PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Hawaii windsurf access...

Unregistered
15th February 2008, 08:54 AM
Dear Sailors & Industry Members,

The STATE of HAWAII is proposing a bill will kill the windsurf business and could shut down sailing from our beaches, private land or public!

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2008/bills/SB2091_.htm

Please write a simple e-mail stating you do not agree with this and send it to:
Committee on Water & Land <testimony@capitol.hawaii.gov>

Please indicate to which committee the testimony is being submitted and the date and time of the hearing. Email sent to individual offices or any other Senate office will not be accepted.

Address your email
Re : Ocean Recreation; Sailboards S.B. NO. 2091
COMMITTEE ON WATER AND LAND
DATE: Friday, February 15, 2008 2:45 p.m.

MUST BE SUBMITTED BEFORE 2.45 Friday US PACIFIC TIME

Best Regards,
Professional Windsurfers Association
info@pwaworldtour.com
http://www.pwaworldtour.com

Copy of Jimmy Diaz letter to Committee on Water & Land
<testimony@capitol.hawaii.gov>
COMMITTEE ON WATER AND LAND
DATE: Friday, February 15, 2008
TIME: 2:45 p.m.

To Whom it may concern,

On behalf of the Professional Windsurfers Association, I would like to say
we oppose the passage of this bill.

This bill would greatly affect in a negative way a very active windsurfing
industry that has a significant economic impact on the state of Hawaii.
This impact is not only in the form of tourism, but also in the form of
businesses that have established Hawaii as a focal point of research and
development, training, retail, rental, and image capturing for the sport of
windsurfing. All of these businesses help perpetuate Hawaii as a tourist
destination to millions worldwide.

On behalf of the members of the Professional Windsurfers Association, I ask
you to vote against this bill.

Sincerely,

Jimmy Diaz
President - Professional Windsurfers Association

P.O. Box 791656
Paia, HI 96779
Tel. (808) 283 4628

Unregistered
15th February 2008, 09:31 AM
We own it.....

HGA

Unregistered
15th February 2008, 12:50 PM
For anyone needing ideas, here's what I wrote - please write, even if you think it's too late.

To: testimony@capitol.hawaii.gov
Subject: Testimony to bill SB 2091 COMMITTEE ON WATER AND LAND hearing of Friday February 15, 2008 2.45pm

To the State Legislature of Hawaii,

I am a resident of the state of Hawaii, writing to voice concern over SB 2091, Relating to Sailboards.

Passage of the bill as presented would mean elimination of sailboarding from virtually all Hawaiian waters where it is currently practiced, with grave consequences to individual freedom and to economic vitality.

Sailboarding and kitesurfing are practiced at a select number of suitable locations, for example, Kanaha Beach Park, in Maui County, and Ho'okipa Beach Park, also in Maui County. These locations present appropriate conditions of wind, waves, and access, that permit the safe and proper practice of these sports.

The majority of sailboarding activity in Hawaii takes place within a very concentrated area of just a few hundred feet, at just a few select locations like the ones mentioned. There are no other alternate areas available which present the proper conditions for practice of the sport.

In these locations, voluntary self-regulation and County Statutes are already in force to ensure that the waters are shared in a safe and harmonious way with other recreational users.

Passage of the bill would mean that the presence of just a single swimmer or surfer within 200 feet of these areas would require cessation of all windsurfing activity. This makes the proposed law unfairly restrictive and discriminatory.

As an added downfall, the law would have significant economic consequences, especially in Maui County, where windsurfing tourism and the windsurfing manufacturing and retail industries account for millions of dollars of annual revenue to the State and County. Restriction of windsurfing as per the bill would mean a decline in these revenues.

Please reject this bill, as its consequences are damaging and harmful.

Thank you for your consideration.

Name
Address

steveC
15th February 2008, 02:50 PM
200 feet. That kind of distance from anything is unquestionably huge. Truly, advocating that kind of distance between folks is absolutely ridiculous. If it applied to highways, there couldn't be anyone on the road. What a joke.

