PDA

View Full Version : Windsurfing is out of the olimpic games

Gyurmo
7th May 2012, 10:36 AM
Hi,

The ISAF made the decision in Italy on the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio no windsurfing competition. Both women and man category will change to Kiteboard. The result of the voting was very close 19:17.

Few months ago I read the Kite presentation for the Rio Games. What I felt the weakest point of the Kite is the minimum wind, where Kite have similar problems like Formula Windsurfing few years ago and Formula was out of the competition with this handycap. (By the way with Formula you can go back to the beach when the wind drops to 2-4 knots, with kite you have to swim or need a boat - so not really safety on national competition.)

I have lots of other question marks like the missing international organization, number of nations who will participate, number of competitors overall, how to fits kite competitions into the Euro Olympic tour, where the beaches and the wind conditions not really kite friendly etc...

The Windsurfing Olympic class never was the trend setter of the windsurfing sport, but made wider the interest for sure. In some countries the state support only Olympic classes, so that was an opportunity to get money to finance the youth windsurfing too.

I don’t know what the reason of this decision was "behind the curtain", but I hope the Olympic Windsurfing's history was not this 8 games only...

This train is gone! But... I hope the windsurfing sport (industry, organizations, windsurfers etc) will be able to work out TOGETHER how to go back to 2020! We have four years to build up an unbeatable proposal based on a long term strategy. In my view to have windsurfing on the Olympic Games is not about the industry, about windsurf awareness or about few hundred competitors MAINLY. But first of all the opportunity to bring teenagers into this sport in lots of countries. Poland, France, Germany, Israel, England, China, Italy etc. have already good organization for that with “pre-olympic classes” and this kids never will try windsurf on any other way.

Beside all of this disappointed thinks I wish good luck and the best for the kiters for the next four years!

Gyurmo

Gyurmo
7th May 2012, 01:03 PM
hi,

if you interested the kite offer for rio 2016:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/35252522/Int-l-Kiteboarding-Assoc-2016-Rio-Olympic-Campaign

and some ex-windsurfers and "big guns" who supported the kite campaign:
http://www.internationalkiteboarding.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4214&Itemid=267

gyurmo

Remi
8th May 2012, 02:16 AM
Hi All,

This what we will have in the Olympic, what a disaster :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qUTAjW5CQjY

All the best

Jonny
8th May 2012, 06:59 AM
Congratulation to Kiting . It had successfully killed windsurfing ( and some windsurfers as well ) .
Salute to all RSX racers .

BelSkorpio
8th May 2012, 10:35 AM
Amazing. I have nothing against kiters but this is ridiculous.

While, on the other hand, I always loved to see the race start of a huge windsurf fleet. It had something magical, all those sails grouped closely together.

real deal
14th May 2012, 07:22 PM
Rory gebi and mr neilpryde raped olympic windsurfing with rsx truck stuff everybody knows it is a horrible design i can easily beat any number one in the world with mistral one design they couldnt evoluate olympic class to formula class they can put 520 mast into their very suitable place İ feel realy sorry for athletes they are really the best in the world

davide
15th May 2012, 04:59 PM
One initiative to protest the rather close-minded exclusion of windsurfing from the Olympics games. Just klick the link and sign up: http://www.change.org/petitions/isaf...ic-discipline#

There might be other initiatives in the making. According to the web-site: "a 2 third majority at the ISAF annual meeting in november can overrule this decision - keep signing and get our opinion heard."

mcross19
15th May 2012, 08:44 PM
To be honest my view is that I'm not really bothered whether it's in or out. How will it actually affect our sport? Are the manufacturers going to stop making nice kit? No! Will us regular Joe's keep on doing it?Yes! Will development grind to a halt? No!

Has anybody actually seen an exciting olympic class race? They all seem to be done at venue with minimum wind, if it was a supercross event with planning conditions it would be much more exciting to watch!

Sorry just my take on it!

mark h
15th May 2012, 11:32 PM
To follow that on, same thoughts here. I know a lot us are dying to say it too but afraid to offend anyone. Whilst I feel for the likes of Nick Dempsey (top guy) and co who have dedicated their lives to this.

RSX is not really a proper representitive of are wonderful sport. Watching RSX in 5 knot winds is not to exciting to watch or do. We have had super light weight boards that plan in 7k winds, and they choose a 16kg monster??? Kites will also struggle in 3-4 knots, how many safety boats will be needed to rescue kiters drifting, they need 6-7 knots to fly kites, same as formula.

Watching BvD battling with BD in Sylt is exciting, so is Taty or Sarah pulling the last trick, watching AA crack 49k on a canal is exciting or watching Jason on a death wish at Jaws is exciting. Sorry but for me RSX isn't exciting.

I know some will hate me saying all of this, but its a big wide world out there and we all have are own take on these things.

Maximus
16th May 2012, 08:53 PM
Perhaps missing out this time is exactly the shot in arm the sport needs. Who wants to watch a bunch of midgets pumping a RSX around? Slalom would be the way to go, it has action and a result everyone can understand.

mcross19
16th May 2012, 08:56 PM
I thought this was Nick's last games anyway??

mark h
16th May 2012, 09:54 PM
Ah, that's true Alan, now I wont feel so bad if I see him:)

Unregistered
17th May 2012, 04:38 AM
Sad that windsurfing will be out BUT glad that RSX will be out !

Will Starboard be able to design a new board for future re-entry into the Olympics? A board and rig which can be exciting and fun to ride at a more affordable price? And does not weigh a tonne?

mcross19
17th May 2012, 03:31 PM
They already have one..........Formula!

BelSkorpio
17th May 2012, 03:54 PM
Yes, I never understood why they did not accept it for the Olympics 2012.
After all, it already starts from 6 knots.

