PDA

View Full Version : Extensions - Streamlined vs Neil Pryde X6 MXT/UXT

Unregistered
1st February 2009, 05:52 PM
Following some extensive research, I have come to the conclusion that Streamlined and NP X6 extensions are the best on the market .. however how do these two compare?

Has anyone owned had the chance to compare these two together?

Unregistered
1st February 2009, 09:33 PM
I have both for my TR4. The NP extension is a better match for that sail. For other sails, I can't comment.

Unregistered
2nd February 2009, 03:54 AM
What about the downhaul pull required. Is one easier than another?

Can you downhaul sails with the extensions by hand only?

How is one extension better than another for specific sails? They both aluminium extensions and would have similar flex?

nonopr
2nd February 2009, 11:08 AM
The Neilpryde and Chinook extensions are by far better than any Streamline extension. Both of them has the built ans the quality you can depend.

Unregistered
2nd February 2009, 04:27 PM
nonopr,
I am very surprised with your reply. Are you saying that the Streamlined quality is not very good? I have never heard any complaints about Streamlined so I would very much like to understand more information on this.

mim
2nd February 2009, 05:28 PM
Hi,

I have never heard about any problem with chinook as well. Guys, are you sure you want the discussion on which extension is better than the other one?

Btw, the statement in the first post..."they are the best...". How the hell you can say that, have you try all that you can get, or just 2 or 4 (even that is extremely lot).

I just think, get the one made by your sailproducer and you will not be far from ideal...from another suppliers i have experiance with chinook and the thing is doing just fine.

have fun!
Ciao Michal.

nonopr
2nd February 2009, 07:21 PM
nonopr,
I am very surprised with your reply. Are you saying that the Streamlined quality is not very good? I have never heard any complaints about Streamlined so I would very much like to understand more information on this.

Streamline are good, I jusy like better their bases. Which I use. But in regard extensions, Chinook has 3 pulleys and the way they built them (design) is better than the old school style of the pulleys in the Streamline. Now talking about NEilpryde which I also use, So far they are way ahead of design and convinience, plus the rope they now put in their extensions are the best for downhaul. They are by far design better.

I have never had any failure with any extension of any brand name, but I rely on either Neilpryde or Chinook for the pulley design and structure.

Unregistered
2nd February 2009, 07:28 PM
"they are the best...".

No worries.

I probably should have spent more time thinking about my words more precisely.

I should have written ... 'the NP and Streamlined are my top two preferred options'.

Just need any feedback deciding between my two preferences.

Unregistered
2nd February 2009, 07:29 PM
nonopr,

have you noticed any difference in downhauling the NP X6 compared to the Streamlined? Is one easier than the other?

Unregistered
2nd February 2009, 07:31 PM
I mean just in terms of the pull force required. I have read some people suggesting that they can downhaul race sails with the NP X6 by hand !?!?! But I find this hard to believe. I wonder if there is much difference in the pull required between the two.

honk
2nd February 2009, 08:15 PM
I changed from Streamline to Chinook bec the Streamline have the entire section inside the mast intact with the mast. We stored our sail rig up and this cause corrosion. Chinook only have the stopper and the very top section contact with mast

The Chinook bottom can be upgrade to a Air ball bearing system which will ease the downhaul. I have also not broken any Chinook extension so IMO , I feel Chinook is better than Streamline

nonopr
2nd February 2009, 10:50 PM
I mean just in terms of the pull force required. I have read some people suggesting that they can downhaul race sails with the NP X6 by hand !?!?! But I find this hard to believe. I wonder if there is much difference in the pull required between the two.

YEs, The Neilpryde has a better rope and it slides better and downhaul is a bit easier. The new X6 from Neilpryde has that new pulley design with the rope integrated to the extension. Pretty nice.
Photos included.

Egor
5th February 2009, 02:37 AM
I have also changed from streamlined to X6 NP and find this extension works better with my mauisails. Its a little harder to release the downhaul in short bursts before I pop my cams on but other than that its excellent and has perfect alignment with my sail pully. I use a chinook downhaul winch so dont know what is easier to downhaul by hand.