I can honestly say that what the State of Hawaii is considering is total nonsense. I'm not willing to consider vacationing in an area so foolish and stupid, no matter how good conditions might be.

I've spent thousands of dollars in the 14 trips that I've taken to Kauai, Maui and Oahu since 1972. If these folks want to cut off my type of tourist business, I'm fully ready to dump them. Why would anybody want to vacation and spent money in spot where they want to harrass you and make you a criminal?

As a citizen of the US, frankly, I'm embarrassed.

matt12
15th February 2008, 03:58 PM
No way guys ... that is gotta be a wind-up. They can't really be serious.

In any case, a kiteboard is smaller than a surfboard and a windsurfing board is not too much different either. What about catamarans and yachts?

No way I believe that crap, so this is what I wrote ....

Dear Sir/Madam,

It is with complete amazement that I read S.B. No. 2091.

It makes little sense when:
- surfboards are larger than kiteboards
- windsurfing boards are comparable in size to surfboards
- there is no mention of yachts and catamarans

Surely when there are 100 windsurfers out on the water, if one bikini babe drops in the water to cool down, then all windsurfers must immediately leave the water.

I am guessing this is a hoax bill and fake email address so I won't waste any more of my time.

Kind rgds,

Unregistered
15th February 2008, 05:08 PM
If you've any doubt about this being so unreal that it's bogus,
then just cruise over to the Hawaii State Legislature website
http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/
and assure yourself it's totally (sur) real..

Remember HI time is well behind most of the world,
so Friday 2.45PM deadline is still a good few hours away.

Can't say I'd desire being smacked in the face by a 14 lb waveboard,
but come to think of it it's probably less damaging than being smacked
between the eyes by a wave driven runaway 14' (114lb) super tanker..
(swum around Waikiki or D-Head lately ??)

Then there's the issue of State liability :

(imagine) "3 Windsurfers drown and 24 more were injured today at Ho'okipa Beach park in Maui County.
Witnesses report that all windsurfers were sailing safely until a lone surfer entered and remained in the water near the traditional windsurfer launch zone. With State legislation banning windsurfers from coming with 200Ft of swimmers or surfers, most windsurfers were forced to wait outside in mast high waves as the wind faded away, resulting in serious and now fatal injury as many were smashed onto the rocky shoreline as they were swept downwind, unable to safely or legally return to their original launch. Those who failed to comply with SB2091 and came ashore breaching the swimmer/surfer exclusion zone saved themselves and equipment from certain damage or destruction, but were immediately apprehended by Maui County Police, who seized equipment and cited the sailors, while assuring onlookers that they were not there to discuss the rules, only enforce them."

(sounds far fetched..yeah, right..)

mmoritz
15th February 2008, 08:24 PM
Clearly a case that PWA and PKWA should join forces along with industry (boards, sails, magazines, etc) but also turism, restaurants, shops, etc. and talk to local government .... What is the position of our legends? They need to act too.

Unregistered
16th February 2008, 03:07 AM
We own it.....

HGA

And there you have it.
The official quote from the real reason this is happening.
The HGA thugs strike again.

matt12
16th February 2008, 04:42 AM
What is HGA?

Bill
16th February 2008, 05:22 AM
What is HGA?

Maybe:- Hookipa Grommet Association.

matt21
16th February 2008, 05:47 AM

WTF is that?

Unregistered
16th February 2008, 06:13 AM

Its the HOMO GROMMMET ASSOCIATION.

A group of young drug abusers who break into cars at HOOKIPA and haras sailors at every turn. I think they are the womens auxiliary to Da Hui.

;)

Unregistered
16th February 2008, 07:06 AM
Consider:

1) Surfers on a wave are just as cabable of inflicting serious injury on another surfer just as a windsurfer could.

