PDA

View Full Version : Tushingham Thunderbird + Amex Raptor

Floyd
21st September 2007, 04:57 AM
Anybody tried this combination.Should work fine but mast seems stiff for T3.Certainly looks better and rigs more in line with brochure on Tushingham 45 ???
On Amex luff seems to go loose before tension fully appeared in luff sleeve ? (ie between marked area on guide)
Having said that not tried sailing with it yet ??!!
Downhaul tension seems higher on Amex ; which if they are both IMCS 25 it should n`t ???
Thanks

Floyd
21st September 2007, 05:01 AM
PS
Its a 460 Amex Raptor and a 7.0 Thunderbird.

Phill104
21st September 2007, 05:06 AM
Boards mag did a test of differnt brands masts is different sails and the results showed that not all masts are made equal.

It also sparked off a long debate. Tough reading especially if you don't know some of the more colourful characters involved:rolleyes:

http://www.boards.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14552&KW=mast+article&TPN=1

Floyd
21st September 2007, 04:33 PM
Hi
Thanks.
Worth reading. Forum seems more like this was used to !
Another argument for more objectivity.
Boards seem a bit optimistic thinking they can work out best sail settings in a couple of runs for each sail/mast combo.
Training sailors spend months.(years??) working it out.
Agree with original poster and some of findings of Boards.
My T3 looks loads better on Tush 45. If I downhaul to get correct luff tension (around 3rd batten down) leech opens up loads more on the Amex.Set leech abot correct and tension in luff is very high in sail ???Also sail displays loads more positive OH on Amex.
The Amex is a 350 mast; the Tush around 100. If I was going out today would take the Tush !!! (Its nearly a kilo heavier though)
Confused !!!
(Yesterday rigged sail on a 430/75% Wave mast(Again a Tush)IMCS is loads out (21 rather than 25)(according to specs) Used a 40cm ext. It looked great. !!!! (Nearly as good as Harty`s in video)
Think I`ll sell both 460`s. !!!