Phill104
5th February 2009, 04:31 AM
I've had a few problems with the new NP extensions. At first I used it with the North adapter. I then discovered that it will not accept the longer pins found on many deck plates so I had to use a short pin one. The next problem was sand. The slightest bit if sand anywhere near it and you either cannot get the pin in the extension, the button jams solid and of it was clean when you started and has got any sand inside you cannot separate the damn thing as the button gets jammed.

The final problem is the scariest. It only seems to happen under a lot of load when speed sailing but the adapter pops out of the extension. Suddenly finding the sail coming away from the board when you are hacking down the speed course does tend to test the integrity of even the best cycle clips.

So I bought the NP deck plate. While this cured to some extent the sand problem (there were still times when the release button jammed), the separating still happened.

So it is back to my trusty Arrows Airbases which are sadly now not in production. I wish someone would buy the design and remanufacture those as they are excellent.

nonopr
5th February 2009, 08:45 AM
That is the reason I use the MXT version of the X6. It uses a US cup(neilpryde version of it with just one button) not a Euro pin.
I have never has any problems with it, plus I dont have to use an adapter either.

Unregistered
13th February 2009, 09:43 PM
I've had a few problems with the new NP extensions. At first I used it with the North adapter. I then discovered that it will not accept the longer pins found on many deck plates so I had to use a short pin one. The next problem was sand. The slightest bit if sand anywhere near it and you either cannot get the pin in the extension, the button jams solid and of it was clean when you started and has got any sand inside you cannot separate the damn thing as the button gets jammed.

The final problem is the scariest. It only seems to happen under a lot of load when speed sailing but the adapter pops out of the extension. Suddenly finding the sail coming away from the board when you are hacking down the speed course does tend to test the integrity of even the best cycle clips.

So I bought the NP deck plate. While this cured to some extent the sand problem (there were still times when the release button jammed), the separating still happened.

So it is back to my trusty Arrows Airbases which are sadly now not in production. I wish someone would buy the design and remanufacture those as they are excellent.

Phil, I have a brand new NP extension including this adapter. Like you, I was pretty much dissapointed to find that my north starbase joint (which I have 3) do not go inside this adapter. So I cut one of my joints and it is OK now.

The sand is not a problem for me. I do not have any sandy beaches around here...

But the final problem which you describe scares me alot. Can you explain a little bit more, and what excatly happens? I cannot imagine that this adapter goes out of extension. I could hardly put it inside my extension.
I will use this ext+adapter with my 8.2 in flat water. Do you think it is a problem and that I can expect similar failure? How many times did it happen to you?

Thanks

Steve711
14th February 2009, 02:24 PM
Phil, I have a brand new NP extension including this adapter. Like you, I was pretty much dissapointed to find that my north starbase joint (which I have 3) do not go inside this adapter. So I cut one of my joints and it is OK now.

The sand is not a problem for me. I do not have any sandy beaches around here...

But the final problem which you describe scares me alot. Can you explain a little bit more, and what excatly happens? I cannot imagine that this adapter goes out of extension. I could hardly put it inside my extension.
I will use this ext+adapter with my 8.2 in flat water. Do you think it is a problem and that I can expect similar failure? How many times did it happen to you?

Thanks

I experienced separating problem also when using the MX NP base+ base adaptor+Euro pin base. The pin just came out while sailing and happened to twice. Now I ditched the UXT adaptor and use the NP Power M base with MXT release system and it works well so far.

Phill104
14th February 2009, 06:22 PM
Exactly as Steve711 says, the pin just came out. It is not just me, I have seen this happen to a couple of people during Weymouth Speedweek.

Unregistered
14th February 2009, 07:50 PM
I pretty much tried tham all over the years and have now gone streamline.
Best thing (for me) is the pulleys are bigger than most and the rope doesnt need
to run through the cleat which (previously) meant I was for ever chewing up
downhaul rope.
Dont a lot of pros use them ?
For an old fat bstd, I'm so streamlined I feel good !

Unregistered
15th February 2009, 02:37 PM
The Streamlined is improved by using the ball-bearing pulleys, but under high downhaul tension it can be difficult to cleat the line as there isn't a fairlead. The NP is nice, but it weighs a ton (and, as mentioned here, needs to be used with an NP base). I've seen plenty of the Chinook Carbon extensions break (both SDM and RDM), though they are light and the downhaul system works well.

