PDA

View Full Version : i-sonic 122lt- 2008 what size sail?

Emo
16th December 2008, 01:48 AM
Hi guys,

What will be better for light winds on your opinion,Gaastra GTX-8,5m2 or Vapor-9m2
My weight is 91kg.
Thanks in advance!

nonopr
16th December 2008, 01:57 AM
Emo:
the Isonic 122 works great with 6.6, 7.6, 8.4 and 9.2. You can push the limits in a 9.8 or maybe a 10m sails.
GTX is fuller and more freeride better for early planning in marginal conditions. But the Vapor will be better when a bit more wind and will keep it speed in holes.
I recommend fins in the 40-42-44- if you go bigger than 9.8 the 46cm fin.
Enjoy.

Chris Pressler
16th December 2008, 03:38 AM
Hi Emo,
depends in which conditions you will sail. Honestly I really like the 122 with sizes around 8,0. A little bit more and a litle bit less. I used the 7,7 and 8,3 Code Red. Nonopr is exactly right with teh recommended sailsizes. I also used the 9,0, which worked fine with fins 44+ (46/48), but my weight is less than yours around 7kg.
If you really want to plan early, I would suggest the 9,0. If you will get a wide range of conditions I would suggest a size smaller Vapor for instance. But you should ask Kevin Pritchard concerning the performance of the Gaastra´s.
For sure you will have a great lightwind setup with a 9,0 on the 122.
Hope it helps,
Chris

Unregistered
16th December 2008, 06:49 AM
I run an '07 122 with mainly an '08 8.5 GTX as my middle, moderate wind kit. I'm 80kgs. I'm happy with it. My lightwind kit is an FType 158W & '08 Vapor 10m. I tried the Vapor on the 122 once and didn't like it at all. I was under finned with the stock fin. The added weight of the rig turned the board into a semi sinker on slow tacks. Definitely not well balanced. I love the Vapor with the Ftype. The sail seems to add more lift than a freerace sail such as the GTX which really makes the board ride more free. I wish I had purchased a smaller Vapor for the 122. The board seems to stick a little on reaches with the GTX. Of course once I bear off a few degrees it tends to ride more free off the tail.

Unregistered
16th December 2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks a lot guys!
You were very helpful and you gave me useful hints.
At the moment I have GTX,but I plan to change it with Vapor 9.0 to have more power, earlier planning and reach more speed.
I have also F-type 158, usually I use it with 11m2-Nitro5, but if I get this Vapor, will be able to use it with F-type too.
I was afraid if I take 9.0 Vapor, to not make very heavy rig for that board and to achieve opposite effect.
Anyway I am already convinced to take this Vapor 9.0, hope that it will be not mistake.

P.S. I’m talking about flat water, light wind (under 18 knots) conditions.

Best regards,
Emo