PDA

View Full Version : Futura 101, wood vs. technora

sturle
2nd February 2008, 05:40 PM
Hi.
If I was blindfolded and could not know if I sailed on a Futura 101 wood or technora. How could I notice which board I was sailing on? Could I experience a difference in performance/speed ? Could anyone easy say which board you are on? I have ordered the futura 101 wood, but now they only have the technora available. Another question: My weight is 80 kg. I will use Severne overdrive 6.5 and 7.5. Is 101 the best size for me, or should I look at the 111? And another important question. Would the s-type 115 be faster than the futura 101/111 with the given sails?

Sturle

Ola_H
5th February 2008, 06:18 PM
Check this post by Ian:

http://www.star-board.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3342

Cheers,

Ian Fox
5th February 2008, 06:57 PM
Hi Sturle,

Most experienced riders would feel a difference in the blindfold test.
(thanks Ola, to save the re-typing on this)

As for the size choice, you could very well take the Futura111, especially if you will often be on 7.5m. For 6.5m/7.5m OverDrive (grunty powerful sails) the sweetspot Futura size is definitely 111 rather than 101. 101 is a valid choice, but be aware that the 7.5m OD really will have you at the upper (sail size) sweetspot limit- still sailable but not as sweet as 111.

ST115 vs Futura111 - "Fastest" is always subjective or influenced by too many variables.. Top speed when both fully lit in open water conditions is pretty even but I would say advantage Futura111 due to EASE of speed over a wider range, bottom end (plus general all round nature) and (maybe suprisngly) better sail/power match to OD 7.5m.

Cheers ~ Ian

Shayne
26th February 2008, 07:39 PM
Hi Sturle,

As for the size choice, you could very well take the Futura111, especially if you will often be on 7.5m. For 6.5m/7.5m OverDrive (grunty powerful sails) the sweetspot Futura size is definitely 111 rather than 101. 101 is a valid choice, but be aware that the 7.5m OD really will have you at the upper (sail size) sweetspot limit- still sailable but not as sweet as 111.

Cheers ~ Ian

Hi Ian,

This question, and your reply is really interesting to me because I am considering the same boards for use with a 7.5 . The difference is though, I am only 66 kg, so I have been wondering about the relationship between rider weight - sail size - and board volume ?
Are the recommended sail sizes for boards based on an average sized rider ?
For instance, would a 7.5 be closer to the sweetspot on the F101 if it was being ridden by a 66 kg sailor rather than 80 kg ?

Thanks,
Shayne

Ian Fox
27th February 2008, 01:02 PM
Hi Shayne,

Q1= Are the recommended sail sizes for boards based on an average sized rider ?
A1= They are based on an "average" of various rider weights feedbacks/preferences.
So yes, in a roundabout way, they are averaged between the preferences of 60-90kg test riders, but you could consider them more aligned to "typical" use by (average) 70-80kg riders.

Q2= ...would a 7.5 be closer to the sweetspot on the F101 if it was being ridden by a 66 kg sailor rather than 80 kg ?
A2= Yes. Marginally. The extra reserve of size (planing area and volume) afforded by a lighter rider weight allows a (given sized) board to effectively carry more static and dynamic load/weight (from the bigger rig) so the max sail size (range) can be seen to increase marginally on a given board as the rider gets lighter.

With a 66kg rider, the Futura101 would be further into the sweetspot range with a 7.5m than with a heavier 80-90kg rider. Also, by using a lighter (dynamic, more than static) weight sail @ 7.5m will further optimise things..
(OverDrive is a pretty grunty sail, in powered use it can tend to load a board even more [for a given size} than some "lighter"[..less grunty] alternates )

Cheers ~ Ian

sturle
10th April 2008, 08:24 PM
Hi,
I ended up with the Futura 111 wood. I have only used it one time. I'm really satisfied! Put on the Severne overdrive 6.5. I was nearly overpowered. My question is, should I buy a smaller fin to use with 6.5 in overpowered conditions ? Maybe a 36 or 34 ?