PDA

View Full Version : Replacing my S-type 115

Klint
11th June 2007, 08:58 PM
Hi,

I have a three board quiver consisting of Kombat 87w, s-type 115 d-ram and iSonic 122w.

I’m now looking to replace the s-type 115 in favor of something smaller, faster, which can handle chop and strong winds even better and also due to the fact that I feel there’s a certain overlap between the st115 and the iS122. I already have a buyer for the st115 so keeping it is not an option.

What I’m looking for is a slalomy blasting board that sits just sweet in between the K87 and the iS 122. I intend to use 7,0 + 6,0 + 5,4 nocam freeride sails on the smaller board I’m now going for. When the wind drops a bit I’m on iS and 7,5 or 9,0 cammed freerace sails. When the wind picks up or waves are building up I’m on K87 and 4,7 or 5,4 crossover sails.

I have considered the s-type 104, s-type 93 and even the iSonic 94. Rider weight 85 kgs with some 10 years experience of our sport. I sail costal conditions with equal amounts of swells, chop and mirror flat sweet blasting waters. What do you recommend me to get?

thanks!

/ Andy

steveC
11th June 2007, 11:48 PM
Have you thought about the iS101? Seems to fit right in there very well between your Kombat and the larger iS. I wouldn't let your intent to use no cam sails dissuade you. Personally, I really like matching up no cams with my slalom boards, as they free things up quite a bit, especially in the transitions.

Duracell
12th June 2007, 03:49 PM
K87 == fun bumping around?
-> ST104 Technora
I've seen ST104 Wood with lots of cracks

matty
12th June 2007, 04:09 PM
Duracell wrote:
-> ST104 Technora

Have you had some bad luck with a board or two? All you seem to ever do is moan.

Klint
12th June 2007, 06:13 PM
steveC,

Still consider the iSonics to be a viable option for a smaller blasting board, but I’m leaning more and more towards some of the smaller s-types. Have no experience with a dedicated slalom board paired with no cam freeride sails, but according to you it should be a good match.

If I was to choose between the ST 93 and ST 104, which one do you think would suit my quiver and sailing conditions the best?

Phill104
12th June 2007, 10:00 PM
I had a ST104 and found 7.0 to really be it's upper limit. I weigh the same as you.

If you're more often in flat or choppy water then th iS is great.

isonic
12th June 2007, 11:18 PM
If I was to choose between the ST 93 and ST 104

st 104

93 IS TOO CLOSE OF k87

Phill104
12th June 2007, 11:29 PM
isonic wrote:
If I was to choose between the ST 93 and ST 104

st 104

93 IS TOO CLOSE OF k87

I wouldn't say they are too close. I volume terms yes, but in type of ride and conditions that you would use them there is a big difference.

I used to have a ST104 and a K97. They took the same sails but depending on my mood and the prevailing conditions I would choose wich one to use.

steveC
13th June 2007, 01:56 AM
Hi Andy,

Well, if it's a choice between the ST93 and the ST104, I would think it best to consider your most often sailed conditions. If the likelihood of powered conditions (4.7 to 6.0) is more often the call, I think the ST93 would come out ahead. However, if conditions in the 6.0 to 7.0 range are more likely, especially if the chances of a sudden lightening of the wind are also part of your normal scene, than the ST104 makes more sense because of the extra volume. In reality, the two boards are actually very close in dimensions, hence the same recommended ceiling sail size (6.5).

I guess there's another thing to consider in the mix, and that would be the water conditions (swell and chop). In my locale, the wind and water conditions can sometimes be unrelated, as the swell can be coming from a totally different direction, or it can be coming from a great distance away. If you experience similar conditions, the smaller board would tend to be less flighty overall.

Duracell
13th June 2007, 02:41 PM
matty wrote:
Duracell wrote:
-> ST104 Technora

Have you had some bad luck with a board or two? All you seem to ever do is moan.

Not true (moan) and yes (eye witness (n*)as well as personal experience (1*)) I've seen banged up ones (wood).

ST104 Technora will be tons of fun, wood too, but a more radical sailor will prefer coming home on an intact board at the time of his choice and not his boards (e.g. because its filling up with water or some other fatal catastrophy...)

AlexWind
14th June 2007, 01:52 AM
I got the ST93 for a target next to yours and I think it's a superbe board, very good even in choppy conditions..
Now, considering you're 13kg heavier maybe the ST104 is your "way to go"..

