PDA

View Full Version : CoE marked on sail/s ??!!

25th July 2007, 05:35 PM
Recently met a sailor who had small pieces of red electricians tape on window of all his sails.(probably 3cm long)
Dead simple idea; they corresponded to centre of his harness lines and obviously gave his boom height for that sail aswell. Got me to thinking it would be a good idea for sail manufacturers to put a vertical line down through window area showing centre of effort for that sail.Obviously it moves for various settings but it would give a good starting point for harness line attachment points ???
I`m using the red electricians tape idea ;it does save time and when you hit water you know harness lines are spot on ! (As long as nobody has moved the bits of tape !!!???):D

25th July 2007, 08:44 PM
yea yea buddy. North Sails have been putting harness line indicator marks on their sails for years.

Floyd
25th July 2007, 10:35 PM
Actually since 2000 . Dont think anyone else does though and the bits of red tape are a good idea; infact probably better than the HTS system because different sailors do end up with harness lines in different places.; preferences.etc etc. :)

26th July 2007, 07:09 AM
yea agree different sailors might have different harness line positioning, but the North Sails marks still work fine. I just know that for my 9m North sail, I generally need my lines about 1.5" behind the sail marks. But it varies slightly if I rig a bit differently, or wind is lighter/stronger, or mast base position is slightly different etc etc etc.

26th July 2007, 07:30 AM
actually the more i think about it, the more benefit i think those North sails harness lines marks are! when it really helps is when i switch my boom from a 7m sail to a 9m sail. there is a big difference in the harness line position. maybe about 8" or so. so the marks really help me get them into the right position quickly.