PDA

View Full Version : 130 l board selection

Unregistered
15th July 2008, 06:43 AM
Hi fellows,
I would appreciate your advices for choosing the right board type.
Currently I still use an old Fanatic Rabbit from the 90's. It's an old type (i.e. narrow) board with 130 l and length of 300 cm. I am quite happy with it, but you know, after all these years and wear&tear it's time for a new board. I would buy a board with similar properties, however since the modern boards have completely different shapes (wider and shorter) it makes me difficult to compare. Here's where you can help...
- I have 95 kgs
- ride it on the sea in 10-20 knts winds, flatwater to choppy waves (up to 1m)
- ability to uphaul is a must as it often happens that wind decreases while being out of the beach and can't waterstart to get back
In short: I am looking for a freeride board that would give me approx. the same stability as the old narrow 130 l board.

Thanks in advance.
G

toddewoell
15th July 2008, 09:39 PM
Hi G,
if only recreational sailing i would recommend a go133, since it cuts costs down a bit, away from that thinking bout money choose the futura133... since i know all "mades" starboard offers, (i own wood, technora/dram & tufskin boards), i can tell the tufskin gives the most comparable ride to the old fanatic board, it (the go!) tends to be a bit softer by its construction.
if you want to have a more exciting (but also more exhausting) ride, take a technora or wood board.
a bit of a problem could be in your sails: if your sail quiver is also from the 90s, it wont fit that good on a modern board.

best regards, t

Unregistered
16th July 2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks for that.
Don't you think that I should choose a smaller board as the new wider boards give more stability at the same volume or same stability with smaller volume?
My sail quiver is not that old: two Gun sails from 2007/08 and a NS from 2004.

Rgds,
G

toddewoell
16th July 2008, 10:36 PM
Hi,
my regard was based on your weight plus your wish for uphauling... if you add board weight, wet suit, harness, mast, boom and sail weight (the guns tend to be heavy, i ride them too) you will simply need the volume for uphauling. shlogging back on a 122 would be possible, i think.
especially when it comes to uphauling the short length of the new boards will be tricky, since the board rolls less, but nick more...

best regards, thorsten