PDA

View Full Version : Is AA moving to JP ?

Polis
26th November 2008, 07:46 PM
or just a rumour ?

probably due to BD factor ?

i'm not surprised too if KP joins Tabou...

nonopr
26th November 2008, 10:05 PM
Haven't heard anything about that... :)

sivagriva
27th November 2008, 12:21 AM
Rumor???: http://www.boardseekermag.com/wnews/show/1/1626

Unregistered
27th November 2008, 03:34 AM
Yep, and its nothing to do with BD, its because of the NP/JP conection and there will be changes on last sessions JP team. But, its not to late for this to be reversed.

Cheers
Mark

Papounet
27th November 2008, 06:35 PM

The news as been erased...

woensdag 26 november 2008 11:20Surfnews
Antoine Albeau gecontracteerd bij JP
There have been lots of rumors around for a while. Now it is official. Antoine, the 3 times PWA Slalom World Champion has signed a 3-year contract with JP starting 1.February 2009.

Antoine had the following to say: “This was a rather big decision for me. I am glad that I went for it and I am very happy that I will be part of JP next year. I really look forward to work with Werner Gnigler and the whole JP team. I will be very involved in the development of the performance oriented boards within the JP line and I can’t wait to get started.”More soon as well as a detailed interview with Antoine with some back ground information why he decided to make this major step in his career.

So A˛ is still on *Board (-:

Until february...

Polis
27th November 2008, 09:35 PM
These people changed boards like changing underwears....

Unregistered
27th November 2008, 11:15 PM
These people changed boards like changing underwears....

bd dropping north sails for severne...wtf

nonopr
28th November 2008, 01:27 AM
What we call MONEY and your future at stake.
Antoine is not getting younger, neither do BD. They need partners for a future job. I don't think they can retire in their salaries right now.

steveC
28th November 2008, 04:25 AM
It's notable how so many of the top pro windsurfers in the world today always seem to be angling and trading sponsers these days. But for many of us out here, it's a bit of smoke and mirrors, because the realities of everything going on usually remain mysterious and clouded. Of course, many folks do the same thing with their careers over time.

Kind of in contrast, it's interesting to consider Robby Naish's professional career after his early Windsurfer brand days. Until he elected to form his own company, he was totally dedicated to Mistral and Gaastra. Still though, those days were very different times.

Nevertheless, over my career, I was one those folks that hung tough and basically remained dedicated and loyal to a single firm. However, in all honesty, that says a lot about my personality and character. It may have been a mistake overall and I could have realized more, but it was what I did.

The one thing that I've noted about Starboard, and very likely, something to do with the character of Svein Rassmussen and how he runs his company, their are many interesting and very talented folks that stick with the brand over the years. To me, I value that.

Poli
29th November 2008, 02:56 AM
AA a mercenary French Legion ?

or others are just eyeing the biggest fat pay cheque ?

If i'm a fan of AA, i have to start selling off my SB gear now, going for JP now...

but an average joe like moi can't afford to change underwears readily, pockets hurt...

get the hint ???

Unregistered
29th November 2008, 07:26 AM
change underwear who does that...LOL.
I think slalom sailing IMHO is too narrow a discipline. I can appreciate the talent it takes to do well but, the wind needed and therefore the specific venues just dont bring this aspect of the sport to even the average windsurfer.
There been a few articles and comments on the web lately on how the top overall sailor could , "COULD " be quantified. Takign in account speed, slalom, and wave events.

But here is an idea, have theses guys do slalom, speed and waves on
ONLY .................

ONE BOARD
what a concept!!

then lets see what the maunfacterers would make !!

now there is an interesting concept!!

crazychemical
29th November 2008, 03:57 PM
they wouldn't make such a board, everyone would hate it. Even if you'd give the possebilety of different fin possebilities the boards rocker would be too fast for waves, too slow for speed and slalom. Also the boards width would be too narrow for slalom so you'd win nothing on that boards. Recreational sailors tend to sail on one spot, maybe two, and the conditions there are usually the same. So a two board quiver for recreational sailors is perfect and with the current second hand market it is even affordable. I'm a recreational sailor and own 3 boards, over 8 sails and 4 masts. It's all a matter of saving and investing. I seldomly buy new gear but i don't sail anyhting older the 2000, and the 2000 sails i own, i tend to not sail to frequent anyway, which is why i don't replace them.
But my main comment on this post is: WHAT DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH AA MOVING TO JP?
personally i don't really care what the sailors are sailing but this may be interesting for SB. With Bjorn Dunckerbeck entering the SB Isonic team and AA leaving SB could prove it's slalom boards superior to others. If AA next year starts losing his grip on the PWA slalom circuit and AA regaining, after reighning 2nd and 3rd for a few years, SB proves that on a highly competative level, it's SB that matters and noone else!
Why riders change boardbrands and sailsponsors i don't really care. I guess at first you're just happy you even get a sponsor. And once you've established yourself you can start brandshopping and once that gets boring i guess it's all about who pays the better cheque when your contract comes to an end.

