2012, 12:58 PM
Just back from Dahab.

We were lucky to have every day lots of wind.
Sailed everything between 5.0 - 8.8 sails and boards between 85L - 135L.
My friends who are lighter also used 4.2 sails and 73L boards.

Had no problems with the food, but I was very careful and the hotel hygiene looked amazing.

It's true about the corals, you need to pay attention.

Temperatures were from 22 - 30 degrees celcius.
I wore a 4/3 wetsuit short arms, long legs which got a bit warm at 30 degrees.

Behind the Napoleon reef, there's a very nice swell of a couple of meters. Nice mountains to ride on. A lot of fun and not too dangerous.

The speed strip "speedy" is a little bit too short to obtain personal speed records. But it has beautiful turquoise water.

The hotel "Le Meridien" seems to be the best hotel to stay.
It offers the best windsurf location to launch with very small boards.
In 3 racks I managed to go upwind to Napoleon reef.

RAW
13th March 2012, 02:59 AM
Hey Bel,
Glad you had a great time. Will be there in 1 month. Do you think a shorty is needed or would you not worry about a wetsuit at all.
Cheers

SeanAUS120
13th March 2012, 04:11 AM
You had a 4/3mm wetsuit on in 30 degrees?!

I think I sailed the entire time in boardshorts on my trip in march. Was too hot to even wear a t-shirt around most of the time, from memory... Glad you had a good trip though! I'm planning my next Dahab mission as we speak....

BelSkorpio
13th March 2012, 12:08 PM
Hi RAW,

A 3/2 mm shorty will be more than sufficient.
I wore my 4/3mm wetsuit because in the beginning of the week it was only 22 degrees and I also wore it because of the long legs for protection against the corals, although I never stepped into any corals ...

No wetsuit could be a bit cold when the wind gets strong, but perhaps within 1 month the temperatures will rise over 35 degrees ? I don't know.

RAW
13th March 2012, 04:49 PM
Thanks Bel