PDA

View Full Version : Successor of Acid 62?

ignoramus
25th December 2007, 09:08 PM
Hi all
I'm sailing the Acid 62 for years and I'm still very happy with it. But it's old and I think it will 'die' soon.
But which board is it's successor? Is it the EVO 62 (same volume, but different line) or the PA 68 (same line, but different volume) ? Which one is closer to the old Acid 62?

I'm 60 kilo's, sailing in sideshore wave conditions with sails from 4.5 to 5 and
wave heights from 1m to 5m (:rolleyes:)

Thanks for help

Ola_H
28th December 2007, 06:46 AM
Well, size wise, the EVO 62 is successor, but it is a very different board. Nice, but different from your A62. f you're looking for something closer to what you have now, I would take a look a the Pure Acid 68. Its a bit bigger in volume, but still a very compact feeling board and I don't think you will find it lacking in bigger waves.

davide
1st January 2008, 09:58 PM
Hi all
I'm sailing the Acid 62 for years and I'm still very happy with it. But it's old and I think it will 'die' soon.
But which board is it's successor? Is it the EVO 62 (same volume, but different line) or the PA 68 (same line, but different volume) ? Which one is closer to the old Acid 62?

I'm 60 kilo's, sailing in sideshore wave conditions with sails from 4.5 to 5 and
wave heights from 1m to 5m (:rolleyes:)

Thanks for help

Not to sway away from starboards but I recently got an Angulo Chango 65 to complement my Acid 2007 74 and it is a very nice small high wind board. Nice narrow width (51 cm), combined with very slightly wider tail (32 one foot of), short length (242), very light. (A bit of fresh air away from this rush to wider and wider and wider and wider boards.) The season is dead right now in San Francisco and I only used it once in powered 4.5-4.7 conditions but I was very impressed: for my weight of 68Kg it worked great.

If you are in north america you can get one at half price at http://www.windance.com/default.asp?windance~Searchitems~&SearchString=angulo%20chango

carvesalot
2nd January 2008, 01:52 AM
Thanks for the advise on the Angulo, I'm looking at the Acid but this gives me another option.

Jean-Marc
18th January 2008, 05:22 AM
PA68 is closer to Acid 62 than Evo62 in how to drive it and how it feels underfoot. Evo62 is a very different animal for sure than Acid 62. Volume only is misleading; shape is key IMHO. I just love the narrow width and tail of Acid62 for my lightish 65 kg weight. That of Evo 62 makes it kind of a bumpy ride for hardcore freeriding in nasty chop. PA68 narrow width and tail should be nicer for a 60 kg rider in serious chop.

Cheers !

JM

merryfrankster
18th January 2008, 02:04 PM
I'm 66 kg and have two Acids: 62 wood, and 66 DRAM. Like you, I sail sideshore, mellow to good size, 4.0 to 5.0. It doesn't make sense to me that *board has stopped making boards of this size. A 68-liter board in my favorite conditions or in any kind of serious chop would seem... scary. If both my boards were lost and I had to buy another one today, I would get a Quatro 63.

Ola_H
18th January 2008, 03:44 PM
Boujmaa is very light. He uses both the E62 and the PA68 now, but maybe some new small boards will be developed together with him. I know he works on the E62 (and has been for some years) but I don't know what his visions are for other types of boards.

But again, the PA 68 is a really good boards. I have a friend at 65kg or something that loves it. Also in 3.5 conditions. I would personally choose the 68 over both the A62 and A66.

davide
19th January 2008, 02:23 PM
I'm 66 kg and have two Acids: 62 wood, and 66 DRAM. Like you, I sail sideshore, mellow to good size, 4.0 to 5.0. It doesn't make sense to me that *board has stopped making boards of this size. A 68-liter board in my favorite conditions or in any kind of serious chop would seem... scary. If both my boards were lost and I had to buy another one today, I would get a Quatro 63.
At some point in these pages the rumor was that the Acid 74 (an abundant "big nose" 74 liters, 54.5 wide and almost 34 tail) was good for 4.0 and below for a sub-70Kg sailor. I got quite scared indeed when I tried it.

... I am glad to hear sailors that are actually concerned about an Acid 68 (not 74!!!!!) in those conditions. In my opinion for an expert level (non-pro) lightweight when things get rough a sub-52 wide (narrow, please!) sub 70L board is quite a must ... the acid 68 might still be too big (but I never tried it) and that is why (better safe then sorry) I picked a smaller high-wind board

ignoramus
20th January 2008, 09:31 PM
.. the acid 68 might still be too big (but I never tried it) and that is why (better safe then sorry) I picked a smaller high-wind board
That's exactely i'm afraid of. 68 is 10% more than the 62. That's like changing from a 74 Acid to a 80 :eek: !
So maybe best is to repaire my loved Acid 62 and wait for a new 'real small' board of *board.....:(

Ola_H
20th January 2008, 10:06 PM
Ignoramus and others. Just a thought: I sailed the EVO 62 yesterday in 3.5-4.2 sail size winds. It was choppy and onshore waves up to maybe 3m. As, I've noted many times before, the EVO 62 is really perfect in these conditions. The compactness makes it handle high winds gusts and chop exceptionally well and the "EVO-style" makes it much easier to ride frontside and hit the lip in the kind of onshore conditions than a "classic" wave board.

For anyone that likes a classic feel and rides predominantly big fast and clean wave, the E62 might be a less interesting option, but if you're light and are in "real world" high wind conditions, the EVO 62 is actually an amazing board.

Just as a reminder....

Mag
21st January 2008, 01:47 AM
Hi!
I have a A68 since 1,5 years and I use it with 3,5 - 5,0 in all conditions, both in Sweden and abroad. It is an exellent board for lightweights (63kg), floaty if you need that and very good in high wind also. It edges very nice when you are commited even in nasty chop. I use 3 different fins 21, 22 and 23 depending on conditions and sail size.
I have tried the E62 once in onshore 5,0 and it is a completely different board. Very nice and skateboardish, turn on a dime and keeps speed very well. Easier to make smaller turns than the A68 but I would not want this board instead as a high wind travel everywhere board.

I haven't tried the A62 so I can not compare this but the A68 comes highly recommended from me!! I sailed it yesterday with 4,2 in Sweden.
Magnus

merryfrankster
29th January 2008, 03:26 PM
I hit a turtle going full speed on my A66 the other day. The sun reflecting on the water made it invisible, and I was focused on making the drop, rather than scanning for obstacles. It was a baby turtle, aaargh, I felt terrible! Usually I manage to avoid turtles, but not this time. The fin took the hit, and, even though the box is still in, the board has been taking on water, it has gained more than one kilo... So my A66 is toast. Therefore, I am just going to have to get better at riding my A62 in all conditions. However, when the A62 goes, then what... Starboard, "can this really be the end..." A sad day, indeed...

Ola_H
29th January 2008, 10:16 PM
Ouch. And a little ouch for the board too.But as a complement to the A62, the PA68 must surely work. It is after all not only a different design, but also has some five years of new shaper insights built into it compared with the A66. See Mag's comment above. He used his board last friday when we had up to over 40 knots wind in Sweden. I was, as usual, on the EVO62. Lots of white water:

http://www.surfzone.se/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32606&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1201286804

(I hope photographer Gurra don't mind the hotlinking from the Swedish forum)