thats my view of it

Unregistered
30th November 2008, 12:22 AM
chemical is right. if aa goes to jp, there will be real pressure on jp/aa for him to maintain his results. and with the rejuvenation of bd on sb boards and aa not on sb boards, it could be tough. great advertising for sb: "thats what happens when you don't use sb boards"

nonopr
30th November 2008, 04:16 AM
I dont think we are in for a surprise. JP Already has a fast slalom board that just need little more tuning to make it faster.
I think is more or the sailor not the sailboat.
This is a marketing move for the PWA, now things are getting hotter. I hope they use this change for the best.

mim
30th November 2008, 03:52 PM
Well, there are fast slalom boards and there is isonic.
Since the contract is starting at the beginning of 09 I am not if they can modify the boards according to the needs of AA.

With BD on Starboard, AA will be in a very difficult position. A certain advantage for AA could be if BD goes to Severne. I like Severne but till now there was not much success in slalom or speed.

It will definetely will be a tough year for all the sailors.

PS: Just a small note...the board makes the difference. remember before AA joined Starboard, he never won a PWA Slalom event.

I will definetely not change the brand event that AA was one of my favourites...

crazychemical
30th November 2008, 04:42 PM
I dont think we are in for a surprise. JP Already has a fast slalom board that just need little more tuning to make it faster.
I think is more or the sailor not the sailboat.
This is a marketing move for the PWA, now things are getting hotter. I hope they use this change for the best.

They've always told me: no matter how fast the board can go, if you're a slow sailor that board won't move an inch faster then you. And it's true, i mean, u need training, skills and experience to be a good sailor in a certain dicipline. But on a professional level ... everyone uses the same techniques, same whatnot so this is the point where gear starts to matter. So, i guess we'll have to see how much tuning JP will do with AA to it's boards and if those adjustments will allow him to beat the IS.
Don't underestimate Severne. Remi Villa rides with them and puts down very nice results. I'm sure BD could pull it off with the right amount of feedback to the sailmakers.
But those are all things we'll have to see when PWA 2009 takes off.

Screamer
30th November 2008, 11:04 PM
Crazy has some interesting thoughts
If AA doesn't sweep most of the slalom events like he did in the past (and let's say Bjoern or KP does), it will prove iS strength.

I have nothing against top sailors changing sponsors, we all try to make the most of our jobs. What bothers me though, are obligatory statements: "I'm so stoked to be a part of such a talented and hard working *insert manufacturer* team, etc, etc". Rubbish.

crazychemical
30th November 2008, 11:44 PM
agreed. I'd like to see a saylor with the balls to tell the people: hey, my contract with A got to an end and B had a better followup so i went with B. More interesting job because i get to do this and this, and they pay better. It's why they probably change...
though when KP changed from Maui Sails to Gaastra i always wanted to know the full story... i mean, he co-owned MS and went back to the brand that he left intentionally years earlier .... now eighter big bux or big arguement.

But in the end, sailors keep changing till they retire or start their own brand (like Robby Naish, Jason Polakov and Svein the main man himself). Fact of life just like beer getting you drunk.

mim
1st December 2008, 05:18 AM
Don't underestimate Severne. Remi Villa rides with them and puts down very nice results.

I am not underestimating Severne, just that on PWA there is not that much top ten in Slalom on CodeRed.

PS: I am riding only Severne, and I like it! That just how the results are!!!

nonopr
1st December 2008, 06:11 AM
KP and MauiSails???hummmmmmm....To many people owning the same company????Who has the inside story?????
I would love to know that one. He won a few titles under MauiSails.

crazychemical
1st December 2008, 06:54 PM
I am not underestimating Severne, just that on PWA there is not that much top ten in Slalom on CodeRed.

PS: I am riding only Severne, and I like it! That just hohttp://star-board.com/forum/images/icons/icon12.gifw the results are!!!

perhaps now with a bigshot like BD Severne could gain a few places on the PWA slalom circuit. The guys in the top ten are always bigshots in multiple diciplines. BD, AA, KP, Matt Pritchard, Peter Volwater, these guys won multiple diciplines in their career but none are sailing (to this day) with Severne but they dominate top 10 on the slalom cicuit.

I'd like to ride Severnes, but even on second hand market they turn out quite expensive ... looking at a few code reds none the less ;)

mim
1st December 2008, 07:08 PM
Definetely not cheap but fine. Light, good qulity, inovation...trimming exactly as the guide says, looks nice.

And on the water it is perfect I like all of them...

