PDA

View Full Version : Epi Pen and Electronic Keys

windsurferdagg
4th May 2007, 08:36 PM
Alright, so I just recently (wednesday) got my G2, which in Ontario, Canada, allows me to drive without my parents. So I will be driving myself to windsurf instead of my parents driving me.

Two Problems...

1. I am allergic to various things and need an epipen (for those who don't know its an auto injector with pretty much liquid adrenaline). This epipen cannot get wet, and I would prefer if it stayed on me somehow. There is my first delema.

2. I use one of the newer cars with the bright idea of putting the key fob thing on the actual key. This electronic device that lets you open doors from afar is really not that usefull in the water and cannot get wet.

So there is my problem, I do happen to have a kite Dakine Tabu Harness ( :o I know, but it meant not sailing for a month of i got a windsurfing harness) and it does have that fancy handle on the back so I was thinking something could be used with that.

Any suggestions are welcome. and thank you in advance for any replies.

Thomas

o2bnme
4th May 2007, 09:40 PM
First, congrats on being able to drive solo! I remember the day I got my license. What a great feeling!!

1. get a waterproof case for the epi pen for starters and then wear a thin life vest with a pocket to secure the pen.

2. most cars come with (or you can get one made) a key without the fob part. My Audi, for instance came with a plastic key that didn't have the fob attached.

Other ideas for #2 depend on how you transport your gear. I used to use a cargo box for my sails/booms. I would leave my car key locked in that box while I wore the box key around my neck (under my rash guard or wetsuit). Now, I have a trailer, so I lock my key in the trailer and take the padlock key with me around my neck.

Regarding #1, I would leave a medical-information note on my windshield to alert people that you are severe allergies. Then, if something happens and you need medical attention, people will have a better chance of being aware of it.

Duracell
4th May 2007, 09:59 PM
http://www.aquapac.com/

Phill104
5th May 2007, 04:11 AM
You have loads of options.

You could just use an aquapac as sugested above.

Another option would be to wear a camelbak or other hydration pack and put your bits in a small waterproof pack inside that with the added bonus of having a portable water supply.

Another option, though not cheap, you can get little packs that attach to the back of most harnesses such as this.

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/shopv51/product.asp?numRecordPosition=1&P_ID=622&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=234

Then get a small aquapac to put your dry stuff in and place this in the harness pack.

windsurferdagg
20th May 2007, 04:58 AM
just to keep everyone up to date, I did manage to get a small watertight bag that fits the key nicly. I am going to wrap the key in a zip lock bag for added protection against the maybe minimal water that might leek through the watertight bag. The nice thing is, it does fit inside the harness, on the side, quite nicly. I do not have a key pocket on my harness so I had to improvise.

I will try to get a picture of everything so other people, if they have this problem too, can solve it. Everything ended up costing me $10.50 CND (cause the more money you spend, the better quality the bag).

My epipen just stays in the car so its all good too and I made sure everyone knows my allergies and symptoms to look for etc

Thanks for the help everyone,

flipper231
21st May 2007, 09:50 AM
Great...
I am no doctor but I work in medicine and I cannot see what allergy you might have that would require an epipen, especially if you sail in fresh water. Salt is different since you may get stung by some of the seafood swimming arround. Bees don't hang ou over lakes since there are not much flowers there.

Have fun out there and I will try to look around my harness...Leaving my bag on the beach with the ipod and the car keys might not be the best solution.