I've seen a few official Formula races and I always found them VERY spectacular.

mark h
17th May 2012, 11:49 PM
Ah, that's true Alan, now I wont feel so bad if I see him:)

Martin, I don't why I called you Alan?? I must stop drinking meths :))

Philip
18th May 2012, 12:25 AM
I think the equipment exists in large slalom boards for light winds and small boards for stronger conditions. It is what most WS use (even if in detuned free ride format). It is light and simple to use with a graduated skill level as the boards become more 'dedicated'. It is a myth that slalom boards need insane winds to shine. Somehow the Olympic requirement got locked into traditional regatta style equipment. My recollection is that long boards went into decline when some racers in open classes started to use slalom boards to really good effect. May be the Olympic thing also became distorted by an artificial division between the amateurs on long boards and professionals racing formula or slalom. Perhaps each suits a different weight class, but using slalom you take the conditions on the day versus the weight you carry. Olympic gear tries too hard to equalise and force fit people of different physical builds onto one kind of kit. WS by it's the nature is highly probabilistic which is the essence of the excitement that comes with surf carnivals and other sports that are at the mercy of prevailing conditions.

mcross19
18th May 2012, 02:57 PM
Mark I wondered why too, was guessing it was something stronger than tea! Just don't drink it out of a brown paper bag, that is when you really have a problem! haha

Phillip, I agree the IOC are stuck in a time warp, they could have at least used Phantom Race boards!

Some radical thinking needed by the top bods to bring our sport back to the limelight and look exciting to all.

Gyurmo
31st May 2012, 08:34 AM
hi,

lots of people thinking usa is general against windsurfing in the question of the olimpic games future, since they voted on kite to rio. here you can find one of the legendary american windsurfer Nevin Sayre's artical about this subject.

http://www.windsport.com/news_article?news_id=1409

the comments are interesting too.

the usa situation is very special, since the most succesful usa olimpic competitor Mike Gebhardt (silver and bronz medalist) campaign for kite for years.

gyurmo

Jonny
31st May 2012, 01:30 PM
Let's pull out from ISAF all together and set up a separate discipline in Olympics .
It will incoporate RSX , Slalom and freestyle !
It will reborn windsurfing .

RAW
1st June 2012, 09:25 AM
Gyurmo,
What does Star-board and it's current Dream Team which includes many former and current world champions think the way ahead for windsurfing should be?
Race-board, Formula, Slalom??? Something else???
Windsurfing can give the Oympics 49er performance and spectacle with the technicality of the Fin or Star class, both technical boats to sail but in my opinion, not exciting to watch.
Does it matter that windsurfing at the Olympics uses cutting edge equipment? Doesn't that just increase the spectacle as equipment/performance advances whilst needing increasing technical ability to sail to these levels.
I would be interested to hear from the best about the best way forward.
Tks

Gyurmo
1st June 2012, 10:41 PM
hi raw,

for Starboard the olimpic area was always a priority since become enough strong. in 2000 lots of us trust in olimpic class change to 2004. we believed formula windsurfing is ready to replace the mistral one design. it did not happened.

in 2004 eleven equipment applied to be olimpic class for 2008. starboard had an aspirant equipment.

i was there at lake garda when the aspirant of neilpryde, the rs:x first time touched the water. peter bijl is not a small guy, but he flied with the gear like a 66 kg guy on mistral one design… this gear was surprise good. very early planning, even in light wind upwind was acceptable. few days later in england this board win the selection. i did not try all the boards but i think the selection had a fair result when rs:x was chosen for olimpic class. but that rs:x board and the production real rs:x olimpic board IS DIFFERENT! how let do this isaf – I don’t know…

svein was eleventh on the first windsurfing olimpic games in los angeles '84. so i think for starboard the olimpic games will be always interesting - for subjective reasons too :D.

to rio 2016 isaf did not give chance to anyone to challenge the rs:x only for kiters. i think in 2016 starboard (will be) ready to introduce a totally different concept for olimpic class for 2020 olimpic.

first we have to see what’s happen in november. will stay kite the olimpic class in rio 2016 or isaf bring back the rs:x? very small chance, but i hope isaf will fix this huge mistake and second one will happen...

gyurmo

RAW
2nd June 2012, 03:52 AM
Tks for your reply Gyurmo,
I think we all hope this ridiculous decision is overturned.
I really hope you guys at Star-board can either take Formula to new heights for even more spectacular racing or can design outside the current square and design something amazing ( lets face it that is what Star-board and Svein are most famous for).
A lot of youngsters are relying on you to keep their Olympic dreams alive.

Jean-Marc
4th June 2012, 06:39 AM
Time for action now before ISAF next August 1st deadline :

1) Sign the petition to keep windsurfing in the olympics;

http://www.change.org/petitions/isaf-keep-windsurfing-as-olympic-discipline

2) Support windsurfing for the Rio 2016 Olympics : get your sticker printed and pass around the world !

http://www.redsurfbus.com/2012/05/vote-for-windsurfing.html

Cheers !

JM

Jean-Marc
4th June 2012, 03:26 PM
Here is the link to the report that "unregistered" was kindly talking about on another thread:

http://www.sailweb.co.uk/download/KiteboardingTechnicalReport.pdf

ISAF Kiteboarding Format Trials Santander, Spain, March 21-25
Technical Report

Page 5 of 33:

"Performance:

Equipment can be launched in app. 3-4 knots of wind, depending on current, wind variety and surf.

Kiteboards can sail and be immediately on the plan from 4-5 knots.

GPS analysis showed the following speeds and angles in 6-9 knots:

Speed on the Beat: 15 knots or 8 1⁄2 minutes /nm
Speed on the Run: 23 knots or 4 minutes /nm
Speed on the Reach: 26 knots or 3 1⁄4 minutes /nm"

On the GPS recording shown as "proof", there is only 1 event with a Vmax peaking at 26 knots and maybe another one at Vmax 24 knots over a period of 2 hrs. Was the wind gusting at more than 9 knots during those 2 Vmax peaks? Where was the wind being measured : on the beach, on the course or at a nearby airport weather station ?

The "proofs" shown in the report are highly questionable to me simply because some of my kitesurf friends are unable to reproduce some of the miraculous claims made in this report on our home lake.