2) There is a greater chance of a surfer on a wave colliding with another surfer since there are a lot more surfers closer together than there are surfers and windsurfers close to each other.

3) Fast moving surfers on a wave often come within feet or even inches of other surfers paddling out, yet there is no law against this. But wait...... there should be a law against this if this bill is about safety. (which it isn't.) Nontheless, under this bill windsurfers are expected to stay more than half a football field away, while surfers come within inches of colliding with each other.

4) There are already posted rules in favor of surfers even without this bill.

Unregistered
16th February 2008, 08:58 AM
The Bill has been deferred!

According to Sen. Clayton Hee during this afternoon's Senate Committee hearing, there has been "an extraordinary amount of testimony in opposition to the bill", and the Senator who submitted the legislation requested the bill be deferred so "they can work on it".

A big Mahalo to everyone who took the time to email, phone or visit the committee members. Nice to know the system can actually work if we all get involved.

Unregistered
16th February 2008, 12:49 PM
The Bill has been deferred!

According to Sen. Clayton Hee during this afternoon's Senate Committee hearing, there has been "an extraordinary amount of testimony in opposition to the bill", and the Senator who submitted the legislation requested the bill be deferred so "they can work on it".

A big Mahalo to everyone who took the time to email, phone or visit the committee members. Nice to know the system can actually work if we all get involved.

"they can work on it."

"they" meaning "we."

http://hookipagrom.com/

"You flew here. We grew here."

"Aloha. Now GTFO."

geo
16th February 2008, 06:46 PM
I suspect this story is somewhat related to kiteboarding. Or at least, here in Italy we are experiencing progressive restrictions to sailing freedom since the kiteboarding boom, due to the high number of accidents related to that sport. Unfortunately, rules don't make differences between kiteboarding and relatively safer windsurfing.

By the way, maybe this time the windsurfing industry will understand that a major threat to our sport is due to restrictions to beach and water access. In places like Maui there were little restrictions if any, so maybe this was unnoticed by the big companies based there; but in places like here, this is a real problem. Unfortunately, most windsurfers' individualist nature makes it difficult for us to act collectively; so I guess that it's also up to the companies to do something to defend their business. Hopefully this story will make something change.

Unregistered
17th February 2008, 12:16 AM
Anyone know who the sponser of this bill was?

steveC
17th February 2008, 12:55 AM
From what I've read, the bill was introduced by Senator Les Ihar.

Unregistered
17th February 2008, 01:21 AM
"they can work on it."

"they" meaning "we."

"You flew here. We grew here."

"Aloha. Now GTFO."

Is it true that HGA is still stucking the cocks of Da Hui. Yea, I thought so. They own you. Get yer knee pads ready grommets.

LennyBruce
17th February 2008, 01:25 AM
Yea, the HGA are a bunch of pussies. They talk alot of shit and try to stir stuff up but they run away like little girls when you bring it to them. Then they hide behind their skirts if you bring them the fight.

Good luck starting a clothing company. It will be fun to watch it fail. It takes more than a bunch of ice heads to actually get a business going and make some money.

Peace out.

Philip
17th February 2008, 02:36 PM
Posts 19 and 20 do not reflect well on WS nor the usual literate standard of commentary on this Forum. Their commentary would only weaken the cause.

Unregistered
17th February 2008, 04:49 PM
Posts 19 and 20 do not reflect well on WS nor the usual literate standard of commentary on this Forum. Their commentary would only weaken the cause.

If you actually lived on Maui you would understand what the HGA is about. Until you can speak from a place of knowledge, shut the hell up. Unless , of course you condone the assuault on tourists, the selling of drugs to the kids who surf pavilians, and the general mayhem these punks stir up. Their behavior doesn reflect well on surfing nor any part of being on Maui. You, on the other hand reflect poorly on yourself because you speak before you know. Good luck with that.

kimax
17th February 2008, 10:35 PM
"To Whom it may concern,

First I thought that this bill was a joke. But seems like it is not.

