PDA

View Full Version : futura 111

Geijs
5th May 2008, 05:56 PM
Hi,

I want to buy a new board and I am thinking about the futura 111 lt. My only concern is how this board is on choppy water? I often sail in Northern Spain (costa brava) and with winds of 4 bft. I use a 8m^2 V6, and already you have quite some waves. Can you still control the futura or does it require higher skills to control the board on choppy water?

Geijs

Maximus
6th May 2008, 06:53 AM
The Futura is the most controlable fast freeride/race you can get. Just make sure you have a good selection of slalom fins, to extract the most performance. This board eats chop for breakky!

davide
6th May 2008, 12:48 PM
Hi,

I want to buy a new board and I am thinking about the futura 111 lt. My only concern is how this board is on choppy water? I often sail in Northern Spain (costa brava) and with winds of 4 bft. I use a 8m^2 V6, and already you have quite some waves. Can you still control the futura or does it require higher skills to control the board on choppy water?

Geijs
I only tried a Futura 101, and while it is a very good board it is not exactly a champion in chop. Compared with the similar volumed Carve 101, the Futura 101 is less capable in heavier seas (but of course has better low end). Having said that you are a bit stuck with the choice if you insiste with a Futura, a Futura 101 will not work with a 8.0 ...

If I were you I would try to find something that can carry a 8.0 and is less then at most 64-65 wide, a slalom board (Isonic 101) might be a better choice, at those sails/volume sizes there is not much difference in handling between a "freeride" and a modern slalom and you would get better performance out of it.

Ola_H
6th May 2008, 03:38 PM
I have not sailed the F111 but I have an iS101 and an F101. If you are a good slalom sailor, I agree you could probably make the iS101 handle chop at least as well as the F101. But for me, coming from a wave background, there is no doubt the F101 is MUCH easier to control in chop. There is a kind of longitudinal stability which is very confidence inspiring. With the iS101, you have to drive it all the time to get it to run stable in chop, so there are less margins of error if you don't have the balls/skill to do that. But if you have, I agree with Davide that the iS101 is a more effective board and its also a good jiber - a really fun board. But to answer your question, the Futura in my opinion is very good in chop and the point of the whole design is that it performs well also without a lot of skill. Particularly it handles chop well without a lot of sailor input. It's a good combination of performance and easy.