PDA

View Full Version : The "Not Another iSonic Thread" Thread

k.lauman
20th April 2009, 03:59 AM
Hi there, hope that got your attention.

Really it was a dirty trick because this iSonic thread will be like all the other ones out there!

But wait, don't go! I've got a few questions about the HYPERSONIC, not iSonic. Completely different.

One: Is the hypersonic an outdated design? Don't see anyone making anything like it anymore.

Two: Is it an early planing design? Because I've heard it wasn't ; just a wide-style racer with upwind and downwind vmg in mind.

Three: does it really work with that little Drake fin? What sail range? Can I put a bigger one on? Weed fin?

Four:Will it bust my ankles the moment i take her into mad chop or try to jump?

Five: Can I slog her home upwind if the wind dies? Or is it push though the water like a deflated beach ball?

Six: I've seen some videos online of people planing and ripping in 8-12 knots. Is this true or are they just lying about the wind speed?

Seven: That wood deck has a few worn spots. Repair with epoxy?

My windsurf buddy wants to sell me his Hyper so he can buy an iSonic. Otherwise I'd like to hear some compelling reasons for just getting a new iSonic as well.

Thanks Starboard.

John Kemsley
20th April 2009, 05:08 PM
Which HS does your friend wat to sell you, and what do you weigh?

michelb
20th April 2009, 09:16 PM
I had a IS133, Great board, not the best gyber but it works nice with sails from 5 to 10 mts...... I'm 95 kg and 1,75 mt. The little fin from 5 to 6,7 from there the big one. And for 10 mts I was using a Select elite 52 cm. With this fin and Nitro 3 9,8 I was able to plane from 10 knots.
Fast board and strange with the mast almost in the front of the board. Not a sinker for me.

Saludos,

Michel

andreas
21st April 2009, 01:32 AM
I had the HS105 and then the HS111. HS111 was a GREAT board. A little tricky to get on the plane but then extremley fast. I clocked 51km/h with 6.5m sail.

I was able to plane in 14km/h wind with 8.5 sail, 44cm standard fin and 75kg. I really loved the way the board went upwind. It was not easy to gybe.

Good winds,
Andreas

Screamer
21st April 2009, 07:16 AM
>One: Is the hypersonic an outdated design? Don't see anyone making anything like it anymore.

It's a bit outdated compared to iSonics. It was interesting compared to older narrow slaloms.

>Two: Is it an early planing design? Because I've heard it wasn't ; just a wide-style racer with upwind and downwind vmg in mind.

No it's not an early planer for its width. You have to work to plane (a bit more than on iSonics for example)

>Three: does it really work with that little Drake fin? What sail range? Can I put a bigger one on? Weed fin?

Yes it works with smaller fins than you'd expect, because of that peculiar bottom shape. Massive sail range 6-9, some people pushed it from 5-10m

>Four:Will it bust my ankles the moment i take her into mad chop or try to jump?

It's good for eating chop (again "keel" bottom shape), up to a point, depends on how mad the chop is. Jumping? Not recommended with extreme outboard straps anyway.

>Five: Can I slog her home upwind if the wind dies? Or is it push though the water like a deflated beach ball?

Slogging is very hard work (extremely short length). How much do you weigh?

>Six: I've seen some videos online of people planing and ripping in 8-12 knots. Is this true or are they just lying about the wind speed?

It's possible, light sailors, big sails, good technique. If you're heavy forget it.

>My windsurf buddy wants to sell me his Hyper so he can buy an iSonic. Otherwise I'd like to hear some compelling reasons for just getting a new iSonic as well.

Better acceleration, more reactive, better gybes.

Philip
22nd April 2009, 06:47 AM
HS definitely likes full on race sails for which the standard fin sizing covers an amazingly wide range of sail sizes. Is OK with freerace sails but IMHO is more sensitive to fin sizing and it is necessary to change down fin size earlier than with a race sail. With race sail the amount of float for slogging home is noticeably less and the short length means a bit more of a balancing act. HS realistically is a great medium wind board that becomes that much more 'interesting' over 20 knots average wind speed. Yes chop handling depends on chop and the amount of fin lift you are getting to ride over the chop. For fast runs look for water with a short upwind fetch and away from 'sea walls' that chop likes to bounce off.

k.lauman
22nd April 2009, 10:18 AM
Lots of food for thought, much of it is concurrent with what i've heard about this board.

It's the 111 ltr wood model. Maybe 2004?

I weigh 150 lbs with GO 150 and 110 freeride board. Thought that this might be a good hybrid of both and sell both of those boards.

So: Minuses

It's not an especially early planer. Probably would need more sail power than my biggest 7.5 can provide and when finally on plane I'd probably spend most of my time pointing high, sheeting out and trying to dump power.

Likes race sails, might not work with my 7.5 Naish Koa a big ol' cheapy RAF freeride sail.

Not a jumper with outboard straps.

Is a medium wind board best around 20 knots. ( I'm usually thinking 58cm wide freestyle wave board and 5.0 with these conditions!)

Technical jiber ( the one thing that doesn't need to be more technical for me)

Tough to slog because of stubby waterline.

Pluses:

Might plane in 8 knots with andreas' setup.

Great upwind when planing.

Fast when planing.

Fits into cars easily.

Floaty for my weight.

It's still tempting because of the upwind ability. After years of raceboard and GO I know that typical freeride boards don't offer this kind of upwind power or planing efficiency in this case.

Unfortunately there's too few flat water sailing spots around here. Lots of chop, lots of wind swell, lots of rocky shores and sea walls.

Screamer
22nd April 2009, 08:11 PM
A few more points:

-Although it has an amazing sail range it won't be able to cover as much as two boards combo. I replaced one wide early planer + one 95l axxis with it, but lost a bit in the process.
-I wouldn't say that it's best @ 20knots, depending on water state, solid average 20 knots can already become too much. Note Philip said "interesting" which can mean "hanging on for dear life" for a 68kg sailor ;-) I'd say all things considered it's sweet spot is 12-18 (more if flat, and lower for lightweight with a good technique).
-You are a lightweight, do you really need a 150l Go (in all that chop/swell/seawalls/etc)? You could use a hyper as an early planer, and you won't have to worry about slogging.
-raf sail is not the best choice. To use it to the max in light winds, think around 8.5, freerace is good enough (3 cams)

edit: I wouldn't pay more than about 25% for a hyper now (compared to new iS)

Philip
23rd April 2009, 07:20 AM
I agree with Screamer. My weight is 70 kg and around 15 to 18 knots HS 111 is a flyer, after which the width to length ratio and volume makes it somewhat flighty.

Anyway, for 18 knots plus I would be looking at something like the iS86.

Buying HS second hand you would need to ask how much life is in the hull versus the 'investment' in the skills to make it work effectively versus a modern iSonic.