PDA

View Full Version : Q for Ian, Taty about Is 101

superidis
31st March 2008, 04:43 PM
Hello Ian,
After a very detailed presentation that you have given me in a previous topic considering a question of mine about IS 101 vs 111, I bought the Is 101 for which I am extremely happy. During the weekend I had the chance to try it out in conditions from 17 to 30 (mainly from 19 to 24) with little chop.
The board was super stable very fast and with a very comfortable feeling despite the variation of wind strength in the lulls. I was using a Warp F2007 6.8 with the new red 36 fin supplied both days which I think was an exceptional combo as of the performance.
My question has to do with the fact that I experienced some spin outs both days and I would like your opinion - advice about it. Another thing that I would like to mention since I haven't experiment a lot with the foot straps is the position that I have them (Back Foot : from the two that it has on the back, Front Foot : from the three that it has on the middle), is there another suggestion about them?
That's all and thanks for the support in advance hope to hear from you soon,

B/R
Superidis

Taty Frans
31st March 2008, 09:05 PM
Hi there,

I had the same (Spining out) problems when I tried the production red fin on the 101.

I think Ian know what to do about this production fin, either sand it a bit with a really fine sandpaper.. Ian your opinion on this would be great.

I am using the MFC fin size 38 cm on the 101 and it makes the board faster. and much more nicer and very relax.

As for foot straps:

Front foot strap position in the last strap hole the (third hole)

Back foot strap position: either all the way in the back or in the front..

but keeping the front strap in the third,

TAty

Ken
1st April 2008, 01:05 AM
Taty,

Which MFC fin are you using? RC, SL? What would your recommend for the iS 111 for Freeride blasting. I won't be doing much downwind slalom. I weigh 80kg.

The Drake 38 that came with my board spins out a lot and is very difficult to clear.

mark h
1st April 2008, 04:57 AM
Would be interesting to hear details on where to sand the Drake fin. I found the Red Drake race 44 would spin out with a 9m/iS111 and was difficult to correct. I originally thought it was due to the 15% thinner tail but I dont think that now. A 43cm Select Viper has sorted the 9m problem out and Im yet to sort a 38/39cm fin (for 7.8), but will probably go with another Select.

Cheers

Taty Frans
1st April 2008, 10:21 AM
Ken,

Mfc SL 38, That's what I have been using on the 2007 isonic 101 plus on the new 101 2008

I like these fins because it gave me so much control in windy and choppy conditions.

I used mfc SL fins on both 86 and 101 and on the 122 I RC 42 and 44..

Isonic 86: 32 and 34 SL MFC

Isonic 101: 36 and 38 SL MfC

Isonic 122: 42 and 44 RC MFC..

I used these fins last year in all the pwa slalom event and like them pretty much and they work great on the starboard boards..

On the 111, I have never sailed it but i think it comes with a 42 cm fins.. Like I said if you use either mfc or a Choco fin on these boards you will feel a big diffrence..

Taty

Ken
1st April 2008, 10:38 AM
Taty,

Thanks for your feed back. Like Mark, I have not been satisfied with the Drake fins (spin out & hard to clear). The iSonic 111 came with a 38 and 44. I like the 44 better than the 38 and am thinking that the MFC RC 40 or 42 may be the call for my 6.6 and 7.4sails, which is my primary target. If I was into slalom racing (little or non where I live), I would be thinking two fins for the one board. If I do any slalom racing, it will be figure 8.

Thanks again,

Ken

superidis
1st April 2008, 03:23 PM
Hi Taty,
Thanks a lot for your feedback regarding my question. About the foot straps that you told me I would like your opinion about the difference in feeling and control as of the different position of the foot straps (you said for the front foot always on the back one and for the back foot either on the back or the front).
As for the spin out problem, I would like to hear Ian's opinion as well about the sandpaper option that you mentioned or whatever he might propose leaving the substitution option as a last one.
Best regards,
Superidis

Jean-Marc
1st April 2008, 06:42 PM
Superidis,

Don't know for iS101 but on iS76, no more spin out when the mast track was set a bit further back with the stock fin.

Cheers !

JM

Taty Frans
1st April 2008, 08:16 PM
Hi Ken,

I would go for the 42cm MFC fin.. on the Isonic 111.. then you have something in between the 38 and 44.. the MFC fin are great and I am sure you will like them. have fun:)

As for Superidis,

why changing only the back strap positions is because some people like to be sailing with their legs spread and it gives you more control and the far back the more power or by just moving the strap in the front it will make you stand higher on the board this means you will be taller.

But as for me I always use them in the back..

Taty

superidis
1st April 2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks a lot Taty I guess I'll have to try them out to see what suits me better.
Jean-Marc when you say a bit further back you mean beyond the indicated mark ?
B/R
Superidis

Jean-Marc
1st April 2008, 11:43 PM
Superidis,

All straps on the back, RS1-6.6 sail, iSonic 76 :

The stock Drake Slalom Pro 32 cm fin felt a bit harder underfoot whereas the Deboichet SL2 30 cm was a tad softer. With the mast track set at 50%, quite a few spinout deep reaching or hard pointing upwind. Set mast track back at 30% : perfect, no more spinout !

Cheers !

JM

davide
2nd April 2008, 11:34 PM
Taty,

Thanks for your feed back. Like Mark, I have not been satisfied with the Drake fins (spin out & hard to clear). The iSonic 111 came with a 38 and 44. I like the 44 better than the 38 and am thinking that the MFC RC 40 or 42 may be the call for my 6.6 and 7.4sails, which is my primary target. If I was into slalom racing (little or non where I live), I would be thinking two fins for the one board. If I do any slalom racing, it will be figure 8.

Thanks again,

Ken

You should also look into Tectonics and Vector fins. I used Tectonics Goldwing, Falcon and Mirage and I have never been disappointed. I just ordered a Vector Rockit 32, for my CA SL52, that is also gaining a very positive reputation out there.