PDA

View Full Version : the right Rio size

Chris Pressler
2nd December 2008, 06:59 PM
Hi Roger and all others on this forum,
I think about a Rio, but I am not sure about the size.
Intermediate sailors with 80 to 100 kg will use it in lightest wind up to medium wind, most of the time on sweetwater. The board should be a tool, which makes windsurfing possible on all days my friends will come to the lake and give them the chance to improve their non-planning skills very quick.
I think about the 195 l sized model...

Thanks in advance for your ideas,
Chris

Roger
3rd December 2008, 09:32 AM
Hi Chris,
I've been using the Rio M (195 liter) for about 8 months, and I really like it.
It's good in < planing windspeeds with the CB down, and also quite good with a 56-60 cm
fin with the CB up in planing mode.
One of the best transition/dual purpose boards I've ever sailed.
The Rio M should be good for up to 90 Kg sailors for sure, and it won't sink under a 100 KG sailor, but it may be a little sluggish under that much weight, but a larger rig should help.
I've sailed it with 5.6 m2 to 8.5 m2 rigs and it's pretty sweet, even in fairly choppy 5.6 m2 conditions.
I've used it most of all as my "tow board" when teaching beginnners, with 4.2 and 5.0 m2 Sailworks Retro Ripper II trainer sails. I can sail this board all day while teaching in lit winds. I attach a bungee tether between the mast foot on the Rio M and the nose of one of my older high volume Start boards. Most of my students are "off the tether" and sailing on their own in < 10 minutes.
Hope this helps,

Chris Pressler
3rd December 2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks a lot Roger. That helps very much. I have to add that my main focus is to find a size for a 80 kg heavy person.
Do you guess that the 175 model is too small at all for a 80 kg rider?
Thanks,
Chris

Roger
4th December 2008, 02:31 PM
Hi Chris,
I weigh about 80 Kg. (175lbs.=79Kg) so I'm sure the '08/'09 Rio M (195 liter) will work very nicely for an 80 Kg. sailor.
It's actually pretty quick for a transition board in planing mode.
The Rio S (175 liter) might alswo be OK for 80 kG., but for larger/heavier sailors I would think the
Rio M (195 liters) would be alot better (more stable, both fore and aft and athwartships).
The Rio L (215 liter) would be even better for larger sailors.
Hope this helps,

natchobg
13th May 2009, 08:32 PM
Hi Roger and all others on this forum,

I'm just about to buy my first gear, the board choice made so far is Rio M. I'm a novice with less than 20 hours on water, weight 100 kg. and now reading Roger's comments above on 90 kg. limitation, I'm a bit confused...The local dealer doesn't have experience with this board size and it seems I can't get the right recommendation from them...So, shall I be able to surf the Rio M board on light wind, sails 6 - 6.5 m2?

Thanks for your comments!

Roger
14th May 2009, 01:01 PM
Hi natchobg,
You can for sure sail the Rio M at your weight, but you would get better performance from the Rio L (215 liters), especially in light winds.
At your size, I think you will be a bit underpowered on a 6.0-6.5 m2 sails unless you have more than 16 knots of wind all the time.
The Rio L with a 7.5-8.5 m2 rig would give you good performance even is non-planing conditions.
If you have more than 15 knots all the time, then the Rio M might make more sense.
Hope this helps,

natchobg
15th May 2009, 08:40 PM
Thank you, Roger!

The reason to chose Rio M (195 l) is that I was looking for a compromise between my skills (entry level, no planning, etc.) and a volume, which sounds not that awful big (like Rio L). On the other hand, I'll go windsurfing only weekends this season, on local lakes, with light or moderate wind - up to 15 knots max. May be I'll consider Rio L as a first gear...

Enjoy the weekend,
Natcho

P.S. BtW Roger, now I realized that you mentioned Rio M at 175l few posts above, probably, minded at Rio S? Will be there any big significant difference between 195l and 215l, taking into consideration my weight and skills?