3x S-1 (4.3, 5.0, 5.9)
NCX 7.0
Element 8.5

all 2008.

Money is not everything...they need some movement:D.

Ciao Michal.

PS: Looking forward to see them not only in top ten on PWA circuit but on the highest place!!!;)

Unregistered
2nd December 2008, 06:00 AM
CR? Dont forget to buy a lot of spare masts (for each sail), and dont go more than a few hundred metres from the beach unless you are a good swimmer or have a rescue boat ready.

michelb
2nd December 2008, 08:15 AM
why you tell this, I'm asking because last week I broke my mast Gaastra 550 with a Code Red 11 mts... I thougth was bad luck but with your comment..... maybe is something I need to know?

Michel

Formula 161, no mast no sail....

Chris Pressler
2nd December 2008, 03:18 PM
Hi guys,
I can´t write about Formula mast lenghts, but my Slalom masts from Severne were really strong. All over the season, flying and competing at 6 PWA events, using the masts, for instance the 460 red line for travel trips and trainingssessions, really mast one SDM of 7 masts broke.
in the small sizes I used Blue line masts in 400 and 430, no spare and they were super strong, rigging them in Pozo or Fuerteventura. One 460 broke, but had this mast on so many trips in the bags and inside different sails (Code Red, Gator, Glide). No 490 broke and used them for sure more than 50 times on the 9,0.
Sure, sometimes masts can break, when they get heated up a lot.

Chris

Unregistered
4th December 2008, 05:41 PM
http://www.severnesails.com/2009/news/bjorn_dunkerbeck.php

mim
4th December 2008, 06:17 PM
I am looking forward for 2009 season. Let's see who will be better: AA on a new board or BD with new sails.

I am of course on the side of BD (since he is on my favourite gear).;)

Ciao Michal.

viking
4th December 2008, 06:49 PM
Just have to change the slogan, I propose "sails for the retirement" to replace "sails for the revolution"

mim
4th December 2008, 06:52 PM
a bit offensive don't you think...
Remember,
you think you can do better, go a prove it!
Otherwise, wait for the forst results. And even if BD will not be top 3 i don't care for me Severne has something...

Btw. what sails are you riding?

nonopr
4th December 2008, 08:33 PM
Come on Guys Keep it clean.

mim
4th December 2008, 09:13 PM
just don't like statements like that.
Have a lot of wind!

ciao M.

nonopr
4th December 2008, 10:02 PM
I am with you on that. I dont trash other brands. Although I ride Starboard and MauiSails and Vector fins.

LK
5th December 2008, 01:28 AM
http://beachtelegraph.typepad.com/beach_telegraph/2008/12/starboard-strat.html

would be nice with AA, BD and KP on *board 2009

LK
12th December 2008, 03:56 PM
It's over, he moves to JP

http://beachtelegraph.typepad.com/beach_telegraph/2008/12/le-switch.html

nonopr
12th December 2008, 08:26 PM
Great, let him go and open sapce for a new crew at Starboard. Now let see if he still make it in the top ten next year. That would be the definite answer.

Papounet
12th December 2008, 10:40 PM
Remember when he was on AHD...
Bad or Old boards but in front.
JP are bullshit in Slam but he can do the same...

A˛ + JP + Pryde
Dunky + Starboard + Severne

Each of them have, stones to hold...

viking
13th December 2008, 10:14 AM
Great, let him go and open sapce for a new crew at Starboard. Now let see if he still make it in the top ten next year. That would be the definite answer.

He will be first without any trouble again... Fortunately, windsurfing is not formula 1 and it is still the rider that makes the result. Look Wojtek this year in formula. And if we spoke about the equipment, as Papounet said, he has from far the best rig and that is as important as the board. And maybe the 2009 JP have improved? The big ones (the most used in competition) were already not so bad for the last 2 years...

And what about KP?

LK
13th December 2008, 08:29 PM
http://www.windsurfjournal.com/frontblocks/news/pop_up_news.asp?id_news=16588&ID_BB_LANGUAGES=1

nonopr
13th December 2008, 08:39 PM
He will be first without any trouble again... Fortunately, windsurfing is not formula 1 and it is still the rider that makes the result. Look Wojtek this year in formula. And if we spoke about the equipment, as Papounet said, he has from far the best rig and that is as important as the board. And maybe the 2009 JP have improved? The big ones (the most used in competition) were already not so bad for the last 2 years...

And what about KP?

Let see......... early prediction is: Subject to change:
1. Bojrn
2. Albeau
3. Ross
4. Kevin
:):D:p:confused::o;):rolleyes::cool::eek:

viking
13th December 2008, 09:21 PM
My bet:

1/ AA
2/ Buzianis
3/ Bjorn
4/ KP
5/ Moussilmani

crazychemical
13th December 2008, 10:15 PM
i'm with Nonopr on the predictions. Off to unibet for a gamble :p

Unregistered
16th December 2008, 05:40 PM
I have my reservations on the JP boards and the Severne sails. So I believe this levels out the equipment changes between Antoine and Bjorn. In my opinion, KP will have the best combination of boards and sails so might end up on top.

