PDA

View Full Version : What sail to buy on my futura 133

alwin
3rd May 2009, 06:14 AM
Hi there,

I want to have some advice on buying a 2nd sail on my futura. Last yr I bought the Neilpryde hellcat 6.7 m2. I now want to buy one for less windy conditions and want to go for appr 8 m2. I am sailing on flat water mainly, I am looking for speed but also the sail should be easy to handle. I can buy the hellcat 8.2 but that leaves me with 2 of the same, is that a good idea, or shall I go for the V6, or .... ??

Too many choices...

Any good tips are wellcome.:)

Cheers,
Alwin

Waiting4wind
3rd May 2009, 06:38 PM
Having the same type of sail can be a good thing for familiarity of rigging and sailing feel. However for a sail that size some cams would help with stability and range. You're making a reasonable jump in size so a bit of extra range on the bigger sail would be good. I would consider the V6, or if you don't mind the wide luff sleeve the V8 is a very good sail.

alwin
3rd May 2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the post, so if you were me you would go for the V6 or V8. The V8 for me is a bit too far for me, I rather go for the V6. Do you have experience with the V6, does it catch a lot of water when you fall in? Some people say its difficult to get out of the water when you fall in (and I still do :mad:) as the mast sleeve is wider compared to the hellcat. Any experiences on this? Also I never had cams, is this a benefit or more a hinderniss. I am intermediaite sailer.

Personally I would love to go for the V6 (you dont buy 2 of same cars either:D) Thanks for anyone who can share his/her experiences on the V6.

Screamer
4th May 2009, 08:45 AM
Alwin

In 8+ size go for cams - 2 if you haven't used them before. Severne Element, North Rtype, V6, etc.
Pulling it out of the water, not really a problem, you have also options to waterstart (with a bit of practice) or don't fall in ;-)

alwin
21st May 2009, 04:47 AM
Hi Waiting4wind and Screamer,

Bought the V6 8.0 recently and it goes really well, need to get used to the cambers a little bit but i thkn i need to get used to the rigging. Top speed is great, wipe outs are painfull.

Thanks for the advise.

Cheers,
Alwin