PDA

View Full Version : Footstrap screw problem

ir194
21st August 2007, 06:18 PM
Hey guys,
I was out sailing on my 2006 flare 104 when I noticed after doing a body drag that my back strap was broken. I thought that I might have tore the plug out but it turns out that the screw snaped inside the board.

Unfortunatly the warranty is just up, so any suggestions on how to get it out (and its not sticking out of the board so i dont think a pliers will get it).

James Mulligan
IR194

Mike T
22nd August 2007, 09:24 AM
James
I snapped the head of a foot strap screw many year ago putting a screw in a West Wind Custom, but not while sailing. Here is a couple of ideas. You could try drilling a small hole in the center of the screw and then use a machinist easy out tap. But my guess trying to drill a small hole in a stainless screw would not work to well. Their is another tool that you can find at a woodworkers store, Woodcraft or Rockler woodworking (usa) It's called a screw extractor, Basically it's a hollow piece of stainless tubing with very sharp teeth at both ends. When I bought mine to redo a deck they had them in different sizes so take a spare screw with you and size it up.You put the extractor in the drill chuck but not to tight or you can crush the tubing. Slide the teeth over the screw and very slowly drill into the wood or in this case the plastic insert. You might even go in reverse so the teeth don't grab right away and it should cut a slight groove around the screw. Then you might be able to grab the top of the screw with a pair of vise grips. If not you can continue drilling until you can grab the screw with the pliers or drill a little at a time until the screw gets eazier to turn. Once its out just use the next size bigger screw. The extractor is pretty thin walled. Just my tip. Hope this helps. Good luck! Mike T

Roger
24th August 2007, 09:07 PM
Hi James,
Check out this answer to your broken Footstrap screw issue on the "Ask the Team" forum:
[url][http://www.star-board.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2520/url]