View Full Version : Kode 86 or 94

maseg
11th March 2009, 09:13 PM
Hello

I'm looking for a new board which should work on the following conditions:

- chopp / flatwater on lakes
- light wind conditions with medium waves in north france

I'm only 65kg.

At the moment, a have a Pureacid74 and a Kombat97 in technora edition. The Kode in carbonwood edition should replace the Kombat. The Kombat97 feels too big and heavy, jumps not very well and is not fast compared to the Pureacid.
The new board should glide early on light wind conditions with the 5.9 Severne S-1 which is my biggest sail. Don't like bigger sails.

My question:
The guy in my surfshop use for himself also Kode in the size 94. He told me that the board feels much smaller than 94 liters. He change now to the Kode102.
How many liters has the Kode86 and Kode94 really? Is the 86 also smaller than it should be? If the 86 is only arround 80l, I better choose the 94 which seems it is arround 90l.

Whats your experience with the real sizes of Kode86 and 94? Is the guy in the surfshop just fatter than last year? :rolleyes: :D

Unfortunately there is no way that I can test the boards.

Many thanks in advance
Markus

Ola_H
11th March 2009, 10:04 PM
Hi Markus.

I don't know the actual volumes of the Kode 86 nor the 94. But I have sailed it and to me it feels very "86:ish", for sure not anywhere as low as 80 liters. In any case, the 86 is the right size for you when you only weight 65 and will not use a sail bigger than 5.9. It will plane just as early as the 94 and the only positive side of the 94 for you would be more stability when not planing and better performance with really large sails. But that will come at a rather substantial price in terms of much less overall range and a much "clumsier" feel once planing. So, even as a "big board" (up to 6.3) the 86 will be a much better fit and I think it will give you the feel you are missing in your 97.

I'm just over 70kg myself and wouldn't want a bigger fsw board. I've used the Kode 86 up to 6.3 which works great (with a slightly bigger fin than original).

maseg
11th March 2009, 10:41 PM
Hola Ola_H :)

Many thanks for your quick answer. I will go for the Kode86. Especialy with the lightweight carbonwood edition should the board plane early with my weight.

The Kode86 comes with a 25cm Fin, which i think its a pure wave Fin, right? Which size should I additional buy for better performance with the 5.9 sail?(should be a early planing and fast Fin) We often have gusty conditions with arround 4-5 bft in here.

cheers,
Markus

mim
11th March 2009, 11:45 PM
Hi Markus,

nice to see you. have nothing valueble to add here, just wanted to say Hi.
Hope the season starts soon on walensee for me.

Have fun with your new Kode.
Ciao Michal.
PS: Soulrider.com rules! :D

simonedp72
11th March 2009, 11:49 PM
I'm 88 kg and I have the kode 94, for me it is a floating board, I think its volume is right... for your weight it should be too big quite early.. go for k86!
bye:)

nonopr
11th March 2009, 11:59 PM

Many thanks for your quick answer. I will go for the Kode86. Especialy with the lightweight carbonwood edition should the board plane early with my weight.

The Kode86 comes with a 25cm Fin, which i think its a pure wave Fin, right? Which size should I additional buy for better performance with the 5.9 sail?(should be a early planing and fast Fin) We often have gusty conditions with arround 4-5 bft in here.

cheers,
Markus

I have used this board also with up to 6.2 wave sails with a 28cm fin the biggest.

Screamer
12th March 2009, 10:53 AM
Markus

I'll second what others have said. Absolutely no need for 94 for you. I bet you could uphaul the 86 with some practice.
Wrt fin, try Select Freestylewave 27. If you want something more solid than wavey Drake natural, still maneuverable and impossible to spinout - it's an excellent fin. Or if you want to stay with Drake, the Crossover.

Ola_H
12th March 2009, 12:30 PM

cheers,
Markus

It's a pure wave fin indeed. But it's not bad as a B&J fin provided you use it kind of big. So with 5.3 and down I think you'll like it. My advice for the 5.9 is to first try the board with the 25 cm original fin and feel it out a bit before making a decision on how much more fin you want. This is very personal. If the 25 Drake natural feel kind of OK with the 5.9 (it's the size Drake Natural I use in waves with that sail size) then you could go for something like the Drake Crossover (or similar aftermarket) 26 to add a bit more planing power and upwind. If you feel the Natural 25 is very far away from giving the tail the power you think it need you can go up to a 28 crossover. Also if you plan on using outboard straps a bigger fin like the 28 will give a more powerful feel to the board.