PDA

View Full Version : isonic 2008. Ian-Remi

G
10th November 2007, 06:00 AM
Hallo guys,
as many times said in this forum I'm a happy owner of '07 isonic 111.
Don't want stay here talking about greatness of its shape,I just wonder if 111 '08 worth the price.
I sail the board with that powerfull mode that for all the season was here requested and no problem with but the only complaint about the board is that it seems to lack the 6th gear when it does need (I'm talking in racing point of view).
Do you think with '08 model I'll get this chance?
I've seen you've widened the tail of less 1 cm. I guess you should thin it as well.
What different ride I have to expect?
Another thing I don't understand is related to range.
You say that '07 and '08 have the same sail/wind range.
If so how do you achieve the same or better speed with a longer fin in the same size board?

G
10th November 2007, 02:20 PM
some more:

Is it possible to know the wind range of the 133 at around 82 kg?
When is it better switching for 111?Is it a wind issue or a water state issue?
Remi suggested 10-9-7,8-6,8 for these two boards and said that 9 can be used successfully in new 111 (I felt 7,8 the upper limit in '07).
If so,isn't the 6,8 too big for 111 or did it intend use it in 86?

thank you

Remi
10th November 2007, 03:55 PM
Hi G,

First my choice for next year is 133 111 86 and will cover from 10 to 5,6mē.

The new iSonic 111 change not only for what you mention, so you feel less heating the water and drive fast with and excellent control because the wet surface is less.

Yes the 9mē and 6,7 go well in this board. The fact is the lot of change we do accept really well the 9mē for speed in flat water and stable wind, when is more choppy and more instable wind I prefer to used this sail on the 133.

For the 6,7 same story excellent with the 111 in instable wind. I used it on the 86 when the wind is really stable and strong.

You are almost same weight as me so iSonic 133 with 9 and 10mē with 48 and 52 SL2 fins. You will never loose the planing in the new rules of PWA.

Hope this help

All the best

G
10th November 2007, 10:12 PM
Thank you Remi,
generally I've followed your advice and everything worked right!
Just coming back from a dramatic slalom session.
Wind cross-off.In the beginning it was a lot switching and gusty.I felt I was not right motored by my rs:r 7,8 and 111 so I've asked for a board change to my friend as he was a bit lazy.So I've started my session in full power mode sail and F2 L '07 with 42 fin.
I expected a huge speed difference in that light air (12-14) but,althought different sets up,it wasn't compared to my 111.After a while the wind increased to solid 18-22 gusty and things started to be interesting.The flat water (with some chop) gave me the confidence to push hard the fin but as the sail got to much wind inside the nose came up reducing confidence and speed.
Honestly I have to say the that wind requested a bit more downhaul and a few cm of outhaul but what here I'd like to advice is that isonic,maybe,doesn't make we feel the speed but it surely fast!
Wind increased a bit more (20-28) and I switched for my board.After some re-trim I showed everybody how sailing a 7,8 in that condition was possible (please remember we were in something like flat!).
My GPS wrote 35,2.
Then again wind decreased still a bit and I continued to enjoy the day....
I was thinking to chenge slalom board brand for that lack of feel so much adviced by other boards owner but,now,more than before,I'm sure to stay on board!
If new 111 will have the same range with a better light air attitude (for this kind of days) I'll be a Starboard fan for another season!

P.S. I continue to ask myself the reason of 75 cm wide one.I mean,if light air a wider board powered enough to make us fly (and Starboard surely warranties about control!),if a bit windy a mid size should be faster and easier.Am I wrong?

Remi
10th November 2007, 11:55 PM
Hi G,

Wich sails you will use this year to give you the right answer as possible.

Enjoy

All the best

G
11th November 2007, 06:06 AM
Remi,
as earlier said this season I sailed the 111 with NP RS:R 7,8 and Warp 6,8.
I'm still on hold for 2008 because I would see all brand releases.
Do you think that isonics suite North fine?
There's a lot of talk about that because it is considered a draft forward sail so that it should have less back hand (compared to Pryde) and,so,less chance to foil the board up and push right the fin.
What's your opinion on this?
If the new 111 has a wider tail,doesn't it need a bigger sail (in a given wind) to have the right balance and be really consistent?
I mean,if in 2007 I could use 7,8 in 15 kt,with the same wind in 2008,do I need to be in something bigger because of wider tail (so bigger fin!) ?

By the way,what about 162?
I'm a proud 161 owner.The board is so easy and fast that I really think it would be in the top next season.But I do want the max.....
What I have to expect by new one?
What do you have increased in 162?
Is it a REAL step ahed?
Does it sail freer compared to 161 or similar?
It was told me that downwind is better but upwind not so intuitive.True or false?
Any your advice about it will be welcome.

Thank you

Remi
11th November 2007, 04:22 PM
Hi G,

I never try the North on them but the Severne have also less back hand compare to the pryde, so must be ok.

You need the same sails as last year but we increase the ability of the board to handle bigger sails.

If you want to be the faster in FW the F162 will help you, and the part who we increase the most is the down wind. Due to the extra wide the board give you less sensation up wind but you will arrive first at the top mark compare to the F161.So must be excellent to have the 162 that you keep for 2 years with the new rule.

Hope this help

All the best