PDA

View Full Version : does the Go go?

12th June 2007, 03:36 AM
I have a Go 139 and am around 150 pounds. I sail mostly in around the 7.6-5.8 weather and sometimes break into the 5,0 weather but not often.

The GO is a good board, I am just thinking that I do not like a lot of the beginner features. I never use the center handle, never used the fins, never used the straps except in outboard position. I find the volume too big too.

I guess what I am trying to say is, do I keep the go to use with my 7.6 and maybe the 6.6? or do I sell it and buy a smaller board like somewhere around the 115-125 litre range that can handle the bigger sails. I find the added bulk and weight of the Go is unnecessary at the stage I am at.

I can sail comfortably in both straps, sail upwind, downwind etc and can tack and starting to try jibing. I sail in mostly 6.6 conditions down, but I was thinking if I can get a smaller board and learn the technique, I can still plane pretty fast. The smaller outline would make it faster, more manueverable and jump way easier as well as it won't have the beginner features that I really hate. I have heard from friends that smaller boards can plane just as fast as my 139. I was thinking of a board that I could use for speed sailing when the conditions are flatter too. usually those boards can carry the bigger sails too

If you have any suggestions, have been in the same situation and/or if you want an excellent Go in great condition let me know ;)

crazychemical
12th June 2007, 04:30 PM
I own both a 113 L board and the Go. I weigh about 180 pounds (90 kg) and i absolutely adore the GO in lightwind conditions when i can take out my 7.6 and get planning on the go. It's a really fast board, you have to admit, but i agree that when the winds pick up i becomes unstable because of its volume and you lose controle very fast if you don't have the propper weight to counter. Considering you weight about 15 K less then i do i think a smaller board would give you the extra adge though, as you are a beginner to choose your boards 'perfect' volume you take your weight in kilograms and add 40. That way you can still stand on your board when its non planning and you'll have a more accurate feel when it is planning.
Don't go below the volume though, unless you're already waterstarting. And if you want to sail a 115 L board with a 7.6 you'll need a bigger fin then the stock fin probably.

Hope this is helpful

windsurferdagg
12th June 2007, 06:57 PM
I always have no problem waterstarting. I will probably get a bigger fin too. If I am selling my Go, I will make sure I can get a good price so I can buy a board bag/bigger fin too.

The Tabou Rocket is what I am looking at. Perfect for what I want to do

has anyone else ridden it?

12th June 2007, 11:36 PM
Hi Windsurferdaag,

So you want to get higher performance for more more speed, jumps, and carves, eh? Sounds like you'll need a smaller, narrower board. The Carve 111 or 120 ought to do the trick. People in the US midwest use the Carve 111 for GPS speed contests, so I reckon it's fast enough! It's sail range goes to 7.5 (7.6 is probably fine) but it will most likely need a bit more wind than the GO to plane. I have an older model Carve 99 that I love.

Have you had a chance to try one of your buddies' small boards? I would start there to see what you like.

Good luck.

windsurferdagg
13th June 2007, 03:54 AM
alright will do... I ask about the tabou rocket because a sailor near me is selling it for a great price, and funny enough, before I heard about it, I was saying to everyone that I would love to get the s type or the rocket

And according to matt pritchard, they are very close in style with the accent being in early planing for the rocket and I can't remember what he said for the s type.

But yah, the 115 i was thinking

Screamer
13th June 2007, 04:30 AM
Poster #1

From everything you've written, it's time for a smaller board. Since you're lightweight, a Carve111 will carry a 7.6 no problem, but if you don't have any experience with smaller boards, go for the 122 or similar.
I agree you can't expect it to plane in the same wind (or more importantly, with the same ease) as the Go. You'll find out anyway that you need (at least) two boards ;)

windsurferdagg
13th June 2007, 07:37 AM
ah well... I still found I couldn't get the Go planing as fast as it is supposed to. My friend can school me on a hyper sonic (105 L) wth ease... he plans on teaching me the technique later this season.

