PDA

View Full Version : isonics life

Unregistered
25th August 2012, 06:45 AM
hallo,
heard (and personally lived) many bad experences about costruction of the IS.
Usually happens to see problem with lamination in the area between the footstraps and/or just in front of the front ones in the carbon or wood/carbon models.
We have seen it in boards built in 2010/2011/2012,used with the max care for an average number of times.

What's for?

Post it here because unfortunately that's not an isolate case but pretty common in our country.

Sorry for the complaint but wonder what you reply.

mark h
25th August 2012, 05:13 PM
Iv'e had several iSonics and never had a problem, loads of my mates also have had several iSonics and they also have never had any issues. Are you handling your boards carefully?

Unregistered
25th August 2012, 10:48 PM
you make me smile Mark!You're the classic promoter...

Don't want your reply.

Prefer to hear Remi or Tiesda.

Remi
26th August 2012, 02:28 AM
Hi Unregistered,

We have some case for the 2010, 2011 & early 2012 when they was in UD 80g Carbon, but since we go to Biax Carbon 150g this reduce a lot this kind of problems.
Hope this help

All the best

Unregistered
26th August 2012, 09:07 AM
Hi Unregistered,

We have some case for the 2010, 2011 & early 2012 when they was in UD 80g Carbon, but since we go to Biax Carbon 150g this reduce a lot this kind of problems.
Hope this help

All the best

I have to say, it takes a genius to do the outer deck laminate in UD.
Congrats!

Phill104
30th August 2012, 01:33 PM
you make me smile Mark!You're the classic promoter...

Don't want your reply.

Prefer to hear Remi or Tiesda.

What a polite reply...:rolleyes:

dimitrilagendijk
2nd September 2012, 03:57 PM
A troubled mind,
I have a Isonic woodcarbon 131 2010, and had a lot of fun with it. But last month while performing a simple gybe the left front footstrap completely ripped out out the board (the whole plug) and had to be repeared. I reached out to my shop and the contacted starboard. Since the board was over 2 years old, there was no more warrenty and had to pay for it myself. Initially not a big problem, and didn't think to much of it.
The first time out on the water performing a gybe, one i have performed over and over during the last two years, the footstrap on the other side came out of the board just like the strap on the other side. Since i knew the reaction of starboard, i did not even bother to contact them again. Knowing i had to pay for it myself again. That's not thing that bothers me the most, i really like sailing the isonics (owning a 131, 107, 101, and a 87) but my worst fear is that the other one's wil break just as easy as the others.
So now i am seriously considering to sell the other one's before they break as well.
And try out another brand.
Does anybody recognize this problems,
like to hear from you

NWF
2nd September 2012, 07:34 PM
For what it is worth. I have been sailing SB for 9 + years and have owned probably 30 + boards all in all from Formula right through the whole range, racing on national and international circuit and have never experienced any problems regarding foot straps.......
Rgds

Unregistered
3rd September 2012, 02:41 PM
you must have been very lucky.
Here in my country at least (Italy) people had plenty of problems with recent iSonics. Typical issues were deck cracks, as described here above by Remi (only change: "We have some case for ..." with: "it is almost the rule for ..."); and strap plugs popping out like in dimitrilagendijk's case.
Let's be honest.

RAW
3rd September 2012, 07:13 PM
Guys please,
Isonics are starboards racing machines. They are deigned for Professional racers who would push these boards to their absolute limits. I mean does any one think that BD or B VDS use the same board all season??? I seriously think not.
Further let's just think about other sports, cycling for example. I weigh 97 kg now and in my previous life i weighed about 87 kg cycled a minimum of 250-300 km a week as part of my cross training. I could not buy a Trek, Ridley, Look full carbon frame as used by the pro cyclists that weighed as little 70 kg or even less in the 60 kg range as the frames would crack under my weight. Even the pro cyclists at the time used multiple frames every tour due to cracking and fatigue. Ridley frames as used by Robbie MCEwan were renowned for cracking. He didn't do too bad on them tho.
What i am getting at is this....
I understand you are really pissed as you have paid serious money and your product has not the longetivity that you were hoping for....I would be too!
Unfortunately and fortunately for all of us the PWA requires the boards used by its competitors to be readily available to the public. Therefore they are made super light and fast so BD and B ZDS win.
The big benefit for us is that the tolerances of production are finer and we stand a better chance now of getting something close to what the Pros's use.
It's a double edge sword and I personally hope that all you guys get the exception that lasts as long as you hope for and performs to the highest of standards.
Good luck to all and enjoy your sailing.

