PDA

View Full Version : fixing my 4.1

windsurferdagg
17th October 2007, 06:39 AM
I have a sail that has a blown out panel. Its also torn in the non xply/monofilm section (the dacron?) at the luff. See attached picture.

I was just wondering w hat people recommend I fix it with. I am thinking tape the seam to keep somewhat the shape of the sail, then get a dacron patch or some sort of patch (what do people recommend?) and clean the tear up on the luff, then cut out a section of xply or something from an old sail and cover the panel, then sew around the edges and cut up the excess.

Any suggestions? I got this sail for free and want to make the most out of it. I am going to sail it hopfully this weekend in some small waves at sandbanks so tape won't do it I don't think...

thanks a lot,

Thomas

Joe
17th October 2007, 06:53 AM
You could try sail repair tape or better yet - tuck tape. Get it at any building supply store - it is red tape used to tape exterior house insulation. I've had good luck with it on monofilm and some luck on the luff material.
Don't be shy - put alot on and it will hold.

You can also try taping it up a bit and then put 2 stickers on either side of the tear - try to get some stickers at a graphic shop.

Tuck Tape - It looks ugly but it works.

Good luck!