P.S. I got the D.Ram construction, I've heard wood is a bit more direct but many has report some breakings..

Phill104
14th June 2007, 02:21 AM
Of all the wood boards I have seen or owned I've never had a problem. Considering how badly I treat my boards (especially by leaving them wet in their bags) and how often I sail this must say something good about their construction.

Duracell
14th June 2007, 03:19 PM
Phill104 wrote:
Of all the wood boards I have seen or owned I've never had a problem. Considering how badly I treat my boards (especially by leaving them wet in their bags) and how often I sail this must say something good about their construction.

humor yourself:
take 10 coins (something like a quarter or euro) don't think you'll need that many)
start:
drop 1 coin from 1 meter onto your board
(ding?) -> stop, how many coins (<=3?)?
(no ding)-> tape that coin(s) to another coin and repeat (goto start:)

my Is133 already got a ding from a fin (40cm) head that slipped out of its sheath and fell 10-15 cm.

I love the performance of the board but the quality sucks. I would have gotten it in technora but only available from iS145 on.

matty
14th June 2007, 04:06 PM
Duracell,

Looks like you&#39;re back to your usual happy self again.

If wood boards were truely that bad then *board wouldn&#39;t be able to sell any. But they sell loads, probably more boards than any other manufacturer. Why is that?

AlexWind
14th June 2007, 04:35 PM
Oh well, that&#39;s why they sell two boards for almost each type: you&#39;d chose wood if you like no-compromise-performance, lightness, stiffness, even sacrificeing a bit of durability; you&#39;d chose technora if you prefer a stronger board for more than one season maybe..

Both are good for the purposal they&#39;re ment to..

Klint
14th June 2007, 05:59 PM
Well, I certainly expect my *board woodies to last more than one season. I already have an iSonic wood and Kombat wood, no problems so far.

/ Andy

Screamer
14th June 2007, 09:04 PM
Duracell
If this is going to make you feel better, my JP slalom (full carbon construction) also dinged from a dropped finhead. And from rocky beaches. And from oversize extension pulleys. And from kiteboard fins (don&#39;t ask). Etc.....(although I can&#39;t believe your fin dropped was from a 10 cm height).
From my experience, I don&#39;t think there is a significant difference in durability between (similar class) boards from different manufacturers.

o2bnme
14th June 2007, 10:20 PM
I am on my 2nd season of heavy usage (F-Type 148 Wood). It was Roger&#39;s demo board for a year prior to me getting my hands on it. It has a few repairs from being abused while out on demo, but I would expect that. I have had no real issues with mine. It is holding up very well. Then again, I have yet to really damage a board more than a small ding here or there.

Phill104
15th June 2007, 04:59 AM
Duracell

It would be interesting to know the percentage of wood boards and the percentage of dram boards that get returned/repaired under warranty. Having said that, I bet most returned boards are damaged by couriers during shipping to the dealer.

Apart from catapult damage (which would hurt the nose of any board) and the odd chip on the rails, I&#39;ve rarely seen damage to the wood dram boards. It&#39;s true that modern construction is less robust than boards of old but if the market demands a higher performing and lighter board then we must expect some compromises. Imagine the weight of an injection moulded formula board:o

Ian Fox
15th June 2007, 02:09 PM
Hi Andy/Klint,

The ST93 is definitely a good fun choice - and would size between K87 and iS122 much better than most think (this also allowing for the fact that the 122 has a very useful "upper " wind range as well, which will get you nicely into ST93 6.0-6.5m territory) ST 93 won&#39;t do so good with 7m/85kg.

iS101 is definitely a more freeridy race solution than classic slalom boards of that volume and also fits very nicely (both by size and more importantly effective range) between the K87 and iS122 - but carrying the proviso the ride is really more "slalom" style and not the B&J ride (or construction) of the ST93.

ST104 also fit&#39;s ideally, and if you really want this new midsize board to have a lot of 7m range, but still the reactive, less locked down ride of the iS101, then the ST104 could be a better compromise.
But if you&#39;re not too concerned about compromising 7m use on the mid board, then think about ST93 as being an exciting and versatile option.

Cheers ~ Ian

Seasons : many
Present : many (inc) ST93 and K87(with minor ding from ST93 TT head dropped ~1m)
Yes, it slipped out of the sheath. And yes, I was pissed off ! ;) true !