PDA

View Full Version : Formula 162

Ricko
22nd November 2007, 05:31 PM
When is the 162 available?

Remi
22nd November 2007, 07:43 PM
Hi Ricko,

It's already available, ask your distributor when they will get it. You can used it before january in National event only and International event from 1st January.

All the best

falco7
26th November 2007, 05:35 PM
it 's tru that we can use this board for 2 years????

Remi
26th November 2007, 06:18 PM
Hi Falco7,

The new board will register for 1st January 2010, so all the Formula boards 2008 will be the same until this date according to the news FW rules.

All the best

fin66
18th December 2007, 02:18 AM
Hello

I'm Wondering Why Steve Allan and some other guys as well used the old 160 instead of 161? What were the features they liked more in the old board?

And how have you resolved these problems in the new 162?

Personally I really liked the 161, won several races with that board

SeanAUS120
18th December 2007, 01:51 PM
Hi Fin66,

I wrote a post on this thread about Steve's choice of board in 2007:
http://www.star-board.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3057

Its a bit of a complicated reason and there was just as many people who did well this season on the 161 as the 160 as you no doubt are aware.

The 162's should hopefully arrive in Australia end of this week. So I haven't seen one in person to give any indication what they have changed compared to the previous FW boards.

There's a good post from Expander (http://www.star-board.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3135) where he's CAD drawn some of the shapes of the new boards alongside the '07 boards. If his drawings are in fact correct, it looks as though they've changed the nose shape considerably on the 162, which in Steve's case was a critical factor in using the 160 over the 161.

Steve just arrived in Australia over the weekend, and Jesper Vesterstrom next week, so we'll have some news of how the new boards go sometime in the next few weeks as we already have the new Gaastra and Exocet FW boards here to test against.

First event to check out all the boards in action will be our Australian FW Nationals/Oceanic Championships in late January (www.fw-australia.com).

Remi
18th December 2007, 05:10 PM
Hi All,

To increase the FW performance we change the outline, a bit wider in the nose and tail, but also nose thichness and change the rocker. At final we increase particulary the performance downwind and a bit up wind.

All the best

fin66
19th December 2007, 02:59 AM
Thanks Sean, I found the reports, It's nice to read reports from people that are not directly connected to a brand, you don't get negative feedback from someones one pages, because the new boards are always faster than the previous ones.
I look forward to the test agains Gaastra and Excocet nice to have something new around.
Isn't the Gaasta board a creation of Steve and Ross ?
Hopfully the testreport will be objective :)

SeanAUS120
8th January 2008, 04:15 PM
Hi Fin66,

If you are interested, I wrote a fairly detailed report about the new Gaastra FW board which you can see at http://www.carbonsugar.com. Steve did most of the development on this board, Ross didn't try any of the proto's I was told.

Heading down to Sydney this weekend for the first racing on the 162s and other new boards... will let you all know how it goes.

Expander
8th January 2008, 09:02 PM
--

Hi Sean,

really a greater idea what stays behind Carbonsugar.com philosophy.

Only a pair of remarks:

1) links don't highlight and work using Mozilla Firefox 1.5; they work perfectly with IE 6 instead.

2) Since you say to be a webdesigner, I hope you have adeguate scientific and mathematical background for an approach to C.A. Marchaj's book you show in Carbonsugar top banner... Or is it only choreographic? :)

SeanAUS120
9th January 2008, 10:30 AM
Hi Expander,

Eeek. A newbie mistake. I was just watching the layouts in the other browsers that I tested in (didn't bother to test the links!).

Actually, I have a background (and a degree) in pyschology and biomedical science - which probably doesn't help with understanding Marchaj! however I hang out a lot with my dad who's a mechanical engineer and likes to theorise about gear design/tuning. Guess a lot of his knowledge he has passed on to me but I still have a long way to go... I just find learning new things about the sport really interesting.

I must admit, first opening books like Marchaj was a bit like trying to read "Finnegans Wake", but there's so much quality information in them that if I only understood one sentence then I am already ahead. So to answer your question, they are not just in the banner for asthetic pleasure - they are all my own books in that photo and I have read all of them (to some extent) ...

Cheers!

turco
14th February 2008, 07:09 PM
What is correct setup for 162?

Remi
20th February 2008, 08:53 AM
Hi Turco,

We was testing the new R20 for the Formula 162, this fins is really soft and give a real good avantage up wind in angle particulary in choppy water and light wind. Down wind it's really confortable and go depper and faster.

Please notice that this fin work with the board flat, so need to adapt your style but the result is really something.

For the mast position : recomand one + or - it's depend of your sails.
Boom height : Eyes
Harness line : Long adjustable one
Phoststraps : all in the back and out side

For strong winds, I use the R13 soft rake + 6cm, the other option is the R17 soft rake + 8cm depend of your style or your weight.

Hope this help

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4229/deboichetr20pl3.th.jpg (http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=deboichetr20pl3.jpg)

All the best

G
20th February 2008, 03:19 PM
Hallo Remi,
like every season I'd like to follow your advice in this new one too but need some answer:

-what's the difference between the fin you suggest and r19s-- +8?

-if I would buy one of it continue to hold my r19s-- +8 when use one or other?

-worth hold my r19?

-what's up if light wind and flat water with r20?

-is it correct use r13 in rough water/strong wind and r17 in flat water/strong wind?

