PDA

View Full Version : Sand paper grade

tur 70
22nd October 2008, 03:31 AM
Which grade sand paper i got to use for the bottom of my board??what do you use for the speed boards??

Mike T
5th December 2008, 07:47 AM
Tur 70
Hi Here is making it fast by Eva The Board Lady. This should give you some insight on how to make a fast board go faster! http://www.boardlady.com/fast.htm I would probably not do a new board due to possiable warranty issues! Most new boards I've seen all have sanded bottoms already. So if it's not broken don't fix it! If you know what I mean! Good luck and have fun! Mike

carvesalot
6th December 2008, 10:48 AM
1000 grit, also called mirror fine.

Can't see that this would pose a warranty issue.

Waiting4wind
7th December 2008, 06:30 AM
I thought that the debate of smooth versus sanded finish was still an open one. Is it valid to compare a boat hull which is much larger and slower than a board?

I might try an experiment myself. I have an 80l slalom board which the previous owner converted to a smooth finish. Next time I sail it I'll take some 600 grit with me. I'll give it a few GPS runs with the smooth finish then give it a quick sand and try it again in the same conditions.

This probably won't end the age old debate but I'll satisfy my own curiosity.

Remi
7th December 2008, 11:53 AM
Hi tur 70,

Personally I use the 800 grit for all my boards to have a thicker water uniform water on the deck. This have no effect on the waranty if you don't send too much.

All the best

nonopr
7th December 2008, 02:19 PM
water friction versus air friction faster. Water and water friction slower. It is logic...Water with air mix is faster...... Like in a car more air in the engine is faster, more efficent and save gas.
In a windsurf is less effort, more speed and less friction??? hahahahahahahaha.
Let start the dilema again.

Mike T
10th December 2008, 06:37 AM
Remi
Thanks for clearing up the warranty issue with sanding the bottom of the board. You definetly don"t want to sand too much! Mike