PDA

View Full Version : Isonic = boring?

Doby
17th August 2006, 08:23 PM
I know the Isonic is a very competetive board and that it is fast on all points of sail. I have 115 which flies!

But the board feels so boring! No exictment going +30 knots. I use my straps in the back and mastfoot all the way back, my boom in the highest position and maximum downhaul but it feels so calm.

I know this is good but it feels so boring, no adrenalin! Shouldn?t windsurfing be fun?

Your thoughts are very welcome! Can some new fins make it more thrilling?

Erik Loots
17th August 2006, 10:03 PM
try to get over 35 knots

try to get your board so flat as possible on the water
try to get your sail standing right up
try to push your board just agianst flying

In your setup you are pulling the sail over yourself. I dont think you go big angle downwind. This is just my opinion...

I find my Isonic 105 most exiting slalomboard I have ever owned...

Screamer
18th August 2006, 02:53 AM
Let me see if I understood this well....
You've got a slalom board that's:
-competitive
-fast on all points of sail
-calm at speed
... and you don't like that? Interesting.
Maybe you should try an old F2 Sputnik (or similar) fully wound in lumpy water, I'm sure you'll find that thrilling and fun ;)

Ian Fox
18th August 2006, 05:29 AM
;)

o2bnme
18th August 2006, 06:45 AM
Pretty funny. I wouldn't clasify my iS105 as boring. When I'm going flat out, it is very exciting. And its jibes are awesome. I'll chalk it up to the language barrier. ;-)

Screamer
18th August 2006, 11:21 AM
What kind of a comment is that, Mr. Administrator?

Are you bored to death?

Ah, I know - too much sailing on the iS ;)

Ian Fox
18th August 2006, 12:17 PM
What can I say ??, Screamer. you had said it all so well !!

All I could manage was that knowing ;) back..

(I guess some guys would find supersonic jets, F1, rockets boring too.)

Sorry Doby, we're not trying to be harsh, but hey...

Seriously, yes, you can "loosen up" the iS with the use of faster freeride fins (slightly shorter, more raked and more base chord for a given sail size/conditions - and yes, it will be a bit more responsive and turny, won't jump a lot better and won't quite go upwind as well or as fast etc. Realistically, the iS is a dedicated and refined efficency machine built with one very clear goal of fun from performance rather than play. It's well mannered - for a slalom board- and yeah, you can through it around quite abit and it won't bite - but it's not what it was intended for either. There's a dead boring answer.

Cheers ~ Ian

Doby
18th August 2006, 01:18 PM
Haha, I did kind of expect these answers :D

Next time I?ll go out blindfolded and see if that?s more exciting. But I think I already know the answer, the Isonic wil bring me home safe.

jonnyc
18th August 2006, 08:18 PM
What you need to do is take off the foot straps loosen the mast foot loosen ya boom lenth so it bags the sail nicely and then go out again I will garantee this will make it more scarey!!B)

Ian Fox
19th August 2006, 01:49 PM
Right !! And for even more fin tuning excitement, leave the fin out !
It's way faster... can't be so confident with the control though :(