PDA

View Full Version : isonic or futura?

NIKOS-GR
21st November 2007, 07:19 PM
hi every one i need to now if is worth to change my carve 162 2007 model for a futura 155 or a isonic150 to get early planing i am 1,92 and 94 kilos and my sails is a v8(8m) and a naish stealth 9.6.the wind range is 8-12 knots most times but a few times is up to 16 knots the waves are flat some time but most of it is chop.my skil is medium.what is the best for my??

Remi
21st November 2007, 07:31 PM
Hi Nikos-Gr,

Before to answer, I would like to know if race or not?

All the best

NIKOS-GR
21st November 2007, 08:21 PM
Hi Nikos-Gr,

Before to answer, I would like to know if race or not?

All the best

hi remi ,not race just have a fun.

Remi
21st November 2007, 10:07 PM
Hi NIKOS-GR,

If you look for something very similar to your carve, the Futura will the choice with bit more speed.

If you look for the ultimate machine in slalom in light wind, go for the iSonic 150, she will work perfectly particulary with your bigger sail. You can also increase also his performances with even a bigger sail.

Hope this help

All the best

NIKOS-GR
22nd November 2007, 03:55 AM
Hi NIKOS-GR,

If you look for something very similar to your carve, the Futura will the choice with bit more speed.

If you look for the ultimate machine in slalom in light wind, go for the iSonic 150, she will work perfectly particulary with your bigger sail. You can also increase also his performances with even a bigger sail.

Hope this help

All the best
thanks for the help remi.i am stil wonder:for early planing futura or isonic??? thanks again.

NIKOS-GR
22nd November 2007, 09:29 PM
hi every one ,i mast buy a new sail (10m)for early planing.can any body tell me which one????

Remi
22nd November 2007, 10:34 PM
Hi NIKOS-GR,

The iSonic will plane earlier. For the sail their is plenty sails who work perfectly on it. Personaly I try the 9,8 RSR and the Code Red 10mē.

All the best

Remi
22nd November 2007, 10:36 PM
Hi NIKOS-GR,

If it's only for enjoy your self at afordable price, the Overdrive 10mē is and excelent choice with a 75% carbon mast.

All the best

NIKOS-GR
22nd November 2007, 10:57 PM
thanks for the help.

Jean-Marc
23rd November 2007, 06:21 PM
Nikos,

Is your new sail gonna replace your actual 9.6 sail or is it in addition to your 9.6 ? Are you keeping the Carve 162 and 9.6 sail or not ?

For your 94 kg and 8-12 knots wind range, I'd like to suggest you an 11.0 m2 sail to match your iSonic 150. The Overdrive 11.0 would be great if you want more power in the lower wind range; Code Red 11.0 for greater speed, stability and power in the upper wind range.

Cheers !

JM

NIKOS-GR
23rd November 2007, 09:05 PM
thanks remi and jean marc.first i will try a old isonic to see how is going.for sail i have a v8(8m)2007 model great sail for early planing,but the monofilm look so thin and i wonder if is strong on time?the 9.6 is for replase and lookin for a new 10m i have a 5,20 mast 75%carbon.what you suggest?(sorry for my English)

everaarts-trainingen
24th November 2007, 06:07 PM
You can also look for the RAMF8 9.9. Race-orientated but good handling and better low-end than the pure racesails.

Good luck
D

everaarts-trainingen
24th November 2007, 06:08 PM
Sorry,
North RAMF8

Jean-Marc
24th November 2007, 06:49 PM
the 9.6 is for replase and lookin for a new 10m i have a 5,20 mast 75%carbon.what you suggest?(sorry for my English)

Nikos,

With a 520 cm & 75% carbon mast, better go with the Overdrive (3 cams freerace sail) which is more "stranger" mast tolerant. Pure racing sails are extremely mast specific (bend curve, carbon content, diameter, etc...), so I would better avoid a bad match with your mast.

What is your boom maximal lenght (to choose between Overdrive 10 or 11 m2). Carbon or aluminum boom ?

Cheers !

JM

NIKOS-GR
24th November 2007, 07:17 PM
aluminium boom (220-270cm)

JJay
24th November 2007, 07:29 PM
Don't go with the overdrive! F-Ram is the way to go!

It will rig with 3 or 4 cams depending on your preferance. Deep profile for low end power, yet boliko stability, easy handling and almost race sail top speed potential. i have sailed most of the recent generation Warps, and can say that the F-Ram is as close to a user freindly race sail as you can get. The 75% carbon mast will work fine with the Ram.

stingray
25th November 2007, 03:34 AM
JJay,

Can you pls comment on the low-end of RamF8 9.9 (approximate minimum wind in knots and rider weight, pumpability of the sail)? And what mast is better 490+XT or 520?

Brgds,

Jean-Marc
25th November 2007, 05:22 AM
aluminium boom (220-270cm)

OK, then an Overdrive 10 m2 should be fine with quite a short boom lenght (249) that makes your boom probably stiff enough. If you want an Overdrive 11 m2 (boom lenght 264 cm), your boom is not long enough : only 6 cm left is too short to make it stiff enough, you'll need a longer and stiffer boom (better in carbon IMHO).

The North Ram F8 sails require quite a long boom without a dropped clew, however.