PG
4th September 2012, 08:10 AM
Well, the fact is of course that full on slalom boards now are quite popular with the general, better than average skills, crowd (at least here in Finland). The challenge of riding a full on slalom board as compared to a freeride makes the blasting part of the sport interesting again.
And this largish group of people certainly appreciate well made boards that last for some years, and don't have to be repaired repeatedly. It is of course nice to ride the same boards that top racers are using in worldcup events, but not at the cost of a "total eggshell experience".
Making the slalom boards disposable after use sounds a lot like the sinker trend that killed windsurfing in the eightees.

Unregistered
4th September 2012, 10:21 AM
hey people,I was no talking about a wrong or inappropriate use of the boards by a beginner.We are a crew of experienced advanced sailors that use the board with as much care as possible.I was not talking about damages from crashes oe else,just about poor costruction quality.
When you pay so many cash for some stuff you'd expect it would last (at the top) for a couple of seasons.Or you want pay it lot more less...

Unregistered
5th September 2012, 01:02 AM
Reading between the lines of Remi's reply, am I right in assuming Starboard are admitting there was a problem with the construction of the 10, 11 & 12 models?

My 2009 iS 101 & 122 and earlier SB's have been pounded to death in the ocean with no issues (apart from peeling pads) but the same can't be said about my experience with my 2012 iSonic. I have no issue with the performance of the boards, in fact the improvements from 09 to 12 have been massive, but feel they may have drop their standards in respect to construction specifications and quality control.

It's a shame that being a loyal SB fan, I am now looking at other brands as an alternative.

Remi
5th September 2012, 06:04 AM
Hi All

The problems was comming as I say from the UD 80 Carbon who is replace by the Biax Carbon 150g who is much more stronger, so iSonic is more stronger than version 10 & 11.

And for the PWA riders like Bjorn, Ben and Cyril, they have 2 boards of each so 6 in total mostly to have one for pratice and one for race.

Hope this help

All the best

Unregistered
6th September 2012, 11:35 AM
i sonic 90 WC my 2011, delamination on the hull.just in front of the tuttle box. the after only few hours of use!

Ken
6th September 2012, 05:29 PM
2008 iSonic 111 wood - perfect condition and just keeps on going. Hopefully, starboard will keep this in mind as the try to build better boards. I wonder what percentage of iSonic buyers are serious racers?

By the way, the new products page, specifically the iSonic (I didn't look at the others) is a mess, trying to navigate through the HUGE over sized page. I never did find a list of all the iSonics by size, with all the measurements, stats, and which if any come in both carbon or wood. I hope you didn't pay for the change.

BelSkorpio
7th September 2012, 10:24 AM
It took me a while to react on this topic, but here I go as well:

IS87/2007 = OK
IS101/2009 = OK
IS122/2008 = OK
US147/2011 = OK

Unfortunately, we mostly hear negative things from "unregistered" users.
It would mean much more to me, to hear negative things from registered users with 100+ Posts, like Ken, markh, etc ....
I don't want to say that I don't believe "unregistered" users, but I'm sorry, they are just less trustworthy to me.

Again, don't let it stop you of course to criticize. When there are structural problems with certain boards we ALL want to know. In some cases pictures could help.

For my son, I've bought a few years ago a non SB 2nd hand board of 2009. After 1 year I already noticed soft spots just in front of the front foot straps. I hated it as well.

Regards.

Macka Packa
7th September 2012, 10:37 AM
2008 iSonic 111 wood - perfect condition and just keeps on going. Hopefully, starboard will keep this in mind as the try to build better boards. I wonder what percentage of iSonic buyers are serious racers?

By the way, the new products page, specifically the iSonic (I didn't look at the others) is a mess, trying to navigate through the HUGE over sized page. I never did find a list of all the iSonics by size, with all the measurements, stats, and which if any come in both carbon or wood. I hope you didn't pay for the change.

Ken, it took me a while to find it too. Scroll all the way to the right, there are three boxes - Specs is the top one. Click and all shall be revealed.

Unregistered
7th September 2012, 12:43 PM
I reply for Skorpio:i'm waiting for registration approval: Then: I sonic 86 M:Y 2008 ok,I sonic 111 M.Y 2011 Ok.I sonic 2011 107 WC ok (for now) I sonic 127 2011 OK (very fragile but i knew before..).BUT many of friends of mine has still delamination problems ,and we are expert sailor and we care about our babies ,but this happens ..I say it agai,my i sonic 90 M.Y 2011 WC after ,i think,5 hours on the water,has micro cracks (osmosis) on the hull,is normal for a new board???

Remi
9th September 2012, 03:14 AM
Hi Unregitered,

Did you file the Waranty form and send to our Distributor to study your case?

All the best

BelSkorpio
9th September 2012, 09:04 AM

Hi Remi,

When I look at the video "Wood and Carbon" of Tiesda on your web site, it seems as if you use the UD80 on Isonics and the Biax Carbon 150 on wave boards. It's not fully clear to me. Do you also use the Biax Carbon 150 on Isonics now ?