1) "Kiteboards can sail and be immediately on the plan from 4-5 knots". Yes, that is correct but only in true 5 knots winds with a Speed 3 Flysurf 21 m2 kite and a XXL Flydoor board (170cm x 50 cm) or a tube 22 m2 kite and a custom Kite Race board equipped with 2x 40 cm long race fins forward and 2x 36 cm long race fins on the back. Below 5 knots, it's swimming time and rescue boat help on our lake.
With a standard equipment (a basic twintip board), the wind limit is more like ±7 knots with an 18 m2 kite or ±10 knots with a 12-14 m2 kite. On par with a standard Formula Windsurfing equipment.

2) None of our group of 20+ kiters can reach a board speed that is equal to 3-4x that of the wind speed in winds below 9 knots. Only specifically designed large cats can do that on our lake, as explained below.

Furthermore, to claim that "The class polars show that kiteboarding is one of the most performant of all sailing classes, including the AC 45 and Extreme 40s" is overly measleading and represents a gross oversimplification of what the reality is on the water.

In 7 knots wind, a Decision 35 cat can reach a sustainable speed that is equal to 3x the wind speed on our home lake. In that same wind speed, the defunct Alinghi 5 mega cat was reaching a sustainable speed of 28-30 knots, i.e., 4x that of the wind speed. Sorry, I just don't buy that silly argument that "kiteboarding is one of the most performant of all sailing classes". Not true.

No wonders why windsurfing is out of the olympic games with such a blown-up-on-steroid report. Go figure...!

Cheers !

JM

Gyurmo
11th June 2012, 08:33 PM
hi,

i think this can help to understand more. the most important part for me the hope... there is a theoretical chance to reopen the voting in november.

rory ramsden, head of rs:x organization:

"2016: The fight back is on

Tuesday, 05 June 2012 08:58

There are probably a lot of questions running
through youyr mind right now. The important
thing is to stay positive and decide to do all you
can to help get windsurfing back into the 2016
Olympic sailing programme.

No doubt most of you have discovered the 'Vote Windsurfing' page on Facebook where news is being published as it happens together with the views of people like Bruce and Barbara Kendall and Nevin Sayre. For us, this is quick and easy to do as we focus on the main task of talking to the decision makers on the ISAF Council and within National Sailing Authorities round the world.

We are working hard in the back ground to build momentum within the general sailing community to redress this decision. Whilst we appreciate that there is a general feeling that kite should be in the Olympic sailing familly, we believe that there is an equally strong belief that windsurfing should be there too.

The question on everyone's mind is how we can fulfill both ambitions without impacting the ambitions of the other existing Olympic classes.

But what can you as a windsurfer do to help?

Here are 4 things that you can do to keep the campaign for Rio 2016 in the forefront of people's minds…

1. Sticker Campaign
This is a simple way to show your support as you go about your daily life. Stickers should be on cars, sails and in places where other sailors hang out when not racing. This is running in several countries already so start one too...

Print ready artwork is here http://bit.ly/JXaLdb

Please make sure that you have the permission of the person concerned before applying a sticker

2. Facebook Campaign
Please change your Facebook profile picture to the one on https://www.facebook.com/votewindsurfing Then every post you make will carry the message.

Here is the URL of the image: http://on.fb.me/L5sUXF

When changing the profile picture, add the petition URL in the comment field http://www.change.org/petitions/isaf-keep-windsurfing-as-olympic-discipline [ ask your friends to sign the petition too]

3. Writing Campaign
The other super useful thing that you can do is write to your MNA and urge them to support windsurfing for 2016
by voting to reopen the discussion in November at the ISAF Conference in Dublin.

4. Make a video
Please make a one minute video using an iPhone or similar saying why you think windsurfing should be in the
Olympics. That would make a powerful statement. The key is to keep it positive. Knocking kite is not what we want to do and will be counter productive.

5. Race the RS:X Youth Europeans and Worlds

There are two RS:X Youth Championships coming up.

The 2012 RS:X Open Youth Europeans in Estonia | June 30th - July 7th, Talinn

We have arranged for 30 hulls to be available for charter - bring your own rigs and foils -

Rates for the hull rent( without fin, with VAT and without insurance)

Bronze: 49 Euros( day)
Silver: 299 Euros( 1 day training and race days)
Gold: 499 Euros( 5 days training max and race days)

Young athletes will also have the opportunity to purchase the board after the event at - 30% of the retail price, in that case the rental cost will also be deducted.

Please register here: http://bit.ly/MwvF8i

Download the Notice of Race: http://bit.ly/MaIHBT

The 2012 RS:X Youth World Championships in Chinese Taipei | October 20th - 27th, Penghu Island

This is a key event for the RS:X class as it will take place just before the ISAF November Conference in Ireland. Even though we realise that European teams will take reduced teams due to distance, it is very important that
you register athletes in both the youth men and youth women's fleets.

Download the Notice of Race: http://bit.ly/Luy9Pk

By doing these 5 things, you will send a powerful message. Please keep what you say and what you post in public forums as positive FOR windsurfing as possible."

Darko_Z
12th June 2012, 01:16 PM
Main demand from Olympic committee was that all sailing competitions should be made attractive for spectators. RS:X windsurfing shown on last Olympics games was far from attractive and exciting. Of course sailing in 3kn wind is not exciting.
Obviously changes were demanded but no changes were made to comply with new demands, so windsurfing is out.

Main argument to stick whit RS:X, was that there is a demand:
One board, one sail, one fin and 3kn wind.
Now kiters were accepted with:
One board, 3 kites, no restriction on fins and 7kn wind.

Formula experience could match this easily for less money than RS:X and kiting. But even with RS:X windsurfing would have chance if RS:X boards would be lighter and cheaper. Sometimes I still use 25 years old Klepper 320, no carbon fibers, weight is 16 kg. Weight of RS:X is 18 kg, many RS:X owners report that after year or two there were cracks on RS:X board so durability is no excuse for weight.

