PDA

View Full Version : Which Evo

7th August 2007, 08:09 PM
I am looking at the Evo for my intoduction to ocean wave sailing. I am am a all around experienced sailor (weigh 165 lbs / 75 kg). I currently have a Carve 101 for free ride bay conditions and sails (7.5, 6.2, 5.5). My question is which Evo will take me in the ocean and bump and jump conditions from 6.2 down to 4.2. I was looking at the Evo 80. My concern is primarily getting on the 6.2 and 5.5 since wind conditions are more in this range and occasionally will see 4.7 and 4.2. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Andrew Pierce

kingo
7th August 2007, 09:29 PM
You may find the Kombat 87/89 a bit nicer for bump&jump sailing with a 6.2
& 5.5.The Kombats can hold their own on a wave too:D.I own a Kombat 87
and Evo 80 and really only use the evo for real wave use.I weigh in at 79kg
and use the K87 with a 4.5-6.2m2 and its much more suited to bump&jump,esp jump:p
I only tend to use the Evo 80 with a 5.7m2 max down to a 4.5m2.

Ola_H
8th August 2007, 03:22 AM
Kingo is right. A Kombat would be a better board to get going in general ocean sailing and also in waves. An EVO is a fantastic board for learning to waveRIDE, but can sometimes feel like a too big a step from a freerider due to a less precise feel in a straightline (some people can handle the change however, depends on sailing style). But still a Kombat it pretty much the ideal ocean B&J board so from what you write a Kombat seems to be it. The Kombats have rockers and bottom shape taken from the Pure Acid wave boards, so they are far from dull in the wave department.

As for sizing, a K79 will probably give you the widest range and certainly the best performance with 5.0 and down. But on the other hand, K87 will be much more effective with a 6.5. K79 can handle it the right fin, but it will not be an ideal match. So, if "your concern" above really reflect your priorities, the K87 is probably the way to go. Get a wave fin like the Drake Natural 23 to handle the smaller sails.

10th August 2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks, to both of you for the advice. It seems the Kombat 87 is the way to go based upon a realistic assessment of my sailing conditions (medium wind, open ocean, mainly bump and jump, occassional waves).

Ola, any big changes for the Kombats in 2008? I realize you can not offically comment until Aug 15t, howevere I am currently looking at some nice prices on 2006 and 2007 Kombats.

kingo
11th August 2007, 05:32 PM
I would say the 87 is a bit earlier to plane and slightly more crisp in feel compared to an 86.It feels a bit quicker.It also had the spiraling vee added
on the 87.Which makes it very loose and dynamic in turns.The 89 is probably faster but with a wider tail to promote even earlier planing,with a tweek to the rocker line.I would go for the 87 over the 86,if you don't want
too splash out on the 08.

Ola_H
12th August 2007, 10:49 PM
Guest wrote:
Ola, any big changes for the Kombats in 2008? I realize you can not offically comment until Aug 15t, howevere I am currently looking at some nice prices on 2006 and 2007 Kombats.

Some changes, but shape wise not much in the smaller models. 07 K87 is still a safe bet, I had that board and its a treat.