I was going to spend my vocation on Maui (income for the island!). But now I have to cancel it and tell to all my friends that Maui is no any longer a paradise... =(

This is a nonsense that minority group of surfers are able to adjust laws.

Regards, Maxim Kim, Finland"

Unregistered
17th February 2008, 11:46 PM
First of all, Mr. "Unregistered" user,

Why don't you register yourself and refrain from using profanity?

You do reflect poorly on all windsurfers in our moment of solidarity. All of us "watermen" need to come to terms that we all share the same beautiful locales on Maui. We should organize a Hui of all watermen. HGA included.

Unregistered
18th February 2008, 01:10 AM
Hopefully there are a few sailors who are investigating this Senator Les Ihar.

Finding out his agenda, will undoubtably lead to the ultimate problem and who's sending him the MONEY!

Is he a good old boy, or a newbee with some ties to local surfers?

Old man from the sea
18th February 2008, 04:14 AM
Sorry, I didnt realize this is the Oxford Forum of Windsurfing. So sorry my salty language isnt up to your taste. Do come to Maui, do try to surf hookipa and report back to us how it all went. Send HGA our regards.

The sponsor of this bill is the ex-head of the democratic party here in Hawaii and is in the "old boy network" all the way. He is a senator who doesnt like anything that doesnt have to do with his agenda. If he had his way he would cancel all flights into Hawaii, close down the hotels, and tell all you guys f*** off. Cancel windsurfing, kiting, and just any other ocean uses except for his sacred cows. Oops, scuse my salty language again.

Do try to get informed on the topics before you speak. Is that so hard? There is no solidarity with HGA, unless you approve of their agenda. Very sad cause HGA wants you OUT. They will break into your car while your surfing and steal your stuff, they will sell ice to your little brother when you turn your back, and they will get their gang together and kick your ass when get back onto the beach. I didnt realize you guys are supporting this activity. So, nice job supporting the goog guys. Way to gooooo. Why dont you stand up and be a man instead of hiking up your skirts and holding hands with the HGA singing kumbaya.

Unregistered
18th February 2008, 04:30 AM
" Why dont you stand up and be a man instead of hiking up your skirts and holding hands with the HGA singing kumbaya."

That was rich! I snorted coffee out my nose reading that...

But, please learn tolerance. HGA are humans too. Maybe they need a little understanding? Help in overcoming drugs and crime?

Unregistered
18th February 2008, 06:28 PM
Like the "old man from the sea"

we want your money, Not you.

If that is the way
after the tourism goes
It is back to sugar cane business.

Unregistered
19th February 2008, 12:53 AM
Hookipa taliban, these grommits dont get it, most of us come to maui , sail, kite, surf for a week or two and leave,
they are just making a case of reverse discimination against them better.
and it wont go anywhere
hate and misunderstanding has never helped anybody. look at the history of the world. It happened a thousand years ago, it still goes on.
groms just look at people like the taliban, do you like what byou see?

as to this les ahar and his policies , if true, remember agendas like his dont work for the little guys he will sit pretty while others suffer for his agenda.
Politicians like that sell you a bill of goods then ask you why your are angry and broke and say you wanted it .
he came damn close to to slipping this bill in under the door under the cover of darkness.

P.S. dont worry in 50 years the tourist industry will be "hollowed out like a gourd" when fuel costs are 50 times what they are now. then the occasional windrigger will come calling, you may not see it as the walk to kahului harbour will be too long and you grom will be too old. thinking about the good old days.

Unregistered
19th February 2008, 02:34 AM
This was posted elsewhere - it deserves reposting here too:

I wrote before that this bill is all about kitesurfers being dicks at Kailua and Diamond Head, and guess what, I was proven correct.

Now, I find it very ironic that kitesurfers all of a sudden want to "unite" with windsurfers, in order to protect themselves from the consequences of their own disrespect and disregard for others.