But perhaps there is still hope. Spanish Sailing Federation admits it mistakenly voted for kiting.
Check this link:
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4227798,00.html
Instead of stickers and petitions make sure those delegates really now what they are voting about.

Considering numbers of people windsurfing and kiting, both should be on Olympics.

Unregistered
20th June 2012, 11:19 AM
Probably cos we cant spell !!!

Unregistered
20th June 2012, 05:27 PM
"Considering numbers of people windsurfing and kiting, both should be on Olympics.
11th June 2012 08:33 PM "

That is sheer nonesense.

90% of windsurfers have never raced and never will. Problem has always been the windsurfing in Olympics has virtually no resemblence whatsoever to the sport nearly all of us are involved with.

Racing is an esoteric small aspect of windsurfing.Olypic racing is a small part within that.

The image portrayed in olympic WS is probably detrimental . Its hardly exciting and does not attract anyone into the sport;unless they specifically want to race... WS racing in Olympics has become a sport in itself and promotes itself just for the Olypics.. Look at the farce over the RSX.. Who would ever dream of sailing one if were not for the Olypics !!! Crazy.. Its a circular argument.. IMO its the correct decision..
If we could get wave sailing in or even freestyle ; well that would be a step forward.

Gyurmo
21st June 2012, 07:47 AM
hi unregistered,

much smaller percent of car drivers of the world racing in Formula1 or in Rally, than percentage of windsurfers, who racing. and?

the influence of the top of a sport is always big. if a sail company's competitor win the pwa slalom tour, next year circa 30% can increase his sales volume of race/freerace sails. the freestyle or wave able to bring circa extra 10%.

the olympic windsurfing's value is huge number of people meet with windsurfing, who never meet with it any other way. the hungarian london olympic competitor girl's father is olympic bronz medalist sailor. he pushed her daughter not for sailing, but for windsurfing, because physically much more sporty and cheaper too.

the olympic games makes possible to get money from the states and teach kids for windsurfing. from these kids will be only one per nation on the olympic games, the rest will be hobby windsurfers, pwa riders, or from pwa will be olympic riders. lots of people who move from pwa to olympic (mainly girls), or move from olimpic to pwa like svein rasmussen, stephan van den berg, jimmy diaz, brian talma, anders bringdal, thomas malina, barbara kendal, alassandra sensini, jessica crisp, etc.

i think the olympic windsurfing has his mission in the windsurfing sport, just different from the pwa or hobby windsurfing.

cheers,
gyurmo

nakaniko unreg.
21st June 2012, 08:30 AM
I'm not an expert but all this thing about windsurf out and kite in seems to have something well known in Italy.
We call here MAFIA
That is to say a lot of fake reasons and probably a lot of hidden money.
The racing kitesurfers: I still haven't seen ONE here in Italy on the beaches and lakes where I sail!

Unregistered
21st June 2012, 08:33 AM
"the influence of the top of a sport is always big"

Thats exactly attitude that introduces bad feeling accross sport...

What other discipline would make such an assumption !!!

How on earth can any developments along lines of RSX help any wave sailors/slalom sailors etc...And F1 is totally self supporting financially; through sponsorship; TV rights and the benefits it brings to companies involved.
That as we all know is not the case with racing in WS. Nobody wants to watch it;the developments it brings benefits just those involved and it does not reflect anything to do with rest of sport.

The withdrawal of WS from Olympics is just part of the demise generally assocxiated with racing in WS. It will affect nobody except those racing...Precious few. (read other threads; examine board sales !!!)

Unregistered
22nd June 2012, 12:19 PM
I`ve been windsurfing 30 years.I sail regularly and visit many popular sailing venues throughout Europe.I have not witnessed a race or spoken to anyone that races in the past 20 years.

An unreg poster mentioned that 90% of windsurfers dont race.. Suspect its nearer 99%.. Go down to any local sailing club in UK and there will be dinghies racing every summer sunday.. There will be no windsurfers. They will be at nearest coast if and only if its over F4.The kit they will be on has nothing in common with racing kit (long boards/RSX/Formula) and virtually none of them will have ever have taken part in any sort of organised race..

Why should kit be developed purely for the use of a precious few "racers" essentially paid for by the mass majority of sailors who have no intention of ever racing ??? (Essentially the RSX ; which will simply not sell and has been a complete waste of time now.

Darko_Z
23rd June 2012, 08:05 AM
Most people doing sport don’t compete, at least not in Olympic format. So real nonsense is to say some sport should not be on the Olympic Games just because competition form was adapted. In this case most Olympic sports should not be on Olympics.

Unregistered
23rd June 2012, 04:58 PM
Darko
But loads of people already do athletics/gymnastics etc etc outside Olympics.. Few race and even fewer race Olympic class WS. The ones that do do so purely for Olympics... Folk only bought RSX in an effort to make Olympics !!!

99% of windsurfers could not care less wether its in Olympics or not... Loads of sports get by without Olympic status .Course Racing has nothing to do with windsurfing anymore... (Or perhaps windsurfing has nothing to do with course racing)

Gyurmo
9th August 2012, 07:37 AM
here is some words from Mr. Neil Pryde what is his oppinion about the olympic changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=NbEg8EQ6XCc&NR=1

gyurmo

Jean-Marc
9th August 2012, 01:36 PM
... and the same in french :

http://www.ouest-france.fr/sport/dma_une_-JO-2012-Neil-Pryde-choque-par-la-disparition-de-la-planche_44096-2102634-fils_filDMA.Htm

Cheers & keep fingers crossed !

JM

jmunkki
9th August 2012, 09:36 PM
The only Finnish medal so far has been the silver medal from women's RS-X, so this has brought windsurfing into the spotlight of the Finnish media & public. A Finn voted against RS-X in Rio, but there is now quite a lot of pressure to change that vote in November.

Jean-Marc
9th August 2012, 10:16 PM
Great news Juri ! Glad your country won a medal in windsurfing !!!