Thank you

Remi
20th February 2008, 05:32 PM
Hi G,

The new R20 is better over all compare to the R19. Each year we try to do better for our new board and this fin is really increase his performances. When is flat water the R19 is still in the game in up wind but as soon we go down wind, it glide much more with less physical demand. In choppy water just keep the board flat and you will have a better angle up wind and a really big difference down wind. For exemple we check this 2 fins ( R19 and R20) and down wind the GPS also register 3 knots difference in favour of the R20 with a better deep angle.

All the best

G
20th February 2008, 07:33 PM
thank you Remi,

what's the r20 stiffness and rake that need for 82 kg ?

Remi
21st February 2008, 09:23 AM
Hi G,

At this stage is was a protoype N°= 6 but the rake is + 7cm. It ' s far softer than the R19.

And right now I am exactly 82 kgs

All the best

konstas
25th February 2008, 05:48 PM
HI RENI
what's the r20 stiffness and rake that need for 68 kgs

Remi
25th February 2008, 06:14 PM
Hi Kontas,

This fins is really soft and less physical. So no problems for you to used it. Right now I am only using a prototype n°6.

All the best

Remi
2nd March 2008, 09:12 AM
Hi IOANNHS,

This for your information what I suggest for the Formula 162 :

Under 14 knots : R20 that will be available this month
Over 14 knots : R20
Over 20 knots : R13 soft rake + 6cm

Please note that the R20 work with the board flat and the results are really impressive particularly in down wind.

All the best

Acme
4th March 2008, 04:24 PM
Hello,

I would like to know what is the best position for the footstraps.

Thanks in advanced.

Hank
20th March 2008, 06:42 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the new R20 fin from Deboichet ?

I know Remi wrote about it being better than the R19 on the new 162.

I'd like to know how it is compared to the R19 on a 161 ?

Would the R20 be suitable on the 161 ?

Or is the R19 a better choice for this board ?

Best regards Hank

Thomas
20th March 2008, 07:59 PM
Hi,

and my question is what happens if you rail the board downwind with R20 like we use to do with our current fins,this however is the only way to accelerate fast in the gusts and keep the wetted surface as small as possible.
I was a owner of a rather much to stiff R19 and before ordering R20 i have another couple of questions,for example is it possible to measure the bending of R20 compare to R19?

Maybe connected to the board and load the tip with a certain weight?

If itīs not possible zu evince a R20 is much more softer than R19 we will for sure order none this time.

Thankīs in advance and kind regards,Thomas

Hank
24th March 2008, 07:35 AM
No one who has any feedback on the fins and boards ?

Remi
24th March 2008, 02:33 PM
Hi Thomas and Hank,

The R20 is much softer than any of Deboichet fins you get until now. For exemple is softer than a R13 Soft --.

By the way the R19 was wining the Formula Windsurfing European with Julien Quentel and still his favorite one for light wind and flat water.

All the best

Hank
24th March 2008, 05:51 PM
Remi thanks for the info, have 2 additional questions.

For a 79 kilo windsurfer:

Would the R20 be suitable on the 161 ?

Or is the R19 still a better choice for this board ?

Thomas
24th March 2008, 09:13 PM
Dear Remi,thank you very much for answering.

I wonīt take part in any rumours and speculations but I would bet a few cents that Juliens R19 is a lot different compared to what a normal human customer gets from Deboichet.
We had three R19 and all have been a lot to stiff,driven hard upwind always very prone for unexpected spin out,no matter on the trim.

My experience related to formula fins tells me that a fins that is not capable of taking the extra load when railed up downwind has a bad torsional stiffness and twists a lot when railed what slows you down and/or makes it hard to keep the deepest angle without loosing speed.

Letīs wait and see,kind regards,Thomas

Remi
25th March 2008, 09:48 AM
Hi Thomas and Hank,

You know each racer have his own style, for exemple the Julien R19 was really stiff and full production one and like it in light wind. Wojtek was using R13 hard ++ rake + 10cm in light wind. Other racers prefer extremelly soft fin in the same condition like the R13 soft -- or the R17 soft. The new R20 have a new profil and more softer than any fins that Deboichet make until now. It's another style but can learn after one hour. The new profil give you power and the softness confort and speed.

The new R20 work well also on the F161, not the same style as the R19. I prefer the the R19 in flat water and the R20 in choppy water.

Hope this help.

All the best

Thomas
25th March 2008, 06:03 PM
Dear Remi,

thankīs a lot again for answering.

Unfortunately I get no response these days from Oriana concerning the date the R20 can be ordered.

How is your knowledge about this one?

Kind regards,Thomas

Hank
26th March 2008, 06:16 AM
Hi again Remi.

Thanks for your answers to all the questions.

I do have one more question though, you wrote that "R20 work with the board flat" - this applies for the 162. Would it be the same for the 161 that you need to sail more flat ?

Remi
27th March 2008, 07:15 PM
Hi Thomas,

It's the season strat and Oriana is over work, so be patient she answer with some delay.

All the best

Remi
27th March 2008, 07:16 PM
Hi Hank,

Yes it's another style even on the F161.

All the best

Hank
27th March 2008, 11:54 PM
Thanks Remi for your replies and help.

fin66
15th April 2008, 02:10 AM
Heard rumors that there will be NO R20 available because the seem to break all the time.
Is that true ?

Remi
17th April 2008, 09:40 PM
Hi Fin 66,

I have mine since january ans still perfect.

All the best