In any case, this promises to be an exciting season and no fan can complain about this!

Alain

Unregistered
17th December 2008, 11:35 AM
Looks like Dunkerbeck will compete in formula the next year and AA is out of formula racing.

viking
17th December 2008, 12:02 PM
AA had already stopped Formula this year

I am surprised to hear that Dunky will do formula, would ne very interesting...

steveC
17th December 2008, 03:15 PM
I would be surprised if BD entered the formula game. Some years ago, while on his wave adventure path, he was very critical of the whole formula scene. As I see it, he would be coming into formula a bit short on experience. Moreover, why would he participate in formula when the PWA readily abandoned it some years ago? Where's the money in formula?

mark h
17th December 2008, 05:28 PM
BD competed in FW at last years Engledin winds at lake silvaplana, he used a T1 proto FW. I think this due was BD being the event ambasodor. But, like Steve says, its not really his thing.

carlosgp5
17th December 2008, 05:35 PM
Anybody knows why AA didn´t race formula this year?

viking
17th December 2008, 08:55 PM
Too busy I think...

viking
18th December 2008, 03:01 PM
Cyril Moussilmani moves to Starboard, interesting...

Unregistered
18th December 2008, 03:43 PM
WOW! 2009 is going to be interesting!! If my memory did not fail me, AA was always beaten by KP until he switched to SB and Bjorn started to beat AA after he switch to SB. But Bjorn is switching sail, Cyril is not. 2009 will tell us whether it is the rider / the board / the sail that makes the difference.

viking
18th December 2008, 05:24 PM
"If my memory did not fail me, AA was always beaten by KP until he switched to SB "

Let's take the 2004 and 2005 PWA Race/Slalom events (you can check on the PWA site):

2004 Race:

Pozo: AA 3rd, KP 4th
Sylt: AA 1st, KP 4th
Almanarre: AA 1st, KP 5th

AA world Champion with AHD (a 3 years old shape...)

2005 Slalom:

Sotavento: AA 4th, KP 5th
Sylt: AA 3rd, KP 9th

Final ranking: AA 3rd and KP somewhere behind

So I think there's a trouble with your memory!

Papounet
18th December 2008, 06:18 PM
I am looking forward for 2009 season. Let's see who will be better: AA on a new board or BD with new sails.

I am of course on the side of BD (since he is on my favourite gear).;)

Ciao Michal.

Just a little big problem for them.

Cyril Moussilmani with Starboard / North (-:

crazychemical
18th December 2008, 08:38 PM
yeah but BD is a legend so little problem for Moussilmani i'd say ;-)

LK
18th December 2008, 09:16 PM
The Moussilmani brothers are deadly in slalom, esp. in high wind. Won’t be surprised if Cyril wins a PWA event in 2009.
Good balance in the team with BD, KP and CM

viking
7th May 2009, 02:54 PM
First event on going...

Is it the time for the new generation to win a event with Ross Williams? The Tabou/Gaastra package shows good result so far with many riders at the top.

Antoine Albeau seems very competitive with its JP (he would be on my toilet's door anyway).

Very good result for Julien Quentel who has just returned to competition after a short retirement.

Not bad for BD who won a race and is currently 5th.

Papounet
7th May 2009, 09:44 PM
A very spécial event....
Only FW racers in front except Bjorn & Finian but they are old foxes.

You must be a killer on the start line or you are dead, FW racers can do that.

Not a Race for the Moussilmani brothers, not enought wind

Unregistered
8th May 2009, 06:05 AM
The new Pwa rules and the matos change make the event more competitive and finally more intersting. Already 3 different winner in 4 races. Verry good for the suspense!!!!!

mark h
8th May 2009, 06:19 AM
Interesting to see that BD chose the iS94 over the iS86. Will be good to see how it performs in sylt c/w iS86

viking
19th May 2009, 02:09 PM
A2 dominates in Korea, he proves definitly that the man makes the result, not the board. So sorry for BD fans!

Polis
19th May 2009, 05:08 PM
I think AA is able to stay ahead is probably due to NP rig and not the board factor.

viking
19th May 2009, 06:40 PM
Don't you think A2 is able to stay ahead because he is the best?

Unregistered
24th May 2009, 11:26 AM
after reading this thread it tought what about something completely different.

so, how bout longboard racing,
yeah i'd like to see these studs race longboards
then see what happens, in light heavy medium airs all of it.
its would be interesting to say the least.