PDA

View Full Version : Finn for futura 111

Tmac
28th April 2009, 06:39 PM
Hi

I need advise for using right finn with futura 111 l.
I am 80 kg and surfing mainly in flat water wind condition is mostly 4-7 bft.

Equipment:

Futura 111
Hellcat 7,2 / 6.2 / 5.4
Ram F8 6.8 m.

To get max speed performance above equipment ı would like to learn the the suitable finns.I guess it should be race finn but not sure according the length.

I predict 3 finns like 35 / 38 / 41 cm would be good but not sure.Will give me
your opinion?
thanks& rgds
Tmac

Shayne
11th May 2009, 07:30 AM
Hi Tmac,
As nobody more expert has helped you out I just thought I would pass on my experience, for what it is worth.
I bought my Futura 111 mainly to go with my Ezzy 7.5 Infinity which I spend a lot of time sailing here in the Eastern Caribbean. The board has been just great. I am 65 kg and sail in everything from flat water to open ocean.
The original Drake 38 was spinning out on me a bit, something I had never really had a problem with before. After a bit of thought I bought a MFC Liquid Pro 42 and a 44, I am not really into ultimate speed, I just love the carving and jibing.
I was thinking the 44 would be only for marginal days, but I have found that even when I have been caught over powered on the 7.5 with the MFC44, the board still behaves very well. It is now my standard 7.5 fin.
I hope you are enjoying your Futura, I love mine, they are THE coolest looking boards on the water I reckon. I am about to add a new Kode 86 to the collection.
Cheers,
Shayne

jasmin
11th May 2009, 02:32 PM
Hi Tmac,
As nobody more expert has helped you out I just thought I would pass on my experience, for what it is worth.
I bought my Futura 111 mainly to go with my Ezzy 7.5 Infinity which I spend a lot of time sailing here in the Eastern Caribbean. The board has been just great. I am 65 kg and sail in everything from flat water to open ocean.
The original Drake 38 was spinning out on me a bit, something I had never really had a problem with before. After a bit of thought I bought a MFC Liquid Pro 42 and a 44, I am not really into ultimate speed, I just love the carving and jibing.
I was thinking the 44 would be only for marginal days, but I have found that even when I have been caught over powered on the 7.5 with the MFC44, the board still behaves very well. It is now my standard 7.5 fin.
I hope you are enjoying your Futura, I love mine, they are THE coolest looking boards on the water I reckon. I am about to add a new Kode 86 to the collection.
Cheers,
Shayne
Hi Guys,
I have same F111 / 2009 and it is nice. I am 85 / 50 years with 25 years of windsurfing and have similar expirience. I use , for now 7,3 and 6.6 cam sails.
On 14-16 kn finn is 44 race and it works very good, IF wind goes up for same sail I go for 37 Drake without any problem. Still haven,t try 6.6 with 37 but it must be wright combination. I ordered new 8.0 Severne Overdrive and it will ride on 44 fin only. Surfing is in Croatia, wind is about 15-25 witj average 0.5Waves. Futura is riding easy, fast and promising for more radical performance after I get use to new toy under all curcomstances.
Have i nice ride and enjoy

Jasmin

Tmac
12th May 2009, 09:03 PM
Thanks for your reply both Jasmin and Shayna you are kind.

It is surpising that 44 cm finn works vell with F 111 !Not by experience but by reading about board/rig/finn combination I was expecting to use one size up und down finns around Drake 38 which means 35/36 cm sometihng slalom and 41/ 42 cm the same let us say Select SL serie.

One thing is cleaR I need an optional finn which is bigger than Drake 38 for below 16 knot wind condition riding.I do not wanr sacrifice top speed jibing will be more or less ok.

Any other recommendation would wellcome regarding slalom finn size for F 111

thanks again
my wind with you :)

joe_windsurfer
13th May 2009, 07:53 AM
hey tmac. if you look up sailcalculator.xls on the web from james douglass you will see that your fin "guesses" are almost spot on for the sails listed. the tab you seem interested in is called "finsize" obviously. punch in your weight and the sails and you will see some "guidelines". lotsa luck. it seems people are now starting to give fins the attention they deserve....

Tmac
14th May 2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks Joe I will check immediately.