View Full Version : i107 or i117
2nd August 2012, 06:34 AM
After some advice on which board would be best for using with a North Warp 8.6 and Koncept 7.5 as a light to medium wind board. I have a 59cm wide board for 5.8 and 6.6 sails but am undecided on the next size up. Will the i107 carry the 8.6 comfortably or would the slightly wider i117 be a better bet for light winds or will it only get me going 1 or 2 knots earlier than the 107?
I weigh 73 kilos.
2nd August 2012, 07:16 AM
I'm the same weight as you. I used Norths in the past and I'm now on KA Koncepts.
Assuming this is for recreational sailing, I think there's the fun factor to consider too. With fun factor I mean how lively, nimble and fast the board feels underfoot.
My two "big sails" are 8.5 and 6.6 (yes, there's a bit of a gap, but it's doable). I used an iSonic 115 with both of those (68 cm wide, so an earlier equivalent of the 107) and they both definitely worked OK. I decided to update the 115 a few weeks ago, but the 107 was sold out and I ended up with the 97 instead. The 97 with an 8.5 is something I can do in a pinch (and I've tried it and it works and was surprisingly lively, but a bit tricky to uphaul etc.
The big difference is the fun factor on the 6.6. The iSonic 97 and 6.6 feel wonderful together, so while I lost some of the light wind range, the 6.6 has been my most used sail this summer and the improvement there was huge.
I'm selling the 115, so for the marginal days when I'm on the 8.5, I've taken my Hypersonic 96 out of cryo-sleep and I'm using it with the 8.5. I bet the 117 would be easier to sail and faster, but for now, I'm really enjoying going back to the Hypersonic.
So, without having tried either the 107 or the 117 and if I was in your shoes, I would go for the 107 because I think it will have a higher fun factor with the 7.5 than the 117. The 117 might be a better choice if you get far more time on the water with the 8.6 warp.
I'm really tempted to get a 7.5, but not really willing to give up the 8.5 either and I want to keep the amount of gear I have down to something remotely reasonable. I think if an 8.0 Koncept existed, I would go for that.
2nd August 2012, 10:56 AM
Looking back, I used to have both the old Sonic 110 and 125, I remember not being able to decide which was best, both worked great with 7.8m and 9m for my 100kg weight. I think you might have the same problem deciding between the 107 and the 117.
This time round, both boards have very different bottom shapes to help decide. The 107 has Flat Vee to Double Concave giving great range of use, and the 117 has flat V for control. The 107 has been bought by many and every one loves the Flat Vee to Double Concave bottom shape, there are lots of reports from owners telling how good it is. The 117 has been out-sold due to the excellent 117w, so not so many owner reports around. I suspect the 117 is still an excellent board though. If you can speak a bit of French, windsurfing33.com has a small amount of info for the 117.
The benefit for the 107 is that for med/heavy weights this board will work in a big range, with tuning it works great in light/med/high winds. Were as the 117 design brief is light weights light wind board hence flat V. The 117w with its extra width is light/med weights light wind board and its Flat Vee to Mono Concave gives big range of use (like the 107) and I suspect that despite its extra 5cm width, it will still be easy to control in rougher waters due tail width/max ratio. A lot of people report that despite is big width, it feels much smaller under the feet.
I would guess that at 73kg, you can get going pretty early on your 59cm board and 6.6m, so I guess you want the 107 or 117 just for light winds. If this is the case then you might as well go with the 117 to maximise light winds, 8.6m for super light days and 7.5m (if you get one) for flukey days.
If light winds are what your looking for, its worth thinking about the 117w as well. This board has no negative reports from owners.
It would be interesting to hear from 117 owners. I'm waiting till 13th Aug to see what the new iSonic look like then might change 3 boards for 2, my iS107, iS137 & F161 for the 2013 117 (or 117w) and US147. But it depends on if there are any big changes to the new iS Speed Specials and if I can stop myself from buying them:)
3rd August 2012, 05:33 AM
Thanks jmunkki and mark h for your replies and insight. You both have mentioned the areas I have been considering. I love the feel of the slightly smaller boards, hence thinking of the i107, but need to consider light wind days as well. I also did not wont to go to wide as I felt it would leave to big a gap in between the boards, but maybe that is not an issue.
Mark, thanks for the insight into the design of the i117 versus i117w. More food for thought. I'll definitely wait to see what the 2013 offerings are, but sometimes finances mean I need to go s/hand.
I suppose I am after a 2 board solution with the small board being eventually an i87 and there has to be some trade of in the next size, whether it be at the light wind end or in the moderate wind range.
Would still like to hear from 117 riders to get their opinion.
4th August 2012, 04:53 AM
If you wait for the 2013 boards you will have a very nice one who replace the 117, super easy with 7.8 & 8.6.
The iSonic 110 in action : https://vimeo.com/46557151
All the best
4th August 2012, 11:57 PM
A week to go. Definitely am interested in the new offerings.
5th August 2012, 12:12 AM
vBulletin® v3.8.6, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.