It necessitates me to ask, but starting from which serial number (or month in 2012) have you started to use the Biax Carbon 150 on Isonics ?

Regards.

Remi
10th September 2012, 01:57 AM
Hi BelSkorpio,

For 2013 their is no Wood Carbon for iSonic anymore and all of them are full carbon or full wood.

Full deck in Biax carbon 150g

For 2012 all the iSonic was in Biax Carbon on deck, it's middle of 2011 models we switch from UD 80 to Biax Carbon 150.

All the best

Unregistered
10th September 2012, 04:41 PM
Hi Unregitered,

Did you file the Waranty form and send to our Distributor to study your case?

All the best
Hi Remi,I strongly suggest you change the SB importer for Italy.

Remi
11th September 2012, 01:26 AM
Hi unregistered,

What problems you get and who are you that I can follow up, thanks

All the best

spridget
13th September 2012, 08:30 AM
after a 08/09 isonic 111 and some other isonics my 2010 cracked the deck in front of the footpads, it was repaired and i sold it now sail other brand ..

saw some minor cracks on futura's "11 on the bottom and delaminiation on deck on "12
but those can be incedents.

i must say that de printing on the new futura's look like a small kid has painted them , can't match my new tabou manta's ;-)

dimitri lagendijk
16th September 2012, 05:37 PM
Since my last reply i've had contact with starboard's importer here in holland, and what they have told me troubled me even further. Their reply on footstraps popping out of the board was; These board are made for performance, not for durability. But let's be honest, writing of a board of 1600 euro's within 2 years is a little bit to much for me. Then there was this remark from them that i was gybing wrong, but let's be honest again, how much can one do to gybe the footstraps out of the board?.
So that rubbed me the wrong way as well.
And to top this off, last week while sailing my SB Isonic 107 wood 2011 while gybing again the left footstrap (the whole plug) popped out of the deck as well.
Another wrong gybe in the opinion of SB. So now i am cutting my losses, letting the boards fixed by Brunotti Boards and try to sell them and make the switch to JP or RRD. Otherwise SB will be a very expensive brand to continue with.
I think it is reasonable to say, that it should be quite normal to sail for a couple of years more without having these problems.
Another thing that bothers me, is that SB not even asked me for foto's or whatever, just to take a look at it
And the most anoying to me is not being able to sail on good days, because my gear is being repaired.

Dimitri lagendijk,
Netherlands

Remi
17th September 2012, 01:20 AM
Hi Dimitri

Did you send here your warranty claim?

http://www.star-board.com/2013/products/asst_warranty.php

All the best

Macka Packa
17th September 2012, 12:20 PM
It saddens me when I hear that local shops/importers treat their customers without respect. I have been lucky to have had some excellent after market support from a several of shops in Perth. That support keeps me going back and spending more money. No reasonable person expects all products to be perfect - it's how mistakes are rectified that are the measure of a good organisation.

Unregistered
17th September 2012, 06:52 PM
Hello Remi,
I have contacted my suplier, your sales-partner directly. They told me it wasn't worth the effort to look at my SB Isonic 131 WC 2010 because it was 25 month old and without any discussion outside the any warranty period.
Considering my SB Isonic W 107 2011 they aren't able to compensate any repairs made to this board even thought it's 13 months old. And better yet, i have sailed this board for like 10 sessions max.
And in the back of my mind i know i could let Brunotti Boards repair this board as well, but then it is just a matter of time before the other strap pops out. cause that's what happened with my 131 as well.
This whole experience is causing me to gybe in another way, thinking about what i am doing in stead of doing my gybes in full auto-mode. In a certain way making me insecure. Every gybe having the idea that the other one will pop out.
I still have both warranty claims, but is it worth the effort to try my luck over there?, cause i'm not aiming for any restitutions.
My only aim is to be taken seriously by SB and not to be blaimed for any production flaws, without any disrespect, i have been gybing several brands for about 20 years now, and my gybing technique hasn't changed in any way, but these two board are my first damages of this kind.
Kind regards,

Dimitri Lagendijk

Remi
18th September 2012, 06:57 AM
Hi Dimitri,

The reason why we switch from UD 80 Carbon to Biax Carbon 150g + Reinforcement to not have this problems on the 2012 & 2013 models. So no need to change your jibing Technique on those.
Sorry for this happen to you after the warranty.