It is such an irony and shame to note than Spain and Finland voted against RS-X in Rio whereas a top athlete woman of each of these very same countries won a medal (Gold and Silver, respectively) at the London 2012 games...

Let's hope these 2 top athletes are going to lobby hard to convince their countrymen official ISAF members to seriously reconsider their vote in November !

Cheers !

JM

Gyurmo
21st August 2012, 07:57 AM
by the way would be useful to check how its possible in the 21st century mast breakages influence the olympic results. the italian and hungarian guy broke his mast in a normal usage :mad:. which other nations had material problems? any other info?

gyurmo

Jean-Marc
21st August 2012, 07:56 PM
... and the french RS-X racer Julien dammaged his fin (failed structural cracks).

JM

Gyurmo
30th August 2012, 02:21 PM
beside the hungarian and italian guys the ukrainian was the third one who broke his mast during the olympic races.

julien from france was special unlucky, because as far as i know a french guy from neilpryde select the equipements for the olympic games.

jean-marc be positive :)! julien's story show neilpryde did not play any unfair game about who get better or worst gear...

gyurmo

Unregistered
4th September 2012, 07:37 PM
Hi fellow windsurfers,

I love windsurfing and I have done it for over 10 years. I love sailing more than anything else.
But there is something that has always bug me for years. I've seen windsurfing in the olimpics and when is light wind, it is exremely boring to watch. Not to mention that the gear is boring, plain and out of touch. I do not understand why the RS-X flee looks like that. There is nothing more appealing that watching freestyle, wave riding or slalom races. Full of colors.... and very fun to watch. Why not the same to the olimpic class???
I think Kite has done nothing but being Kitsurfing. The fault of windsurfing being out of the olimpics is windsurfing. Me personally I showed the windsurfing Rs-X on TV to my non-windsurfer friends and they thought this was extremely boring and thought I did the same. I felt sorry for myself and for the competitors. Not to mention this is a very demanding sport and the competitors should deserve credit.
Oh, and I amost forget: I also dislike the Kona race. OMG!!!
Time changes, gear changes, athlete changes, everything changes.... F1 races look totally different than 15 years ago....

I do not blame them.

Is time for windsurfing to learn from their mistakes and make a renovation. Let the new kid bring new and fresh ideas and hopefully the old man get something out from it....

I love windsurfing for life!!!!

Remi
5th September 2012, 06:15 AM
Hi,

The best will be a football stadium with a big wave swimming pool inside for intense slalom battle, Freestyle and wave contest.
Tv coverage will be amaising and sponsor will be very happy!!
The actual sailing discipline in JO are a joke on tv, we be better to say horrible for windsurf in general, need to make the BIG change!!!

All the best

Ken
5th September 2012, 06:12 PM
Let's face it, sailing as an Olympic sport is boring (spectators), no matter which class. I think this is the primary reason kite boarding got chosen, it may offer more spectator appeal, and maybe draw in more TV coverage.

The other issue at the Olympics is that half the sports have little spectator appeal and only exist for the "sport", which is the real reason there are the Olympics. It's sad, but sport for sports sake is declining because of the commercialism, pro participation, endorsements, advertising, etc. The good old days (60's and earlier) were where Olympic competition was much more honest in many ways. Committed athletes meeting head to head to see who is the best in the world and nothing more. The true Olympic spirit.

Unregistered
5th September 2012, 11:35 PM
To tell you the truth, I've used computers all my life. For school, work and pleasure.
At the beginning I used a desktop, then a laptop. Now I can do pretty much everything with a smartphone.

This does not mean I do not dislike computers but I use more the smartphone than the computer and desktops. Here in the USA there are endless of free Wifi antennas so using the internet for free is very accessible......oh this word,,, accessible!
Kite boarding is now accessible to everyone. Young and old. Storing is simple, transporting is a breeze and rigging... well as complicated as windsurfing.

I am thinking on learning to kite board after this big RIO episode. I want to try what is all about. People tell me that I will hate it because is very easy, rather than accepting the challenge of never learning windsurfing 100%.

I think that kiteboarding will become more popular than windsurfing during its peak years. You see more girls doing it, kids, old pops, and you can actually plane and turn faster and easier. It took me for ever figuring out the best way to plane faster, tack on a small board and jibe without falling down and killing my breath waterstarting. Kiteboarding seems very simple where you might learn the basics, and will give you the chance of learning more trick like jumping or fancy stuff. I only need a simple lake and I am jumping, No need to go to Hawaii and jump.

I do not know man, but the decision of windsurfing being out of the Olympics for RIO has seal the deal on my decision to switch or at least learn more kitesurfing.
....if you see in the street, nowadays everybody is checking Facebook and emails on a smartphone and not a cafe internet. So I guess is also time to adapt to a more adecuate, modern and more accessible watersport.

Cheers from a sad and nostalgic windsurfer in USA....

Krister
6th September 2012, 07:19 AM
Kite-racing is just as boring to watch as windsurf-racing is, so there is no improvement there.

The real change would be to have an indoor event, freestyle and slalom, with big electric fans, they have done that before so why not use it in the olympic games too?

Gyurmo
7th October 2012, 12:48 PM
another wiev of the situation from windsurfermag:

http://www.windsurfermag.com/magazine/olympic-windsurfing-kite-petition-vote-2016-games-rsx-one-design-class-dropped/?params=Mjl8NDI1fDEwNzU=

gyurmo

Remi
7th October 2012, 07:10 PM
Hi all,

Windsurfing still have a chance

https://vimeo.com/50812873

All the best

Unregistered
8th October 2012, 07:49 PM
Kite-racing is just as boring to watch as windsurf-racing is, so there is no improvement there.

The real change would be to have an indoor event, freestyle and slalom, with big electric fans, they have done that before so why not use it in the olympic games too?

I do not think it is very ecological! That's the main issue.