Windsurfing has worked hard to establish itself as a respectable sport with roots in the community. Windsurfing has paid its dues when it comes to access in Hawaii and elsewhere. Why in the heck would windsurfing want to "unite" itself with kitesurfing, a sport perceived as being practiced by a bunch of sociopathic hooligans hellbent on destroying themselves and everything and everybody else around them?

Kitesurfing is nothing but a boat anchor working as hard as it can to drag windsurfing to the bottom - and this bill proves it. In the public eye, the distinction between windsurfing and kitesurfing has become blurred.

What windsurfing really needs to do is to establish in the public perception a strong differentiation versus kitesurfing.

The public at large and the legislature both need to be made aware that windsurfing is NOT kitesurfing - the two are DIFFERENT in terms of equipment, in terms of demographics, in terms of safety, and in terms of impact.

And that, my friends, is the best and surest way for windsurfers to preserve access for their sport - NOT by blurring the differentiation with kitesurfing, but by reinforcing it.

Kitesurfers, dig your own grave, but please, don't ask us to lie in it with you.

Unregistered
19th February 2008, 02:39 AM
The HGA doesn't even have a pot to piss in, let alone the influence to introduce a bill into the State Legislature. Why is anyone even bothering with discussing the HGA?

Unregistered
19th February 2008, 03:38 AM
"The HGA doesn't even have a pot to piss in, let alone the influence to introduce a bill into the State Legislature. Why is anyone even bothering with discussing the HGA?"

Not true. Lot of those punks have folks dialed in with the "old boy" network. Parents, relatives that work in government. I've heard it from the source.

steveC
19th February 2008, 03:41 AM
Poster 30 raises a pertinent point.

While it's not my intent to rifle against kiters here, it's important to note the fact that many folks don't necessarily understand the differences between windsurfing and kiting. I know that seems hard to believe, but I often run into normal folks passing by on their stroll at the beach, and from their questions it has become quite apparent that many readily confuse the two sports. Much of this is because it might be the first time they have seen the two sports and the equipment, and they're so removed that it's hard for them to piece together the clear differences. Of course, many do understand the differences, but what worries me are those that don't.

If the root of the proposed ordinance was principally due to problems with kiting activities and related problems, one wonders why windsurfing has been thrown in the mix. Windsurfing has been around for many years, and I think that there have been few, if any, problems with the average citizen. The only rub might be with surfers, not because of accidents, but due to the issue of sharing the waves. But still, at least in my opinion, windsurfing and surfing have been able to coexist reasonably well over the years.

However, with kiting, I noted that the significant potential for conflict with the surfers, as the total area in the surf that a kiter can cover and dominate is much much greater. I think that many kiters understand the narrow line they're walking with surfers, but quite possibly some don't. Really, all it takes is one or two bad apples to spoil everything.

Overall, I have to agree with Poster 30 regarding the importance of maintaining the differences between windsurfing and kiting, especially with respect to the perception of normal folks.

BobD
19th February 2008, 03:55 AM
That people confuse kitesurfing and windsurfing? You really don't give the average Joe a lot of credit. Kitesurfing is a KITE and windsurfing is a sail. Not much confusion.

All watermen need to unify as someone else suggested. What if one day, SURFERS become the scapegoat of the day. They'll come crying to us and vice versa. We need a meeting with kitesurfers, surfers (yes, even HGA), jetskiers in one quorom to voice our single right to the ocean.

How bout it?

Unregistered
19th February 2008, 04:09 AM
"The HGA doesn't even have a pot to piss in, let alone the influence to introduce a bill into the State Legislature. Why is anyone even bothering with discussing the HGA?"

