View Full Version : I Sonic 94 vs I Sonic 101
31st October 2008, 01:20 AM
I am just about to finalize my starboard selection for 2009.
I will be purchasing 3 boards. 133 and 111 are pretty certain. But I am not so sure about the smallest board that I should have.
I am 80 kg. surfer at national level. (made first 50 in Alacatı PWA).
My smallest sail for next year will be 6.7 - RS Racing
I surf almost exclusively in Alacati Where prevailing winds are between 12-25 knots and we have about 5 days a year between 25-35 which I need to handle
I usually prefer to slightly overpower myself.
In general skipping one size inbetween and picking 94 seems to be the easy decision to extend the range of my gear but the down side would be that I would be stuck more often with my 111 if the wind is variable between 18-22.
OK. I wrote already too much. I will shut up and listen to you. PS: I have to place the order by monday a.m.
Thanks a million
31st October 2008, 04:17 PM
I sail in Greece with very similar conditions to the ones you describe and I use most of the times the Isonic 101 '08 with North Sails Warp 6.8 & 7.8, my weight is 83Kg. The board is a dream, super controllable, super fast and keeps that speed there, with a very wide wind range. I have even used it with the 6.8 during the summer, which was very windy 20 knots average, at around 25-32 knots and it was pure adrenaline. On the other hand I use 101 as my main slalom board since I don't have a bigger size, but a friend of mine that has the IS 96 finds it a bit more difficult to follow through lulls when the wind is unstable. Personally if I had the option of 133 and 111 I would consider the 86 as well for the very windy days, but from what I've seen in the world cup most sailors around our weight had the 101 registered in almost all events.
I'm sure Kevin will know better, hope I helped.
1st November 2008, 05:31 AM
I'm about the same weight as you 87 and have the I122 and I86. I am thinking of adding the 101. How do you find the board with 7.8? I am thinking 7.8/6.2 or 7.0/6.2. Most likely same conditions here 15-25 average when it blows. On another note, its amzing how early the I86 planes up with a 6.7 or 6.2.
2nd November 2008, 05:52 PM
Hmmm I would have thought the 101 would be too close to the 111
Based on ya weight I would consider the IS86 for 25-35 knots instead of the 94.
Just to confuse ya some more my pick would be the IS122, 101, 86 :-)
Whats ya biggest sail ?
2nd November 2008, 06:09 PM
Thanks for your inputs.
Let's see what Kevin has to say. My decision re-133 and 111 are final and order placed already. My biggest sail will be RS racing 9.5 next season.
Kevin, what do you say considering my situation which is quite different from the other guys (except the weight).
Please keep also in mind that my purchase decision is not based on having fun in free riding environment. As you very well know, I need to be fully powered all the time while racing
3rd November 2008, 08:23 PM
Regarding your question I have to say that both 6.8 & 7.8 are handled pretty well with the 101. With the 7.8 I use the 42 stock fin which I think it's very good and the feeling is very smooth without any indications of being over sized and with very good power and speed. The wind limit at which I use 7.8 is around 18 knots.
4th November 2008, 12:10 AM
I think that I am going to go with the 122 and the 101 for next year. This year I used the 133 but in the turns I suffered alot. I like the smallness of the 122 in the gybes. the speed are the same so it is just a matter of what you think will work. If I lived in Alacati I think I would go with the 122. It is so flat there that it is easy to get going on the 122.
Hope that helps.
vBulletin® v3.8.6, Copyright ©2000-2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.