Unregistered
8th October 2012, 07:54 PM
Hi all,

Windsurfing still have a chance

https://vimeo.com/50812873

All the best

Sorry Rémi, but I think that to put forward a new class in counter productive. The main argument in favor of windsurfing is that many federation do not wish to change support! And furthermore, your class has nothing to bring compared to the RS:X.

Unregistered
8th October 2012, 08:06 PM
To tell you the truth, I've used computers all my life. For school, work and pleasure.
At the beginning I used a desktop, then a laptop. Now I can do pretty much everything with a smartphone.

This does not mean I do not dislike computers but I use more the smartphone than the computer and desktops. Here in the USA there are endless of free Wifi antennas so using the internet for free is very accessible......oh this word,,, accessible!
Kite boarding is now accessible to everyone. Young and old. Storing is simple, transporting is a breeze and rigging... well as complicated as windsurfing.

I am thinking on learning to kite board after this big RIO episode. I want to try what is all about. People tell me that I will hate it because is very easy, rather than accepting the challenge of never learning windsurfing 100%.

I think that kiteboarding will become more popular than windsurfing during its peak years.

I do not know man, but the decision of windsurfing being out of the Olympics for RIO has seal the deal on my decision to switch or at least learn more kitesurfing.

Your comparison with smartphone is inadequate. A smartphone is just a mini-computer, it works with the same technology, and has the same usage (well if you like to look a video on a screen sized like a stamp, personnaly I cannot). Kite and windsurf are 2 separate disciplines that works with different "technologies".

When you say that kite will be more popular than windsurf in its peak, I think you do not remember what was windsurf at its peak (maybe because you are not European). It was a mass sport like skiing or playing tennis, we could buy a gear in a supermarket. Kite will never be like this as it will always be seen as an extreme sport.

If you like something easy, I suggest you to consider playing cards, dominos or just stay at the bar. Have you seen curling is an Olympic discipline? It should seal the deal on your decision as it looks to be an important parameter for you (you are the only guy in the world who is not an athlete to consider that while choosing your sport!)

Remi
11th October 2012, 03:25 AM
Hi Unregistered,

If the Rsx is definitely out in November and we do not have a proposal as alternative for Windsurf, you can be sure that you will not have Windsurf for 2016!

All the best

Jean-Marc
9th November 2012, 04:50 PM
Olympic windsurfing : game over... :mad: Vote was only 68% but needed 75% to get overturned.

15:50
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1842965269/ISAF-Logo_normal.jpg (https://twitter.com/ISAFupdates)ISAF updates (https://twitter.com/ISAFupdates)@ISAFupdates (https://twitter.com/ISAFupdates)
http://cdnsl.coveritlive.com/templates/coveritlive/images/twitter_bird.png
The Events and Equipment confirmed in May 2012 stand.

Friday November 9, 2012 15:50 ISAFupdates
15:50
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1842965269/ISAF-Logo_normal.jpg (https://twitter.com/ISAFupdates)ISAF updates (https://twitter.com/ISAFupdates)@ISAFupdates (https://twitter.com/ISAFupdates)
http://cdnsl.coveritlive.com/templates/coveritlive/images/twitter_bird.png
The proposals to re-open the debate did not receive the required 75% of votes from ISAF Council.

What a pity and a sad day it is today as speed windsurfing is claiming staggering records after records for Albeau, Bordes, Bringdal, Davies, Erdil and many more to come in Namibia.

JM :(:(:(

Jorge Gutiérrez
9th November 2012, 05:18 PM
Indeed the close mindedness of ISAF is appalling, kitesurfing and windsurfing should have been included in the Olympics, perhaps this signals a change indirection is needed. I hope the mayor brands bring the Olympic sailors into their teams and onto Events like the speed trials in Namibia and the AWT.

It'd be great to have the team riders showing their stuff at more popular events like the Kona worlds, and have displays of windsurfing gear at the Miami, ft lauderdale and New York boatshows, as well as other shows around the world, we need to bring windsurfing back to the people! Efforts like the start, go and phantom 295 as well as the ezzy kids rigs are a step in the right direction

Bring cost down and make it easier for people to try the sport!

Gyurmo
10th November 2012, 07:38 AM
hi,

as far as i know its not over yet... we will have still a little chance today to bring back windsurfing to rio.

live ticker of the isaf conference in dublin today:
http://www.coveritlive.com/index2.php/option=com_altcaster/task=viewaltcast/altcast_code=c2481bc828/height=1000/width=940

The ISAF report about yesterday:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ISAF Council met today in Dun Laoghaire, Ireland.

After hearing the reports from the 2012 ISAF events and the London 2012 Olympic Sailing Competition, business moved on to discussing submissions. The hot topic of the day was the Events and Equipment to be used at the 2016 Olympic Sailing Competition.

23 submissions relating to the events and equipment for Rio 2016 were received by ISAF in advance of the Conference. In accordance with the ISAF Regulations, before the detail of any of these particular submissions could be discussed, Council were required to vote on a motion to re-open the debate on the subject. The Regulations specify that 75% of members must agree to the motion.

The submissions were presented as six proposals and Council asked to vote on them in terms of the specific changes they proposed. The first proposal grouped together the submissions that only dealt with men's kiteboarding and women's kiteboarding (020-12, 025-12, 027-12, 050-12, 051-12, 052-12, 053-12, 054-12, 055-12, 056-12, 057-12, 058-12 and 062-12). 26 Council members voted in favour and 12 were against.

Proposal 2, which featured Submission 063-12, related to Men's Kiteboarding, Women's Kiteboarding and 2nd One Person Dinghy - Finn. 14 Council members voted in favour and 23 were against and 1 abstained.

Proposals 3, 4, 5 & 6 relating to Submissions 064-12, 065-12, 071-12 and 094-12 respectively did not receive the required proposer and seconder around the table so were not considered.

With 38 possible votes, the 75% requirement was not achieved on either proposal so the events and equipment as approved in May 2012 remain for Rio 2016.