Not true. Lot of those punks have folks dialed in with the "old boy" network. Parents, relatives that work in government. I've heard it from the source.

i believe it and the the HGA becomes the disapproving disilluisoned youth factor , with whom, the cops turn a blind eye to,
while daddy and mom work the politic angle downtown.
hey hwat happened to that longtime windsurfer who got baseball bat beaten by youths near paia??
anyone?

steveC
19th February 2008, 05:27 AM
BobD,

Well, I did say "you know it seems hard believe...". I wasn't at all being judgmental in my comments, its just a common fact in my experiences. Awfully strange thinking about it, but it's quite true. I always try to clarify the differences to others when they ask, because I'm proud to be a windsurfer. And, when it comes to kitesurfing, I always voice a positive viewpoint to the folks asking. Actually, many folks are suitably impressed with the sport of kiting, as the elevated moving kites offer a colorful spectacle of sorts. Also, the kiteboards kick up quite a bit of spray, and that probably catches folks eyes, amoungst other things too.

Yet overall, I don't know if I religiously buy into taking in the responsibly for the actions "of someonelse's kid" concept. Like I said earlier, "all it takes is one or two bad apples to spoil everything".

Needless to say, I look to the kiting community to control the activities of their group. I sail a lot with kiters (really I'm the true minority in the mix), and I have to expect them to adhere to reasonable protocol. Frankly, virtually all kiters at my spots are meeting my expectations, so that's a real positive.

In parting, I would add that I was a completely dedicated surfer 22 years before started windsurfing in 1985, so the beach has been an integral part of my life since my early teens. Also, I must say, I hate the idea of restrictive rules at the beach. Truly, I wish for less rules and more honest fun. Nobody wants a strong police presense and undue tension, and I would hope that the beach doesn't become a war zone of sorts.

Unregistered
19th February 2008, 07:54 AM
That people confuse kitesurfing and windsurfing? You really don't give the average Joe a lot of credit.

Bobd, believe it. It's you who are giving the average Joe TOO MUCH credit. And the average Jane. They really do NOT have ANY idea how windsurfing is different from kitesurfing. A kite? a sail? it's just that bright-colored thing moving along on the water. That's all it is, to the average citizen. You've lost sight of the true fringe nature of these sports.

Now for my real beef with you. You really want to get lumped in with jetskiers? You really want be relegated to 3,000 feet away from anything - as they rightfully should be, because they are noisy, and they stink, and there is no good reason to spread noise and stench and pollution and out-of-control mechanized metal to any places where it does not already exist yet, as they do? Wow. That's some impressively misguided aspiration for solidarity there, brah. Why don't you go lump yourself in with the Superferry while you're at it, if you really want to demand your untrammeled right to waterborne travesty. You'll not see me in that "quorom" of yours.

Unregistered
19th February 2008, 02:59 PM
Awww man... you had to bring up the superferry!! Ugh!!

Love da ferry, brah! Have taken my kit to Kailua three times now on the ferry in my van, and had a blast.

Although I have to agree that our "quorum" shouldn't really include any "gas" powered craft, nature powered craft only, wether its wind or waves.

And, sorry, criminals (HGA) are not invited. And yes, the nice kids from the HGA were the group that beat (Web Peddrick I believe) with bats to an inch of his life. He is lucky to be alive. So, sorry, any comments that include HGA, foh getta bou dit! And yes, the HGA has roots through family and friends in all levels of government from cops to politions. Roots run deep in Hawaii. I have seen a kid get let go after the cops arrived to a fight because his uncle was on the force, and they just said, "straighten up brah or I will tell yer uncle".

When HGA started it was a noble cause. Jan Roberson's (from the Surfrider Foundation) son (Kaleo) founded the HGA many years back to support young and up and comming surfers. The group went bad pretty quick and Kaleo either couldnt control them or was part of the problem and that is a major part of the debate. The fact is, they have lost respect in the surf community here and are nothing more than a gang of theives.

Screamer
19th February 2008, 06:09 PM
"You really want be relegated to 3,000 feet away from anything - as they rightfully should be, because they are noisy, and they stink, and there is no good reason to spread noise and stench and pollution and out-of-control mechanized metal to any places where it does not already exist yet, as they do?"

