PDA

View Full Version : Seeking allround wave-board

lhh
11th March 2008, 02:29 AM
Hi there.
I sail in Denmark in the Baltic Sea and Kattegat and would like to exchange my much beloved Fan.Goya 80 (03-model , 250x54) for a new 08 wave-board.
My weight is 78 kg and I have been windsurfing for 30 years .
I am searching for a one-only wave-board and would therefore like the new wave-board to have the same range as my current board: I use a 5,2 and
4,5 m Ezzy-wave on the board and only seldom (once a year maybee) my 4,0 m., so the board must be comfortable esp. with the 5,2 and 4,5. I like to jump(no loops ,I am 45 yrs) and want to train/perfect the wave-riding part.The waves are normally 1-2 meter only seldom more , since I dont sail in the North Sea.
So the question for the Starboard team : I know the EVO 75 will give me more wave-riding , but will it be as early planing with a 5,2 and as controllable with my 4,5 / 4,0 m ,as the Goya 80 it is going to replace?
Or do You have other suggestions ?
Thanks in advance.
LHH

Ola_H
13th March 2008, 02:32 AM
If you want something close to your Goya, the PA74 will be it. If will easily cover the range you mention. I think that board would offer a similar "fast and effective" feel as your Goya (which was a fast board too) but in a more modern and compact package.

But then there is the EVO, as you write...
If you're serious about perfecting the wave riding in the Baltic sea conditions, the E75 will in my opinion make this a much easier job. You loose a bit of rail bit feel (but it still bites, just with a less well defined feel) and while it planes as early as a PA74 with a 5.2, it need some more coaxing to get onto a plane and go upwind when you're at the absolute min planing limit. But you gain an almost fantastic ability to go more vertical towards the lip when wave riding. When I watch people wave ride, this stage is where most have their problems and EVOs simply make it easier meaning faster progress.

I believe both the E75 and ad PA74 will handle 4.0 about as well (and they should handle it at least as well as the Goya 80). The difference is that the PA74 likes to be driven a bit more over the fin while the E75 more likes you to "let it loose".

So, the choices are there: PA74 which is a fantastic "plug and play" board which will offer you familiar feel but require a bit more finesse to make the best use of your wave conditions. EVO 75 which will help you develop as a wave rider and probably make you hit more lips with better speed but maybe also feel less "natural" in B&J type sailing.

utthita
18th March 2008, 10:31 AM
Quote: (((("But you gain an almost fantastic ability to go more vertical towards the lip when wave riding. When I watch people wave ride, this stage is where most have their problems and EVOs simply make it easier meaning faster progress.

I believe both the E75 and ad PA74 will handle 4.0 about as well (and they should handle it at least as well as the Goya 80). The difference is that the PA74 likes to be driven a bit more over the fin while the E75 more likes you to "let it loose".))))

What would you tell the sailors to change so that they might go more vertical, short of using a board that makes it easier?

utthita
18th March 2008, 10:56 AM
Quote: (((("But you gain an almost fantastic ability to go more vertical towards the lip when wave riding. When I watch people wave ride, this stage is where most have their problems and EVOs simply make it easier meaning faster progress.

I believe both the E75 and ad PA74 will handle 4.0 about as well (and they should handle it at least as well as the Goya 80). The difference is that the PA74 likes to be driven a bit more over the fin while the E75 more likes you to "let it loose".))))

What would you tell the sailors to change so that they might go more vertical, short of using a board that makes it easier?

Ola_H
21st March 2008, 04:42 PM

Actually, I think the easiest way is to get a board that likes to go vertical, sail it for a while and then change back. This will open up your mind towards how it feels and once you're back on you stiffer board you have a kind of vision to work towards. But maybe this is cheating the rule "short of getting a board that makes it easier".

Other than that vision, I think the trick is largely in the sail handling. I actually can not say what particular detail to "change". The best way I can think of to work on that sail handling in wave riding is turning on foam walls. Let the wave break, bottom turn down the wave and then towards the foam. Then flip the board up the white water and make a kind of weightless turn off the foam. When doing this, you will practice the timing in the sail handling. You first need to keep some drive on to have speed to flip the board up the foam. But at the same time you need to your weight off the board and instead kind of hang in the sail for a split second. All of this have to be done without backwinding. So it really involves a lot of the crucial steps. A big plus is that you don't need killer conditions to practice this. When you get the right "pop" in this maneuver you will automatically start doing small airs off the foam. The more onshore conditions are, the harder it will be.

Chris Pressler
24th March 2008, 10:11 PM
Hi all,
out of my view the best overall waveboard in line is the EVO 80. I never missed any wind so long I had the board in my quiver. It plans super early with 5,3, you can surf waves with 7 knots of wind, you can have fun in 30 knots, you will stick freestyle moves and so on. You can sail a 4,2 on it and a 5,9 as well. Just if it getīs stormy, the board is big. I speak about 35knots+.

Chris

www.chrispressler.com