PDA

View Full Version : next size up from severne blade 5.3

aunty jack
4th April 2012, 01:20 PM
Hi I've got 2011 blades in 4.2 4.7 5.3 and want to get a bigger sail for the lighter days 14 to 18knts to use with an 90 litre wave board in onshore conditions. I'm 84kg
I recently tried a friends 2012 5.7m blade and going from my 5.3 to the 5.7 didn't seem to feel like much of a jump in size. I'm not sure what to get I was thinking of a 5.9 S1 or 6.0 Gator The jump from 5.3 to a 6.2 blade seems to big.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Ian Fox
5th April 2012, 11:19 PM
Same quiver I've been on for the past few seasons, with various add on options in 6m range…Blade/MoJo/Gator…

With a Blade 5.3, is a Blade 5.7 a logical next size up? No. (at least, not in many cases..)
Do I have some of the best sessions on Blade 5.7? Yes.
Would I like to be without a 5.7 even though I don’t need it ? No.
Is a Blade 5.7 on 86-90 Lt board one of my most rangy, versatile combos ? Yes.

Although the Blade 5.7 would end up delivering you some great sessions, from a $/quiver/range perspective Blade 5.3 + Gator 6.0 will likely be the winner, especially if your “6.0” riding is more freewave/freemove and less pure wave riding..

As you've enjoyed, Blades are very rangy as wavesails go, which is both an attribute but also a dilemma when it comes to picking sizes (both at purchase, and standing on the beach !) You can (should !!) make practical use of this versatility. Especially on a slightly floaty (more sail size tolerant tolerant) board like a 90Lt, 5.3 does really well extending down the low/er wind range - which reduces the absolute need to move to 5.7 earlier as the wind lightens.. Given the range of the Blades, taking a big/ger jump than 0.5m in that lighter sort of conditions (5.3-6.0m) is valid and practical (compared to same gap in say 4.2-4.7 conditions etc) BUT (and it’s a good one !!) if you’re often (might be THE key issue) in “5.7” conditions, the Blade 5.7 (esp coupled with a good 90Lt) is a rather magic/fun/satisfying combo, without going the full hog to the even larger 6.2. Or without sneaking by on the 5.3, which is often doable too! …

So, playing out the options ....

>> Blade 5.3+Blade 5.7 : Dream combo for a quiver with no practical restrictions. Consistent feel with smaller Blades and some great 5.7 sessions possible in “marginal 5.3 conditions”. Doesn’t extent quiver range as far down wind range as possible. Confusion at beach on “is it 5.3 or 5.7?”days (very real !!)

>> Blade 5.3+Gator 6.0 : Best combo of range without getting too big on the 6x size; Gator handling/feel softer than Blade, but this usually matters LEAST at the light/er wind end of the quiver and wind range (crossover to more freemove/freeride style riding). Less brain time required selecting rig at beach!

>> Blade 5.3 + 6.2; Doable, maybe better than you think(esp if you don’t mind a bit of power), will retain consistent “Blade” feel/handling thru quiver. May be a bit bigger than you dream about for super responsive handling/riding (when c/w 5.3 …and that elusive 5.7 !!) Less brain time required selecting rig at beach!

>> Blade 5.3 + S-1 5.9; Unless you’re looking for the super light response (freestyle/wave) advantage of the S-1 in lighter winds( a potential S-1 big +) , you will find the S-1 5.9 won’t give a significant amount more power than you experienced with Blade 5.7. S-1 sweetspot kicks in a bit more powered up (per size) than Blade.

Cheers ~ Ian

PS : I guess you waited around long enough to get in on the Forum, you deserved a good detailed reply !

aunty jack
6th April 2012, 12:39 PM
WOW! Excellent reply, definatly worth the wait thanks for taking the time and effort Ian.
I seriously thought about the 5.7 it works for my friend who let me try his but he is only 70kg for me it just wasn't quite enough.
Yeah I know of the great wind range I can get from Blades maybe I could get away with a 6.2 blade, I'm most tempted by this option to keep the same feel, less brain power(anxiety and time wasting of what sail to rig)and I'm after more wave sailing than freeride.
I imagine the Gator's will have similar bottom end to the Blades.

aunty jack
28th December 2012, 01:26 PM
Some feedback
I bought 2013 blades in 4.7 5.3 6.2
The wind range on the 6.2 is fantastic The times it was a handful I changed down to my 5.3 and was even still overpowered on the 5.3 I would say that when comfortably powered up on a 5.0 blade I would be overpowered on the 6.2 The 6.2 doesn't really feel that big to use, the boom length feels fine in the waves.
Yes less brain power. Other guys chugging on 5.3 5.5 5.7's then me go the 6.2 others whizzing around on 5.0 5.3 then me go the 5.3
6.2 definitely increased my Fun and TOW

BelSkorpio
29th December 2012, 08:18 AM
Yes, I've got a similar range in my wave/freeride sails.

4.0 - 4.7 - 5.5 - 6.4

More than enough. Sometimes already difficult enough to pick the right one. :)
The 6.4 is not often used, because then I prefer to be on slalom equipment.