Excellent.

Unregistered
19th February 2008, 08:01 PM
thanks for the info on the HKA , and stuff...

the superferry issues ughh I agree , while pile that into stuff?? but when it comes to noisy craft like jet skiis and stinky pollution one opens up a big can o worms.
jet aircraft are a big noisy polluter just like a jetski, i bet per ton of cargo the ferry pollutes much less!!!
and the noise northshore from jets ughhh jet skiis are no comparison !! superferry no noise.

BUT whale wise its a no brainer...aircraft have little impact ( as far as we know ) with ceteaceans, jet skiis probaly blow their ears out superferrry just outright poses an impact and noise threat but so do cargo vessels. matson line ....ah why did i raise this issue!!

but hey sailboard wakes dont leave marks...

jetwindsurf
20th February 2008, 12:21 AM
I am responsible citizen of Maui so what is problem?

No wonder they want shut off the water to us!!! You ca'nt see the Unified goles of this missions?

Unregistered
20th February 2008, 01:11 AM
Speaking of people not being able to tell the difference between Kiting and windsurfing.

Yesterday I was shocked to find out that two of my neighbors believe that Obama is Muslum.

So it is easy to see how people can easily group windsurfing and kiting together.

On another note, I was attacked at Hookipa years ago, by one of the HGA .

On a nice Sunday morning minding my own business, with a two foot swell, the guy put 32 holes into the bottom of my surfboard with the sharp point of his, as I held it between us to protect myself.
He was obviously on the "up for days crystal meth plan" and when he ran out of steam he quickly went to the beach and disapeared.

No help from the authorities.

US-775
20th February 2008, 04:12 AM
Hey, the fight isn't over. I just found ANOTHER bill trying to do the same thing. Check this out:

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/site1/docs/getstatus2.asp?billno=HB2222

Its a HOUSE bill similar to the SENATE bill as well.

If anyone wants to track these kind of things, create a google search alert with the parameters:

sailboard site:www.capitol.hawaii.gov

and create one with:

windsurf site:www.capitol.hawaii.gov

When you add it to your google, specify it as a WEB alert not a NEWS alert.

-Marc

Unregistered
20th February 2008, 05:05 AM
On a nice Sunday morning minding my own business, with a two foot swell, the guy put 32 holes into the bottom of my surfboard with the sharp point of his, as I held it between us to protect myself.
He was obviously on the "up for days crystal meth plan" and when he ran out of steam he quickly went to the beach and disapeared.

No help from the authorities.

WHEN THEY RUN OUT OF STEAM THAT WHEN YOU STOMP THEM...but thats when the authorities help them...

shredulato
20th February 2008, 05:09 AM
cut and pasted from the Hawaii State Legislature Bill Status

Report Title:

Ocean Recreation; Sailboards

Description:

Prohibits operators of sailboards from approaching within 200 feet of a swimmer or surfer in the ocean.

HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
H.B. NO.

TWENTY-FOURTH LEGISLATURE, 2008

STATE OF HAWAII

A BILL FOR AN ACT

RELATING TO SAILBOARDS.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:

SECTION 1. The legislature finds that surfers and swimmers using Hawaii's oceans for recreation face a danger from operators of sailboards and kiteboards. Sailboarders and kiteboarders often operate their craft at high speeds in areas crowded with surfers and swimmers. Kiteboards and sailboards are much heavier and faster and could cause serious injury if they were to collide with a swimmer or surfer. The purpose of this Act is to ensure water safety by prohibiting the operator of a sailboard or kiteboard from approaching within two hundred feet of a swimmer or surfer in the water.

SECTION 2. Chapter 200, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by adding a new section to part II to be appropriately designated and to read as follows:

"200- Operation of sailboards and kiteboards. No person shall operate a sailboard or kiteboard within two hundred feet of another person swimming or using a surfboard within the waters of the State.

