PDA

View Full Version : Kombat 79 vs 89

hermes
23rd August 2007, 10:27 PM
Please tell me differences about these two boards... with the same sail like 4.5 for a light rider like me (55kg) which one goes earlier to planing which one is faster (more freeride) , some details to know before i buy what i will find in this board... as i can
like wise i think about the small flare 88.. for flat water BUT i don't know what feeling these boards have.....
I want a board to use and in waves, early planing , good jibe,,easy
thanks
rita

Ola_H
23rd August 2007, 10:36 PM
At your weight, I don't think you will be planing any earlier with the 89 than with the 79. Only plus with the 89 is if your still in the beginning stages where a bigger platform can be good for balance etc. If you're comfortable planing, jibing and such things, the 79 is a better size, especially if you're taking it out in the waves.

The Flare 88 is nice too, but it in fact has a faster slalom rocker and while this is nice it makes it much less fun in the waves. Its a super early planer and it's still a good jiber but prefers a more drawn out and more powerful jibing style.

Jean-Marc
24th August 2007, 05:37 AM
Rita,
Agree with Ola : at your weight, a Kombat 79 is plenty enough up to a 6.0-6.2 sail size and 28 cm crossover fin. However, if you largest sail is 4.5, it's a bit big and would rather choose a small Pure Acid.

With my 65 kg, the Kombat 86 is at the higher limit with a 4.2 sail in +30 knots of wind. Still doable but greater fun on a small Acid for example.

Cheers !

JM

hermes
24th August 2007, 08:00 PM
ok so for flat conditions i could go for the 88 flare and for waves i could go for a acid...maybe
Thanks all of you

Ola_H
24th August 2007, 08:27 PM
Yeah, if you can have two boards, an Acid (68 or 74 depending on your level) and a Flare would work great. But despite that the Flares are very nice freeride boards, I wouldn't go for one unless freestyls was a focus area of mine.