As for the other issue, I like being super powered anyways, So getting onto the plane is no problem when I get my stance straightened out. I also want a new board because I want inboard straps! I can't stand being outboard for nonspeed sailing runs. I want to jump, I want to carve more, with the Go, its just big and heavy...

Il find out if I can get the tabou rocket 115. lets just say mint condition for 500 less than whatI can sell my Go for ;)

14th June 2007, 11:39 PM
A HYPERSONIC BEATING A GO BOARD??? MY LORD WHAT HAS HAPPENED HERE???
:D

15th June 2007, 01:25 AM
I weight 185 pounds, and got a Go 170 and a tabou rocket 115 2007. I am happy I did not sell my Go 170, and I am happy I got this rocket. Why?

The first times out on the rocket was a bit hard, as it was so "nervous" compared to the big 170. But after a few attempts, I find this board much more fun in stronger winds. I discovered that one have to be precise on the feets to tack this boards, and the core skills from the Go came in very very handy(straps, harness, waterstart). The new experiences on the rocket did instantly make me a better sailor on the Go board, and I plane faster and more relaxed on the Go board, and now I am trying to make small jumps with this float. The Go is superior to rocket in light wind, and I outsail those on smaller freerides with the Go in light winds.

So if you can afford it, you might should keep your Go for light wind super blasting, and add a 115 rocket(or carve or whatever). You are lighter than me, so perhaps you even should go down to around 105 liters or less, like 90 liters.

I was planing to learn to carve gybe on the rocket, but discovered that it's actually easier to learn that on the Go, and skills are easily transfered to the rocket. So i disagree with you that the Go is too big to learn carve gybes.

Just my experience.

windsurferdagg
15th June 2007, 07:26 PM
unfortunatly its either one or the other. I am only 150ish pounds though. The 139 is pretty bulky and heavy and almost seems uneccessary. The 115 Tabou Rocket I am looking at is a 2005. I wish I could keep both, but there is no way I will be able to I don't think. I guess the jump from 139 to 115 L is a big one, but I learn very fast (i started seriously sailing this year) and have the neccisary skills I need I think. I have also heard that learning on a smaller board right before its ideal in the progression chain wil lmake you a better windsurfer as you learn to not rely on lots of litres to get you planing, but more rely on technique to get you planing.

One of my sailing friends prooves this. Me on the Go trying to figure out some things while he can just rocket onto the plane on his 105. HE is 15 pounds heavier, we are both on same rig, etc.

But I probably won't sell my Go (beceause I can't) yet. I plan on getting very comfertable blasting and at least solidly attempting carve jibes before I move onto the smaller board.

17th June 2007, 04:15 PM
I have a go 170 but i am only 63kg, just like to know whether you guys had any problems water start, while beach start is easy, i found that because of the extra volume, it is harder to water start than a smaller board. Am i right?

:(

---------------------
starboard 170
loft 02 6.6
severne powerdrive 4.2

17th June 2007, 06:01 PM
Maybe a little since it sits higher in the water, but the sail is much more important.

peterw
19th June 2007, 11:38 AM
I just bought a GO bd after an autumn of light winds, my carve wasnt that flash in light winds, I have found the GO great with a 7.5 sail in light winds, it can way outperform the carve

19th June 2007, 07:48 PM
The GO170+TR115 guy here again.

I do not think the jump from 139 to rocket 115 is that big. I myself jumped from 170 to 115.

If you just can have one board, the 115 is a good choice in my opnion for your weight. I think you are playing it safe and wise.

For a two board quiver, you would do great with the GO and a 80-90-100 litre freeride/freestyle.

Btw, I sail faster and better over the chops with a seat harness on the GO. The seat really helps to pull down the big sails(6.5 and up) and genererates mast foot pressure, making the ride smoother, giving room to sail more aggressive. I change to waist harness on smaller boards.

Again, just my experience.