Cheers !

JM

falco7
26th November 2007, 05:31 PM
i nikos,
try 9,7 ac-2 point-7 is very easy and fast.
bye
Peppe

NIKOS-GR
27th November 2007, 02:15 AM
i nikos,
try 9,7 ac-2 point-7 is very easy and fast.
bye
Peppe

9,7 ac- point-7????what is thease,I dont now it.

NIKOS-GR
27th November 2007, 02:19 AM
thanks for the help every body.but what about rs slalom 10m???

JJay
27th November 2007, 12:56 PM
JJay,

Can you pls comment on the low-end of RamF8 9.9 (approximate minimum wind in knots and rider weight, pumpability of the sail)? And what mast is better 490+XT or 520?

Brgds,

Ok, now things get a little more complicated.

With variables such as, rider ability, technique, board type, volume, wind conditions, water conditions, fin types, mast and boom combinations, trim and tuning of sail, batten tensions, intended use, etc,,,,,, any comments I make can only be my impressions of "feel and performance" compared to other sails of similar size and design that I have sailed.

Compared to freerace sails such as previous generation Daytonas, Overdrives and V8's. The F-Ram 9.9 offers similar softness and planes as early as any of them. Similar in feel to the V8 with regards to low end power.

When rigged with 4 cams, and downhaul is tuned to the "max wind VTS" (visual trim system), it feels very similar to my Warps in terms of top end speed and response to gusts. Not quite as stable at the limit, but almost.

I have used the 9.9 Ram with a 75% 490 mast with the extender (3 cams) for light wind sailing on a SB Hybrid formula raceboard and an apollo. And for high wind Formula have been rigging it up on a 520 100% platinum mast (4 cams) while waiting delivery of my 2008 10m Warp. I always use adjustable out haul on all my sails, except wave sails. Releasing outhaul to pump easier onto plane. Then adding tension once locked-in on plane.

In response to min wind and pumpability. I feel that all my sails of similar size have the ability to plane as "early" as each other if i'm prepared to pump. "Easiest" or most "comfortable" pumping on to plane obviously happens when it is tuned accordingly. (least effort required as opposed to earlier or faster)=(VTS downhaul setting to MIN WIND, outhaul slightly bagged, 490 mast + extender, 3 cams)

Yes it requires less effort than a full on race sail, and slightly more than a freeride oriented sail. But how close you want it to either end of the spectrum comes down to tuning.

If you are the type of person who doesn't mind spending an extra 5 to 10 mins tuning your sail then the F-Ram really is like owning two sails in one.

Hope this helps.

Wishing for wind,
JJay

everaarts-trainingen
27th November 2007, 01:19 PM
JJay,

Brgds,

I only know the 9.0 RAMF8. The low-end and the stability was perfect. The hendling is much lighter and easier than the WARP 9.9. I now ordered the 9.9 to get even more low-end for the iSonic 150. I also weigh 95 kgs.

Good luck !
D

stingray
27th November 2007, 05:57 PM
Hi JJay and everaarts-trainingen!

Thanks for your comments! Much appreciated!

Brgds,

falco7
27th November 2007, 08:10 PM
www.point-7.com
this sail win all italy ,and the karpakos world speed.
this sails is great new sails.
look it.
bye

Racer
28th November 2007, 07:19 AM
I have used the Ram 9.9 quite a bit now. Mast is 520 Platinum and have not tried a 490 + extender.
I dont think the 9.9 has as much low end power as some other sails, particularly a V8

My own opinion is that this size sail should have more punch at the low end, maybe by increased low down profile.

It is however, fast and comfortable, easy to handle with stability close to a full on race sail in strong winds.

For absolute marginal wind, downhauling to the min setting is too much, a little less makes a big difference to early planning at the low end.

falco7
28th November 2007, 04:03 PM
the ac-0 or ac-2 can go with 490.
specilly in light wind,it's more easy to pump.
bye

NIKOS-GR
30th November 2007, 02:15 AM
can any body tell me:the rs slalom 10m works whith the 520 cm 75% carbon mast???

Jean-Marc
30th November 2007, 06:20 PM
I don't know but to be sure (same bend curve between X6 and your mast ?), try to ask Kevin Ozee here :

http://www.neilprydemaui.com/forum/phpBB2/

Cheers !

JM

falco7
30th November 2007, 08:22 PM
hi,
i think that every sail need his mast.

NIKOS-GR
4th December 2007, 10:30 PM
I don't know but to be sure (same bend curve between X6 and your mast ?), try to ask Kevin Ozee here :

http://www.neilprydemaui.com/forum/phpBB2/

Cheers !

JM
thanks a lot jean-Marc.I send them the Quastion and the answer is, it work

NIKOS-GR
6th December 2007, 02:42 PM
Aloha,

I think your mast would work equally well with either the RS Slalom or V8. Both models are designed to accommodate the X6 mast, which is 100% carbon in the 520cm size, but the reduced luff curve will accommodate lower carbon masts as well. Plus, with the Ultracams you can adjust the tension to fit your specific mast diameter.

NIKOS-GR
29th December 2007, 03:30 AM
hi every one' I wish you a happy and windy new year 2008

everaarts-trainingen
29th December 2007, 05:54 PM
Same for you Nikos