PDA

View Full Version : North 'S' Type sails - any good?

Lakkabay
6th April 2009, 08:00 PM
Hi.
After much thought (and advice given through this forum - so thanks for all the help) I've gone and bought myself a Futura 133. I'm now looking for a suitable big, lighter wind sail - don't want to go higher than an 8.5m - and was wondering if North S Types were well received? The reason I ask is that you can use the 8.4m version with a mast extender so I wouldn't need to change my existing 460 mast, plus the boom required isn't that long so I can use my old boom as well saving more money! I know it has 3 cams (the top one being removable) and as it's a North, it'll probably be built very well. However I don't want something that needs loads of wind (like a lot of race sails - stable in a blow but lacking power when less windy). I'm keen to hear what others may think. Thanks.

sebasaguirre94
6th April 2009, 10:55 PM
Hi Lakkabay,
From what i've heard, the Stype's good for slalom and freeride. The stype I saw had the cams starting on the second batten which I certainly don't like as I like the sail to be 'baggy'on the bottom. For formula they are OK and If you are looking for light wind the 8.5 is good. Do they have an 8.5? I think they don't have that number.

Good luck searching for your sail,
Sebastian PER-7

stemeyer
6th April 2009, 11:08 PM
They have 8,4, I got it.
Great sail, plently of power, excellent in Low/mid range but a bit unstable in the high wind range.

Screamer
6th April 2009, 11:30 PM
Lakkabay

I'm sure Stype will perform well for what you want (none of the twin cams need loads of wind, and they all have great low end power), but I'll comment on something else.

I haven't used that combo, but on North Daytonas that I use, I didn't like performance of that Carbon xTender. At all. Try your sail with the xtender, and then with a proper longer mast, borrow one if possible. In my case there was a world of difference, maybe they work better now.

Lakkabay
6th April 2009, 11:53 PM
They have 8,4, I got it.
Great sail, plently of power, excellent in Low/mid range but a bit unstable in the high wind range.

Stemeyer - do you use it with a mast extender on a 460 mast or do you have a 490 mast? Screamer has reservations re the extender.

stemeyer
7th April 2009, 12:04 AM
I use it with the Xtender but have no experience with the sail with the 490 mast so I could not tell the difference.
By the way the first recommended setup is 460 + EXT instead of 490, check north website

Lakkabay
7th April 2009, 03:04 AM
Will do, thanks.

lopss
8th April 2009, 02:21 AM
Well I just bought a Stype 6,6, first time on Norths, I have NP and Gaastra GTX. The ideal mast is 430 but I rigged a 460 X6 NP mast. Just loves the sail, lots of power and planning, acceleration very good and very comfortable. Haven't tried in high winds yet, so I cannot comment the performance in top speed but its not a "race sail", so I liked the feeling and comfort. The wind was 14- 18 knots and my board 2007 Isonic 111, my weight 82 kg.

Unregistered
16th April 2009, 11:57 AM
Hi lopss,

I bought a stype 6.6 2009 too. I will buy a isonic 101 or 111. I would prefer the isonic 101 for windy days. My weight today 83 kg. Till summer 78 kg. Do you sink with the isonic 111? I have no possibility to try out. Is it a great difference between the is101 and is111?

Lopss
20th April 2009, 11:09 PM
Hi, I never sailed the Isonic 101, I agree with you that the 101 is better for high winds, I use the 111 with 7,5 and 6,6, in high winds I use an custom Styrothec from N Zealand 90 litres with 6,0 and 5,2. You should post that question to K Pritchard forum, he is THE guy or in the Ask our team forum. Good sailing.

Lopss
20th April 2009, 11:13 PM
Excuse-me, I do not sink at all, the 111 performs perfectly for our weight, if the wind dies, it will carry you back to shore, no problem.

GFB
21st April 2009, 02:58 AM
Hi Lopss, thank you for the reply. I will ask kevin. I prefer the 101. But I afraid to sink with less volume then 100 liter. Happy Surfing GFB