PDA

View Full Version : Proper way of leaving board on shore?

new futura owner
17th October 2012, 09:47 AM
As silly as it sounds, what is the proper way of leaving your board on the beach while you go and grab your gear to rig? I see some sailors leave the board where the back is pointing upwind and some where the front is point upwind. Just want to do it right so I don't see my new futura go flying with the gusts! :D

-Thanks!

BelSkorpio
17th October 2012, 10:50 AM
In really high winds, I put my nose in the wind. The back is catching more wind because of the fin pushing it up.

If you can plant the fin completely into a sandy beach it's even better.

Farlo
18th October 2012, 02:56 PM
Planted fin yes but with rear pointing upwind, otherwise it may very well fly away. The worse thing is to leave it in a few inches of water. The surf will hammer it down on small shells/stones and you end up with cellulite all over the hull.

Unregistered
18th October 2012, 09:40 PM
Planted fin yes but with rear pointing upwind, otherwise it may very well fly away. The worse thing is to leave it in a few inches of water. The surf will hammer it down on small shells/stones and you end up with cellulite all over the hull.

Why the rear pointing up wind?

Farlo
19th October 2012, 03:15 PM
Fin planted the board will offer less lift with rear upwind. Otherwise it's the reverse, nose upwind is better.
Deck up or down? I don't know, I see both. Would say deck up if the fin is smaller than 30 cm.

Unregistered
3rd November 2012, 09:06 PM
Fin upwind, rightside up, so you walk rig to board, flip it up on rail, plug in mast track, and lift to go into the surf.