PDA

View Full Version : Redline tip extension - for Jesper Orth

nifty
19th February 2008, 01:30 PM
Hi Jesper, I'm thinking about using a 490 Redline in my 9m RS racing (luff 534cm). Anyway, I thought if I used a tip extension it might better match the NP mast soft-top. What are your thoughts on this? There is a tip extension available for the 490 Redline isn't there?
Thanks,
Nifty.

Heka
20th February 2008, 01:40 AM
Does severne still produce those tip-extensions? They are very hard to get from our dealler, in Northern Europe...:mad:

Jesper Orth
21st February 2008, 08:18 AM
Hi Nifty

You might strike "gold" with using the Severne 490 Red line + tip extension, with your 9.0 RS Racing. We have good feedback from other sailors using our masts on different sail brands.

First I would try without the extension, -as it might work OK. Let us know how it goes,,

Heka: It is up to the importers if they ordered any tip extension for the 07 race sails. We heard that they can be hard to get hands on.

Regards

nifty
22nd February 2008, 01:46 AM
Thanks Jesper, will do.

nifty
24th February 2008, 05:27 PM
Ok, well I already had a 490 S-Racing ( which I thought might be the same as a Redline?), so I rigged the 9m RS Racing on it to see what it would look like. The news is not good I'm afraid - it's way off. The lower luff looked very tight and very flat, the sail would not rotate at all, and the top 2 cams did not make contact with the mast - work that out. So, how much different can it be if using a tip extension? The whole mast goes down the extension 30cm and the stiffer part stays lower on the sail? I don't know too much, but I think the chances of the Redline working in the RS Racing are a whole lot better with the tip extension. Whether I'm willing to take that chance, I'm not too sure.