PDA

View Full Version : 101 or 111

30th April 2007, 07:38 PM
Hello,

I weigh 88 kg, and sail at an advanced level. In light winds I like speed, for which I use an Isonic 135 with a NP RS6 9.0. In strong winds I like manoevres and jumping for which I use a Fanatic Freewave 104 and a Proof Wave 89. In intermediate winds, as in light winds, I like to be fast (all the time!!). Which speed/slalom board should I buy for intermediate winds, using a NP RS4 7.2 and a NP saber 6.7. I cannot decide between the Isonic 101 and 111. Can someone give me his/her advice to help me with this decision?

Thanks in advance and cheers,

TJ

o2bnme
30th April 2007, 08:41 PM
Hi TJ. I weigh 65kg, so keep that in mind when reading this...

I would pick the 101 if you expect to have your 6.7 or 7.2 fully powered up. If you expect to be in conditions where there are holes in the wind, I would suggest the 111. Don't forget you can tune the board by changing the fin as well. This adds to the range of both boards. I love my iS105, but tend to choose a larger board when I see that the lake conditions I'm sailing in have lulls. While the iS105/101 can float through lighter winds, I go up to my F-Type 148 in order to avoid having to deal with pumping back onto a plane. Also, in the winter months, the extra size of a larger board is nice, so maybe that's swaying my response. The 101 will be very unstable for you if you aren't in motion (tacks, uphauling, etc).

$0.02

crazychemical
1st May 2007, 01:26 AM
baring in mind with the boards you already have, i'd go for the 111. O2bnme already gave the wind reasons and i agree wit that, especially because i just put my brain at work with my weight which is 90 Kg.

3rd May 2007, 11:56 PM
Hello o2bnme and Crazychemical,

Thank you for your advice, I've ordered the Isonic 111.

All the best, TJ

o2bnme
4th May 2007, 01:05 AM
I can't wait to hear how you like it!

23rd May 2007, 03:49 AM
Last weekend I sailed the Isonic 111 for the first time with a NP RS Slalom 7.8 (fully powered up). Wow, this board is extremely fast. It is incredibly controllable when sailing at very high speed in chop. Furthermore gibing went smooth, which I did not expect. All in all I'm very pleased with the Isonic 111.

Thank you Starboard Development Team for delivering such a fantastic board, keep up the good work!!

All the best, ;)

TJ

o2bnme
23rd May 2007, 04:15 AM
Sounds like you had the same first impression as me. I was surprised by the jibing because people kept saying it wasn't as good at jibing. I guess everything is relative as I was replacing a board that wasn't a very good jiber.

25th May 2007, 03:36 PM
You should really try a 101 before makiing ur mind up.

Its an amazing board and will also take 7.8 to 6.5

Rgds