For the purposes of this section, "sailboard or kiteboard" means any type of board that is propelled by a detachable sail or kite apparatus.

For the purposes of this section, "surfboard" means any type of board that is used for the sport of surf-riding and includes boards commonly known as "body boards"."

SECTION 3. This Act does not affect rights and duties that matured, penalties that were incurred, and proceedings that were begun, before its effective date.

SECTION 4. New statutory material is underscored.

SECTION 5. This Act shall take effect upon its approval.

INTRODUCED BY:

US-775
20th February 2008, 06:29 AM
SB2091 and HB2222 are mirror bills for the same thing but one is SENATE and one is HOUSE. We have to stay on top of BOTH bills to make sure everything stays cool. They were introduced around the same time. Only SB2091 has gotten a reading and hearing.

Unregistered
20th February 2008, 07:15 AM
SB2091 and HB2222 are mirror bills for the same thing but one is SENATE and one is HOUSE. We have to stay on top of BOTH bills to make sure everything stays cool. They were introduced around the same time. Only SB2091 has gotten a reading and hearing.

ah i see,
the twisted vagaries of goverment !!
shredulato

H........G............A
25th February 2008, 10:55 AM
Thank you Auntie and Uncle(s)!!!

We ridem out!!!

Unregistered
26th February 2008, 03:46 AM
For the latest attempts to regulate windurfing out of existence, catch up with the breaking news on this thread at Windsurfing Mag:

http://forums.windsurfingmag.com/showthread.php?t=331

Reports of the latest attempt starts toward the end of page 2. And once again this issue is time sensitive

Unregistered
26th February 2008, 07:02 AM
It's ridiculous to imagine that windsurfing instruction is being singled out, or that the County is for some reason trying to kill windsurfing.

the fact is, the County Administration has had issues and complaints on over-exploitation, over-use, and over-crowding by instructional/guided groups of other activities (scuba, kayak, etc.) at a number of locations.

So, they are trying to enact some sweeping rules to address all possible scenarios involving watersports instruction.

Why was windsurfing indiscriminately included in the proposed regulation? Because windsurfing operators have not bothered to educated the administration on the practices and standards of the sport, or to develop relationships with the administration.

Maybe this will be a wake-up call for them on what they need to do?

Unregistered
26th February 2008, 07:26 AM
Oh, pleeeeeease tell us more....

HGA 4 Evahs
26th February 2008, 12:32 PM
I KU WA!
I KU WA HUKI!
I KU WA KO!
I KU WA A MAU!
A MAU KA EULU!
E HUKI E!
KULIA!

Ho`o nani ka Makua mau
Ke Keiki me ka Uhane no,
Ke Akua mau
Ho`o mai ka`i, pu,
Ko ke ia ao, ko ke la ao
Amene

Unregistered
26th February 2008, 07:51 PM
H.B. 2222 states kiteboards are heavier than surfboards and that contributes half the reason of why they are dangerous. Step away from the pipe elected representatives.

Unregistered
27th February 2008, 01:09 AM
WTF
goo goo ga ga ??
hey who's the baby talker on this forum
talk like grownup so i can understand ...

Unregistered
27th February 2008, 04:03 AM
E ho mai i ka akamai. Grant us the intelligence.

E ho mai i ka maopopo pono. Grant us the understanding.

E ho mai i ka `ikepapalua. Grant us the foresight.

E ho mai i ka mana. Empower us.

consider that the wisdom of a child is truthfull,
and there some truth to wise words in these times.

Ku Holo Mau / Sail On, Sail Always, Sail Forever

shredulato

p.s. i googled all this stuff and its beautiful

Unregistered
27th February 2008, 04:11 AM
Dude making disparaging comments about Hawaiian language, your remarks reflect ignorance, and bigotry. That's putting it kindly.

Unregistered
28th February 2008, 08:38 AM
my sorry my apologies , i was making a offhand disparaging comment about the gromit writing hawaiian,