Any extension will be upgraded using Dyneema line - much easier to downhaul, and much more durable. It's amazing that any company would still spec an extension without it, or that any serious sailor wouldn't try and get some.

Klint
16th February 2009, 03:55 PM
Where did the Chinook carbon extensions break?

Unregistered
19th February 2009, 06:43 AM
Yes you can downhaul the RSR with X6 extention by hand. I had a 6.7 and 8.4 RSR. Both I pulled down by wrapping the rope around a screw driver twice and simply pull. No need for winches or any of that sort of thing.

Unregistered
19th February 2009, 12:59 PM
Yes you can downhaul the RSR with X6 extention by hand. I had a 6.7 and 8.4 RSR. Both I pulled down by wrapping the rope around a screw driver twice and simply pull. No need for winches or any of that sort of thing.

Ahhhhhhh !! I understand what you mean now!!!

I thought that you can downhaul with your BARE hands!

Of course, it is easy with a screwdriver!

Erik Loots
22nd February 2009, 06:18 PM
Hi,

On my speedsurfing blog I wrote a couple of articles about the Neilpryde MXT extension. I really like it but there are still some minor flaws.

Article 1, my thoughts
http://www.speedsurfingblog.com/2008/12/neilpryde-mxt-extender.html

Article 2, some comments on design
http://www.speedsurfingblog.com/2009/02/neilpryde-x6-mxt-comment.html

I hope you like the articles

Unregistered
23rd February 2009, 06:34 PM
do you think that the problem can be solved if I replace the spring inside adapter with a much stiffer one?

if I understand the design correctly, the spring inside adapter has to be soft enough to get adapter inside extension, but in this case, it is to soft to hold the pin safely.

maybe if I put extremely stiff spring (the one that I can hardly put adapter into the extension) it would hold the pin better?

Papounet
23rd February 2009, 08:09 PM
For the line...
Only 3.8/4.0 mm line on MXT

You can give money to Mr Pryde who bye it to Mr Marlow
http://www.neilpryde.fr/images/fr/products/accessories2008/access_formula_line_rope_08.jpg

Or directly to Mr Marlow
http://www.isthmussailboards.com/images/MWFE.jpg

http://www.isthmussailboards.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MWFE

But curiously, many French riders don't have 3.8 ( 12 spindles ), but 4.3 mm ( 16 spindles ) lines....
The same thing on grouped spécial commandes by 500/1500 m
http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/6310/xx2gp4.jpg

nonopr
23rd February 2009, 09:32 PM
$9.00 US dollars for the 3 meters of rope from Neilpryde OR $5.90 for 3 meters of Marlow rope at .90 cents a foot.

Unregistered
24th February 2009, 06:03 AM
I thought "Formuline" from Monsieur Marlow was the best ?
Is Puerto Rico still in "feet" ?
Not many of us left these days !!!

Unregistered
5th January 2011, 08:35 AM
nonopr,

I have used a Streamlined extention and matching US cup base for a couple of years now. The problem I have had with the Streamlined base is that it distorts when downhauling my 10M sail. I use a winch to down haul this, and everything looks OK but I have a big struggle to insert the cup base into the extention.

On close inspection I find the extention has gone oval at the bottom and I can't get the US cup base inside. Very frustrating at the beach. In my experience, the Streamlined base and extention is suitable for 7.5 and smaller sails only.

nakaniko
8th January 2011, 04:54 AM
My poor experience, I have a lot of extensions since I used to keep one for each sail already set to the proper required lenght, all to save time and speed up rigging.
NP: very nice and snug fit, but if sand enter during rigging can be a problem when derigging, mast can remain locked in the mast base. But they are light and seems bombproof. On a 48 cm SDM extension I had some problem with the button of europin locking system, It tends to go out of the hole if its locking theet is loose and not correctly engaged (and be suddenly thrown away in the sand!). I.ve found myself outside of Bogo (DK) planning WITHOUT the rig fastened to the mastfoot!
Never owned a Streamlined, here they have huge reputation like their price, and I don't know if they make the euro-pin version.
Some doubts about the RDM Chinook I own, it doesn't accept longer North pin version, I had finally to cut it down; and therefore it has a too thick end cap that remained stuck and somewhat glued inside the bottom of my 430 FS Tidal Wave RDM, because of some sand, so now I wave to work hard for pushing it out from other side...