Discussions then moved on to the 2020 Olympic Sailing Competition and the selection of Core Events and Equipment. In accordance with ISAF Regulation 23.1.5, ISAF approved four core events and their equipment for the 2020 Olympics. The Men's One Person Dinghy - Laser, Women's One Person Dinghy - Laser Radial, Men's Skiff - 49er and Women's Skiff - 49erFX were approved.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

we hope the best,
gyurmo
we hope the best

Jonny
10th November 2012, 02:38 PM
It's over for RSX in Rio !!

BelSkorpio
10th November 2012, 03:04 PM
It's not over yet !!!

Olympic windsurfing is here to stay !

ISAF Host - Daniel Smith: Regulation 23.1.4 has been approved with the following amendment.

Men's Board -RS:X
Women's Board - RS:X
Men's One Person Dinghy - Laser
Women's One Person Dinghy - Laser Radial
Men's 2nd One Person Dinghy - Finn
Men's Skiff - 49er
Women's Skiff – 49erFX
Men's Two Person Dinghy - 470
Women's Two Person Dinghy - 470
Mixed Two Person Multihull – Nacra 17

BelSkorpio
10th November 2012, 03:07 PM
ISAF Host - Daniel Smith:

So, in summary... At Rio 2016 we will see Men's and Women's Board - RS:X

Gyurmo
10th November 2012, 03:15 PM
Dear Windsurfers,

Today in Ireland the ISAF council changed their May decision.

WINDSURFING IS BACK TO THE OLYMPIC GAMES IN RIO 2016 BOTH MAN AND WOMAN!

Cheers...:D
Gyurmo

Jorge Gutierrez
10th November 2012, 03:26 PM
Great news for windsurfing! Now we need to work together with kiting as wind-board sports to make sure ISAF doesn't pit us against each other again.

After that let's work on a rece format that is truly versatile and truly shows the pinnacle of windsurfing.

I'm thinking "Progressive" one design: an up to date, whiteboard, Full-on raceboard, which will have its design revised every two years, both the must current and previous design would be race-legal with a handicap rule applied to the older design in order to maintain the same competitive level and help low-budget programs get in the racing.

This way we can keep cost down AND maintain a modern board and sail in the water.

We don't want to repeat the IMCO situation, where, while being a great board back in1989 (when it was first introduced) it certainly showed it's age at Athens 2004.

I'm proposing a "whiteboard" design so different manufacturers can build their own and keep supply high with competitive pricing, manufacturers will pay royalty fees to the designer of such a board

Krister
11th November 2012, 09:56 AM
Wasn't it a "whiteboard" design that gave us the RSX that nobody wants to use....
Why not make it a formula board rather than a race board and finally have a modern design in the OS?

Gyurmo
11th November 2012, 07:52 PM
hi,

you dont understand whats happened?? you are not alone...:mad: lots decision makers dont understand whats happened!!! that is the really sad part of this story. what kind of people leading this sailing sport whom let happened what happened in may??????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????

anyway...

maybe help you to see clearer picture about the actions of 9-10 november. here is the official summary:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx

2012 ISAF Annual Conference

Dun Laoghaire, Ireland

After three days of meetings, the ISAF Annual Conference drew to a close today as the final decisions affecting the sport moving forward were made.

Hosted in Dun Laoghaire, Ireland, hundreds of delegates gathered from 1 November 2012 to discuss sailing across the world.

Olympic Events And Equipment

The Olympic events and equipment was high on the agenda of the ISAF Council and after hearing the reports from the 2012 ISAF events and the London 2012 Olympic Sailing Competition, business moved on to discussing submissions.

23 submissions relating to the events and equipment for Rio 2016 were received by ISAF in advance of the Conference. In accordance with the ISAF Regulations, before the detail of any of these particular submissions could be discussed, Council were required to vote on a motion to re-open the debate on the subject. The Regulations specify that 75% of members must agree to the motion.

The submissions were presented as six proposals and Council asked to vote on them in terms of the specific changes they proposed. The first proposal grouped together the submissions that only dealt with men's kiteboarding and women's kiteboarding (020-12, 025-12, 027-12, 050-12, 051-12, 052-12, 053-12, 054-12, 055-12, 056-12, 057-12, 058-12 and 062-12). 26 Council members voted in favour and 12 were against.

Proposal 2, which featured Submission 063-12, related to Men's Kiteboarding, Women's Kiteboarding and 2nd One Person Dinghy - Finn. 14 Council members voted in favour and 23 were against and 1 abstained.

Proposals 3, 4, 5 & 6 relating to Submissions 064-12, 065-12, 071-12 and 094-12 respectively did not receive the required proposer and seconder around the table so were not considered.

With 38 possible votes, the 75% requirement was not achieved on either proposal so the events and equipment as approved in May 2012 remain for Rio 2016.

However, at the ISAF General Assembly part of the business for the 106 Member National Authorities (MNAs) who were present was to review any regulations made or amended in any substantive way by Council since the last Ordinary Meeting which was in November 2011.

ISAF had been notified of three amendments proposed by MNAs which concerned the first two lines of Regulation 23.1.4 (Men's and Women's Kiteboarding).

As defined in the Articles of ISAF, decisions at the General Assembly shall be taken by a simple majority of votes of those present and entitled to vote. There were 114 possible voters, including the ISAF President and Vice-Presidents.

After a lengthy debate the MNAs approved the first proposal which reinstated Men's and Women's Boards - RS:X.

