PDA

View Full Version : Salt vs Fresh Water vs volume

TAG1
8th September 2008, 05:35 PM
I spent 2 weeks recently on a Futura 122 at the Neilson centre in Dahab - got on great with it and found it far easier and forgiving to gybe than my (old) Mistral Screamer 128 which I'm finding to be too narrow for a clumsy idiot like me. I was happy with the 122 on everything from a 5.5 to an 8.0.

Now, Dahab is on the Red Sea and is very salty water. My normal location is UK inland, i.e. a big freshwater lake. I'm quite heavy (90kg) but a competent water starter and starting to plane out of carve gybes. I already have boards of 106L and bigger boards (144 and Formula).

So here's the question - if I want to buy a Futura to continue improving my gybes, do I stick with the 122 because it 'just works fine', or do I have to go up to a 133 because of the salt vs fresh water? (I'd rather not go up in volume unless I really need to.) Or do I just need to lose some weight ;-(

Thanks

Tom

Helmer
8th September 2008, 07:34 PM
Hi Tom
Salt water weighs 1030 gr pr liter and fresh water 1000 gr pr liter
That is 3% less "flotation" from the water at home.
Your wet suite weighs 4 kg "wet" adding this to the weight of you and your gear is and increase of appr. 3% too.
These two changes go the opposite way. i.e. You increase your weight and the water can "carry" less.
100 liter board in fresh water = 100 kg flotation
100 liter board in salt water = 103 kg flotation
All this aside, I would go for the 122 and start working on the jibes. Ask teh next windsurfer you see jibing at your local sport to give you some tips after having seen you sailing/jibing.
p.s.
I weigh 82 kg (and a wetsuit ;-))and sail a 100 liter board and find larger boards "slow" in jibes.

Ian Fox
9th September 2008, 11:02 AM
Hi Tom,

The 122 will be a much better fit in your expanding quiver - and any minor (but real) differences attributable to salt water vs fresh bouyancy will more than be overcome by a couple of good sessions progressing and advancing your technique. In 12 months time you would look back and be glad you made the right decision..

Cheers ~ Ian

TAG1
9th September 2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks Ian and Lars - looks like a Futura 122 has become a 'must buy' - I'll get onto my local dealer (Jonti) without delay! I got plenty of brilliant feedback from the Neilson instructors in Dadab so I just need to do what I was told...

...and eat fewer pies.

Cheers

Tom

Screamer
11th September 2008, 04:37 PM
p.s.
I weigh 82 kg (and a wetsuit ;-))and sail a 100 liter board and find larger boards "slow" in jibes.

Hey Helmer
I guess you haven't tried ugly, square plank of wood called iSonic122, screaming full tilt into (and out of) gybes ;-)))

Tom
Good luck with your F122, but you've got some things wrong. You need to eat MORE pies and than see what happens when it's howling ;-)