PDA

View Full Version : Whats your Fav type of windsurfing??

mark h
11th May 2009, 07:55 AM
No wind & bored & rebuilding the MTB!!! Seems like more than half the posts here are iS related. Whats your favourit WS style??

Speed/Slalom

Freeride/BJ

Wave

Freestyle

Formula/long board/racing

michelb
11th May 2009, 08:59 AM
Formula for sure. It's nice to feel the speed in almost no wind.....

Michel

Screamer
11th May 2009, 10:37 AM
Mark

You've left out a few options, so some sailors will be pissed off ;-)

Michelb already reminded you of a Formula, and longboard folk should chime in soon ;-)

Me, I'll probably never learn to sail proper waves (that's one regret), so it's freeride/b/j and some slalom.

Fair winds

crazychemical
11th May 2009, 04:59 PM
i'm with screamer. Freeride/BJ and slalom. Getting interested in freestyle but the spot i mostly sail isn't ideal for it...

mark h
11th May 2009, 05:32 PM
There we go, added formula/L-boards :)

Unregistered
11th May 2009, 06:23 PM
Formula, slalom and freeride.

Farlo
11th May 2009, 07:24 PM
Would call it Freerace. Cruising a bit overpowered with upwind/downwind runs. Mostly in flat or choppy water but also nice swells when possible. I've found that freeride, SuperX and even wave boards can be excellent at that.

squiz
11th May 2009, 08:55 PM
Mark

I like longboard and big freeride cruising + just got into speed and love my fanatic falcon 90.

It bores me just reaching back and forth,so put on the racksack add drink,snacks,spares,gps and go for a big up/down winder !!!

yankiwi
12th May 2009, 04:53 AM
I would like to say waves. But unfortunately I don't think I will ever get good enough. Time on the water is tough with job and family etc. So Freeride/BJ.

joe_windsurfer
12th May 2009, 06:11 AM
would like to know what favorite boards are as well :-)

for me longboarding on the lake - any windspeeds BIC Dufour Wing :)
and trying to blast on FW board on flat to mild chop on St Lawrence Canada
heavyweight 100 kg on 160 liter AHD FF - biggest sail is 8.5 for now - no more $$$$ :mad:
saving for bigger sail and/or Futura 133

andretsin
13th May 2009, 12:39 AM
I'm lucky and I live next to a wave sailing spot. So, of course, my favorite is wavesailing. But I have to tell you that I also like longboarding in any condition. I practise it every weekend if there are no wave conditions. And i like it almost as much as wavesailing.
I also like all the other disciplines, but most of them are included for me in longboard, so I have all of them in one board (formula, slalom, racing, longboard).
I don't practise freestyle. I would like to know some tricks but i'm not interested in learing them ?

13th May 2009, 08:38 AM
These days, I prefer longboarding; cruising, racing, freestyle, instruction, etc. I love the sociability, the versatility, the feel and beauty of being able to sail in all winds, the challenge and the complexity of the sailing you can do on the simplest of gear.

May get back into waves and slalom this year, but not seriously because the logistics are just too difficult these days. Then again, since I'm about to head off for another bunch of X-rays about an old forward-looping injury that's still a major problem, I might be biased!

mark h
14th May 2009, 07:21 AM
Wished I had a local wave sailing spot, I could have learnt to wave sail properly. I always seem to get port tack conditions when Im on my holidays and and end up looking like a clown!!! Living near West Kirby speed course means speed boards & slalom are like A1 for me :)

Waiting4wind
14th May 2009, 07:53 PM
Slalom and Wave

Slalom - big rangy sail, being on the edge, going flat out, everything maxed out...love it.

Waves - just fun and often excited / scary....smashing through some white water and surviving, anticipating the wave jacking up behind you, carving and slashing and not to mention, often crashing.....and thinking.. what the hell just happened.

fran4065
16th May 2009, 09:28 AM
Raceboard and wave; if not... just surfing on 6'4 to 7'8 on 3 to 15 feet waves
Did not practice wave during the last 10 years, before: 10 years on waves every week
(Tiga epoxy wave, tri concave: fantastic board; Light Wave single fin: magic board; F2 wave; and following: various local shapes... but my favorites were the two first boards...)
and before: 10 years on windsurf contests from the original "windsurf" to the Crit D2
Restart 4 months ago on Raceboard: a very big chalenge: very technical, and full of pleasure: I never had such a feeling that I have to improve to reach the full potential of the board: after 4 months and 12 sessions I am only using 2/3 of the stuff potential, gaining the last 1/3 will be a full dream!
I agree 100% with Andretsin!

Del Carpenter
20th May 2009, 11:33 AM
Racing longboards is my favorite windsurfing. I'm not especially good at racing, but racing is my best chance to have other windsurfers around and to learn something. Leaving wind to find windsurfers is worthwhile for me because there are so few windsurfers where I normally sail.

alwin
21st May 2009, 04:09 AM
would like to know what favorite boards are as well :-)

for me longboarding on the lake - any windspeeds BIC Dufour Wing :)
and trying to blast on FW board on flat to mild chop on St Lawrence Canada
heavyweight 100 kg on 160 liter AHD FF - biggest sail is 8.5 for now - no more $$$$ :mad:
saving for bigger sail and/or Futura 133

Yo Joe the windsurfer,

Just to make you more excited, the Futura 133 is great.... best buy in his class so good choice, I had the 2008 one which I exchanged for the 2009 version which is even better. Great top speed. It is worth your saved money and also it helps to get the world economy out of the crisis, keep spending... I am sailing it with the NP Hellcat and the V6.

Regards,
Alwin

eli villalabeitia
22nd May 2009, 09:23 AM
The best windsurf is what the conditions dictate, Formula for light wind, freeride when is up and Bump and jump for adrenaline, in fact the best is not seatting on the beach.

Ken
23rd May 2009, 12:12 AM
Well said eli,

I see it exactly the same way. If there were waves anywhere around, I am sure that I would enjoy that aspect as well.

jonthesailorman
24th May 2009, 03:24 AM
freestyle anybody?

lightwind highwind whatever, freestyle in any of its forms is were its at. the flatter the better in my opinion. if not then full on waves or swollen river swell:)

Unregistered
24th May 2009, 01:01 PM
shortboard sailing in chop and waves is fun ,
but a close second is sailing my standby old formula 155 and a 9.5 and sail around our lake in northern ontario canada.
In august in northern ontario the clean fresh water is warm , the wind warm from the west. ...Ahhhh the best sailing.
The formula hull being wide is just so realizing to sail and balance on gusty days as well.
You just save so much energy in gusty conditions on one of these widestyles. not doing the balancing act.

jonthesailorman
25th May 2009, 07:06 AM
oh i forgot this one, longboard wavesailing in 8-12knts is one of the most fun things possible. ever. period.