davide
8th January 2011, 05:29 AM
If you want the ultimate extension check out the new Hotsails Maui. Cast base, integrated cleat, made in 4 different materials: aluminum, composite, carbon or titanium (!). Aluminum collar, spectra line, 30 or 45 long, Euro or US with a very smart adaptor. I have a streamlined but the HSM seems to be a much better design.

http://www.hotsailsmauishop.com/extensions-1.aspx

http://www.hotsailsmaui.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3026

MarcoM
8th January 2011, 05:51 PM
I have the streamline (RDM and SDM). I am very happy with it. My biggest sail for the SDM is a North RAM 9.0. I have no problems for downhauling. For the RDM my biggest sail is a ICE 5.7 also no problems here. Up till now I used a prolimit mast base but just bought myself also a mast base from streamline. It looks very solid. and what I like about it, you can replace parts very easily.

sergio k
9th January 2011, 07:51 AM
switched to streamline euro pin in RDM and SDM 5 years ago, used with race sails up to 11 m2, few other guys I know use them with 12m2 with no problems; for salt water, sandy beach the simplicity and durability of streamline is un matched in my opinion... NP looks very pretty but you need their mast foot and downhaul crank doesn't fit...

nonopr
9th January 2011, 06:24 PM
NeilPryde X6 still the best so far for me. No problems after two years. No other have the pulleys in the correct angle.
There is no need to use a crank now days for any good design sail. Sails Designers have lover the tension in their sails. I see a lot of people using cranks and they all broke their pulleys in the sail due to over cranking that crap.
No problem with sand or saltwater in two years and I dont even wash the part in fresh water after using it. By far the best.Neilpryde X6.

sergio k
9th January 2011, 11:04 PM
NeilPryde X6 still the best so far for me. No problems after two years. No other have the pulleys in the correct angle.
There is no need to use a crank now days for any good design sail. Sails Designers have lover the tension in their sails. I see a lot of people using cranks and they all broke their pulleys in the sail due to over cranking that crap.
No problem with sand or saltwater in two years and I dont even wash the part in fresh water after using it. By far the best.Neilpryde X6.
Yup, downhaul tension is lower than it used to be and I know lots of people that downhaul by hand,
BUT it's still LOTS of pressure on your lower back specially if you shift your body in the wrong
angle by accident during rigging, so I still strongly believe never to downhaul without a crank and most
people at my beach feel the same... I'm not saying that streamline is what you have to buy, there're many
good choices, but you dude sound like a NP rep... not cool, people ask for objective advice

Windman
10th January 2011, 04:57 AM
For what it’s worth.

Have used the euro pin NP X3 since its introduction in 1999 and now have 6 of them (allowing multiple sails to be rigged at the same time) ranging in extension sizes from 28 to 48cm and covering sail sizes from 4.2 to 9.8m.

Only problem to date is that the downhaul line occasionally catches a rivet inside the extension tube and you have to “jiggle” the line as you are trying to get it out of the extension during derigging.

I agree with others that a change to Formuline substantially reduces the effort needed to downhaul to max specs and I also occasionally squirt a dry silicon lubricant onto the rollers of the extension and the sail to reduce the effort even more. Whilst I have closely investigated the new X6, it offers no benefit to me, at this stage.

Still have 3 older-model V8’s with the large luff curves and I MUST USE a downhaul crank to get them to maximum downhaul. Must disagree with Sergio K (post #33) in that:

- I use a mix of mast feet (F2, NP, ProLimit) to connect to the mast extension.

- My Chinook downhaul crank fits perfectly in my X3 extensions, see it here: http://www.chinooksailing.com/products/product_info.php?products_id=290.

Segio, I know that nonopr uses Maui Sails and their products extensively and contributes extensively to the Maui Sails forum. He is not a NP rep.

Hope this helps.