All the best

Unregistered
18th September 2012, 02:01 PM
Hello Remi,
Thanks for your quick reply, though it doesn't help me that much, cause in other words you are saying, SB has already improved the production process, regarding the deck and construction of the footstraps, though i was told by SB that my damages had nothing to do with the manufacturing-proces.
And now it is save to say that i can buy some more 2012 and 2013 boards from SB, considering al my money was spent on boards that weren't that good to begin with.
That's like buying a brand new car, which breaks down every time and the dealership tells you, well if you buy the next model al those faults are fixed. (just outside the warranty)
This for me is the sign to try my luck with another brand. Hoping to be taken more seriously as a custumor then SB did. Nothing personal towards you Remi. Since i have no idea who you are, but you have a better sense of service than your employer does.
It really saddens me to say this is the point of seperation between me and SB.
Kind regards

Dimitri Lagendijk

Unregistered
18th September 2012, 02:58 PM
I feel sorry for those that have had durability problems. I just want to say that I think this does not apply to all isonic wood boards. I have the IS101 from 2008 and my board has held up incredibly well. I use this board with 6.4 7.1 and 7.7 sails (it is my only slalom/speed board) and sometimes it is very choppy. I think I have really used this board quite hard since I don’t have any smaller board for speed, probably done about 3000km on it and it still feels rock hard. My heels are hurting from running fast over chop so I have often wondered how long the board will manage. Compared to older boards like the f2 axxis that got very soft under the foot after I few years and my RRD FSW from 2004 with carbon deck but glass bottom that gets dented by every little knock on the bottom. I also have to say that my naish wave boards have had very good quality as well. I fully understand that if one board I disappointing you tries something else when you have the chance. I avoid RRD since I had one bad RRD board. I also think one or two years warranty is not worth that much since many boards are not used that regularly. If you sail it 20 times and 2hrs each the one year warranty is in reality a 40hrs of use warranty. I think that the distributors should be extra generous in countries that have a very short sailing season because of the winter.

Per

Remi
19th September 2012, 02:37 AM
Hi Dimitri,

Can i have your email address, thanks

All the best

Unregistered
19th September 2012, 07:41 AM
Hi Remi,
My email is dimitrilagendijk@hotmail.com

kind regards,
Dimitri

Phill104
19th September 2012, 08:07 PM
Might be worth obfuscating your email addy as best you can or every spammer will be your best friend.

Phill104
19th September 2012, 08:16 PM
Hi Dimitri,

The reason why we switch from UD 80 Carbon to Biax Carbon 150g + Reinforcement to not have this problems on the 2012 & 2013 models. So no need to change your jibing Technique on those.
Sorry for this happen to you after the warranty.

All the best

Fortunately, here in the UK we have laws that protect us after the implied warrany expires, much of the world has similar laws. Goods must be fit for the purpose. Given your remarks here it is quite easy to prove that there is a manufacturing issue. However in the UK we are extremely lucky to have a great importer (Tushingham) who in my experience always to their very best for the customer. As a result I have a lot of faith in Starboard products. I also have an iS107 2011 but in wood construction so I am confident that after all these years producing wood boards that it will last as well as my iS115 did before it.

Dimitri,

I really hope you manage to get your board sorted. The iSonics really are great boards as I am sure you know. I love mine and would not want to change to any other brand offering.

Unregistered
19th September 2012, 09:05 PM
Hey Phil,
I can confirm you're right regarding the Isonics are to be compared with little rockets. That's one of biggest issue for me, knowing i have to look out for another brand, but then again, there is an option.
I Have read you also own a SB 107 wood 2011, but have you read the list from Remi for whitch boards are build with the Biax Carbon 150 technique?
My board's footstraps are popping out of the deck as if they weren't stuck in it.
And that's after sailing no more than 20 to 30 hours on it. Hope your board holds out longer than mines did
Good luck to you and hang loose,
Dimitri

Phill104
20th September 2012, 12:06 PM
I would be interested to hear from Remi if the Wood editions are also affected. However, I did examine closely my 107 this last weekend after it got some slight damage from a flying rig. It has had quite a bit of usage that board and the inserts seem to be in tact.

As for other options of the other brands I have played on the RRDs were the only ones that I liked to a similar level. All personal preference though.

Remi
20th September 2012, 08:08 PM
Hi Phil104

To not make confusion the real reason of the change between UD to Biax is to
make the board more comfortable and fast and ligther the Biax absobe better the vibration and came to simIlar feeling as the wood but ligther, ligther because no need to add glass on top of the UD. On top of that it's also more stronger thé recason why I say that. The percentage of the footstraps who come off is very low and get lower but the fact with forum it feel like a big thing. Alwys try to make better racing boards in all direction.
The Wood board is the more durable Technology that we have for the iSonic.
Hope it help

All the best

Phill104
20th September 2012, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the info. Clears thing up very well. As I said, I love the iSonics. My current 3 bring me huge smiles every time I use them especially the 107.

Unregistered
24th September 2012, 09:16 PM
Hi Remi,

Is biax carbon used in the construction of the 2013 futuras as well?

Regards