ISAF Regulation 23.1.4 now reads:

Men's Board - RS:X
Women's Board - RS:X
Men's One Person Dinghy - Laser
Women's One Person Dinghy - Laser Radial
Men's 2nd One Person Dinghy - Finn
Men's Skiff - 49er
Women's Skiff - 49erFX
Men's Two Person Dinghy - 470
Women's Two Person Dinghy - 470
Mixed Two Person Multihull - Nacra 17

All other changes to the ISAF Regulations were approved.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxx

hope its help,
gyurmo

Gyurmo
11th November 2012, 09:02 PM
maybe the easiest to understand explanation:

http://www.sail-world.com/Europe/ISAF-Conference---Kiteboarding-out,-Windsurfing-back-in/103684

gyurmo

Unregistered
12th November 2012, 05:28 AM
Gyurmo tks.
It is now clear that windsurfing has one more chance.
Maybe this scare has finally opened up the windsurfing community's eye's and brought everyone together focused on a common goal. Maybe now windsurfing manufacturers, the various classes / associations and the sports best sailors past present and future will get together in a formal and regular setting to keep the sport modern representative and visually exciting.
The Olympics is a huge business and as a fringe sport, windsurfing will survive if the fans want to see it! If the fans want to see it then it must be great to watch and that means high performance, pants on fire racing on really hot equipment!
Can't wait to ride

Unregistered
13th November 2012, 01:33 AM
hi fellow windsurfers,

i love windsurfing and i have done it for over 10 years. I love sailing more than anything else.
But there is something that has always bug me for years. I've seen windsurfing in the olimpics and when is light wind, it is exremely boring to watch. Not to mention that the gear is boring, plain and out of touch. I do not understand why the rs-x flee looks like that. There is nothing more appealing that watching freestyle, wave riding or slalom races. Full of colors.... And very fun to watch. Why not the same to the olimpic class???
I think kite has done nothing but being kitsurfing. The fault of windsurfing being out of the olimpics is windsurfing. Me personally i showed the windsurfing rs-x on tv to my non-windsurfer friends and they thought this was extremely boring and thought i did the same. I felt sorry for myself and for the competitors. Not to mention this is a very demanding sport and the competitors should deserve credit.
Oh, and i amost forget: I also dislike the kona race. Omg!!!
Time changes, gear changes, athlete changes, everything changes.... F1 races look totally different than 15 years ago....

I do not blame them.

Is time for windsurfing to learn from their mistakes and make a renovation. Let the new kid bring new and fresh ideas and hopefully the old man get something out from it....

I love windsurfing for life!!!!

thank you man!!!

Krister
13th November 2012, 07:59 PM
Well, Kona is unfortunately made for those who sailed in the 80-ties and don't want to change their style of sailing.

Formula gets going before kites do, so if they almost included kite, I cannot se why Formula wouldn't work in OS. Then you get a klass that is still being developed and gear that people actually like to sail on without taking part in the Olympics or any other competitions.

Unregistered
13th November 2012, 09:07 PM
There was some great racing at Weymouth including a photo finish, they were lucky to get reasonable breezes. So if the class adopts the Evo the planning threshold will be down close to formula - but they can still get round whatever happens in Rio wind wise.

Gyurmo
14th November 2012, 08:33 AM
this is what i asked few days ago:

that is the really sad part of this story. what kind of people leading this sailing sport whom let happened what happened in may??????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????

and the fair answer from rory ramsen head of rs:x class:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx

Dream on: Rio 2016 Beckons
Sunday, 11 November 2012 12:47

Never have so many fought for so long and so successfully
to get a class re-instated on the Olympic sailing programme.
This team effort involved people all over the world on many
different levels and in many different ways. The fact that the
ISAF General Assembly voted strongly in support of windsurfing
and the RS:X for Rio 2016, is testament to the passion and
determination of all these people.
You helped to keep the story alive during the long six month fight.

This morning the dreams of thousands of young windsurfers are reinvigorated. Their chance to race in the Olympic sailing regatta is restored.

Thanks for your support and your constant belief that we could do what no other part of the sailing community has achieved in the past.

This battle was fought using all the levers available. 31,254 people signed the online petition. 20,000 joined the "Appeal" page on Facebook (Thanks Adam). 14,342 followed the 'Vote Windsurfing' Facebook page. And countless others worked tirelessly in the background to lobby MNAs and turn the groundswell of opinion into a tsunami of voters at the General Assembly.

This was a truly Olympic effort and just like as in any boat race only one can win. We know how the world of kite board racing must feel for it is how we felt on May 5th. The disappointment must be palpable. They are gracious in a defeat and that will only strengthen their determination to bid again for Olympic selection.

We will do our best to help them in that endeavour right up to where the line is drawn. The line that may never be crossed under any circumstances. Windsurfing will fight and fight hard to stay in the Olympic sailing programme when threatened.

In our heart of hearts, we both know that this was a fight neither of us wanted. A compromise would have weakened the appeal of both sports to small and emerging nations round the world. Now is the time for both windsurfing and kite to take stock.

Windsurfing as a global sport slept walked into this nightmare. No one really believed that the men and women's windsurfing events would be dropped. The fact that it was woke a lot of people up. We can never again be caught napping.

Kiteboarding ran a skilful campaign. They focused on their strengths and made a strong presentation but were ultimately found wanting because the discipline of kite board racing is still new and their equipment is not fully developed. Four more years will see big changes.

As for me, it was always my intention to step down after the RS:X was selected for Rio 2016. I never expected that to be so difficult so now is the time, after almost 30 years since I ran my first IMCO European Championships in Guernsey, Channel islands to stand back and let a new generation take the sport forward to Rio and on to who knows where in 2020 and beyond.

Good luck and keep the dream that we have all share alive

Rory
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

gyurmo

Gyurmo
10th January 2013, 11:02 AM
hi,

i think this tv shows show it how beautiful and exciting can be a windsurfing race, even a course race. these were the medal race for girls and boys after 10 races. on the sails you can see the competitors' overal result before the medal race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhjrASOqy_s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL47qcX97Lc

congrats for the british tv team!!

gyurmo

BelSkorpio
10th January 2013, 04:20 PM
Yes, super tv making !
That's what our sport needs.

And what a nice finishing battle.

davide
10th January 2013, 10:04 PM
hi,

i think this tv shows show it how beautiful and exciting can be a windsurfing race, even a course race. these were the medal race for girls and boys after 10 races. on the sails you can see the competitors' overal result before the medal race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhjrASOqy_s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL47qcX97Lc

congrats for the british tv team!!

gyurmo
Great show! One wonders why they only do slalom at the PWA! This is exciting!